A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by Stacia »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?
Jealousy! LOL! It was described beautifully though. Very open, very private, very rich!

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
This is off, I know, but they are seemed like "warm" people to me. Welcoming people who just want their "son" to be happy.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
There was never any doubt that Edward would protect Bella. I was interested though in what would happen. I didn't know that it would be exactly that - that would be the large disaster but I knew something was going to happen because they couldn't spend the entire book being lovey-dovey.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
I think that Bella was probably more nervous just because it could very quickly turn into a life or death situation being surrounded by vampires. Also, there are more people in Edward's family, more intimidation. Plus, Bella didn't really know how to be in that type of situation....granted neither did Edward but at least Edward has the ability to read minds, therefore he could gauge Charlie's reactions ahead of time and he could get a better handle on the situation.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

Not too surprised. The Cullens are very have a very refined polished way of living so I expected their home to reflect this.
2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
Both slightly reserved because they didn't want to alarm Bella, but both very happy and hopeful; yet, troubled with the situation at hand.
3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
I had suspicions that it may pose a problem, but I didn't think anything that big.
4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
Bella because Edward's family with the exception of Rose is more or less supportive of Edward. They also already know everything about their relationship because they don't keep secrets. Bella on the other hand has no idea what to expect from Charlie.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

they're rich so obviously it would be very nice. and being vampires, they must have had a lot of cool things. i definitely wished it was real so i could go exploring.

they both seemed very nice and polite to bella. they were calm and reserved also because this was the first human in their home who knew what they were.

well, it is called foreshadowing. lol. but yeah, i did have a bad feeling.

i think neither of them knew what to expect in the situation. they both love each other and both families could potentially just HATE them. needless to say though, meeting an entire family of vampires would scare me a tad bit more.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

i thought that for some people that wanted to keep a low profile, they had a mighty large house

i liked them, i thought they treated her very kindly

i did not at allll

edward because he has more to hide. lol
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

I was shocked. I thought it would be dark and gloomy, but it wasn't. It was the opposite. It was huge, and bright, and beautiful. Definitely not a place a poor person could keep up.

Carlisle and Esme were really nice people. I thought they really tried to welcome Bella into their family as much as they could.

I was a little worried. Other vampires coming? That's not good. I definitely did think it would turn into some sort of disaster, although nothing to the magnitude that it actually did.

I think Bella is probably more nervous. Edward was the one who brought it up, and he would be able to deal with the situation better than Bella could, considering.

Bella, on the other hand, is a disaster waiting to happen (not her fault), and she was probably nervous about everything that could go wrong.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I'd move in at once :D . It is so big and beautiful that I was really envious, having lived in a rather small appartment my whole life long...
I think it fits and it is nice for the Cullens to have this place where they don't have to hide, as Edward points out.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them?
Charlisle and Esme are two very nice and lovely people. They did what they could to make Bella feel welcome. One can see that they really care for their "family" and that they are happy to see Edward happy at last.

Yes, I guessed that this would turn out to be a big problem.

Bella - because she doesn't like to draw that much attention to herself and because she is afraid that his family won't like her. Edward may be nervous as well, but he doesn't show it as much as Bella does.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in? I figured it had to be a huge house for 7 people to live in; I mean, teenagers take up alot of room... :lol: It's fitting that it's miles into the forest, thus keeping their true nature hidden. I really didn't understand all the pale colors of the decor, though.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them. I love Esme! She is genuinely happy that Edward has found his true love! "There are exceptions to every rule" caught me, too.... I've always like Carlisle; I was a bit taken aback by his history, though... then again, SM's world is diffrent from other vamipre stories.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel? I didn't really pay much attention to that comment until they showed up.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why? Hmm, they both have plenty of reasons to be the more nervous one... I think Bella is the more nervous of the two because she has always felt like she never quite fit in with people; she has finally found where she fits (with Edward), and now she's worried that the Cullens won't like her. She's also nervous about bringing him home to meet Charlie. She's never had a boyfriend, and she hasn't been living with Charlie long, so it's bound to be uncomfortable, no matter who she brought home to meet her dad.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I thought it sounded wonderful. I wouldn't mind living there myself.

2. They are obviously very loving, and do act like the parents of the household.

3. I knew something was wrong, not all vampire's are veggetarian like the Cullens.

4. It depends. Edward because he is meeting a human family. But mostly Bella because she is meeting more people, whom are not the same species as her, even if the do seem, and probably are, some of the nicest people in the world.
ChiaraCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by ChiaraCullen »

I think it is gorgeous!There's no bare,vampires dont sleep!There is a cross!Genial!
They are so sweet and elegant!They seems to be the perfect mum and dad :D
For sure.She seems to be terrified and i've understood something would happen!
Probably Bella was nervous beacause she is a little be shy for love relationship and i think she is a little be scared by them even if she said not to be.
Anyway Edward was also nervous maybe beacause is the first time.

This is one of my favourite chapter
it's the first time that i comment a topic like this in english,i hope u understand :)
what i've said (sorry for my grammatic mistakes :oops:
E cosi il leone si innamorò dell'agnello
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

I guess (since I haven't seen it myself) that I'll take Bella's reactions as my own. Surprise.

Loving, Caring, wanting to make her feel safe, glad for Edward.

My first reaction was get Bella away from there... No, I didn't think it would turn into that big of a deal.

Bella... Because she is scared they won't like her.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella