Alphie wrote:Thank you to December for working on this discussion!
1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?
I think its a mixture of both irrevocable love and that it runs so deep that her passion for Edward could never die and no one else could ever take his place in her heart
2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?
No Jacob is only doing anything he can say or do to diminish Bella's love for Edward by making her feel her love for Edward is sick. Edward was up front at the beginning about her blood and scent being like heroin to him, but that was before they really fell deeply in love.
3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?
I think she is telling Jacob that she really does love him. but her love for Edward is something so big
that she would die for and that is not a rational love. Edward would do anything for her and she knows that, and of course the idea of living with someone forever and loving someone forever is very mystical and has a magic about it. But it is also real to her and Edward, like a fantasy come to life.
4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?
Well Bella turned to Jacob when Edward left her. So if she was just living with Charlie and going to school I do not even know if she and him would have formed that relationship. Jacob and Bella also come from two different worlds too. he being on a reservation and she being just a teenager that is more mature for her age. Jacob is a little immature so I really don't think if Edward didn't wasn't around Bella would go to him. If Edward did not come back and Bella could move past her feelings for Edward she would only be settling with Jacob and that would not be fair to either one of them. Because Edward would always have a piece of her heart.
5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?
Jacob never could believe in the love that Bella had for Edward that is why he played his games, and tugged at her emotions and that is not love. If Bella told Edward that she loved Jacob, Edward would have respected that and let Bella be happy . Jacob could not do that.