A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by edward x lover »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
I think it makes it harder and easier. Harder because now he knows how it tastes and is always gonna want more but easier now because he loves her SO much and he can't live without her so he would never kill her. This incident with James helped him realize that.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
Because he doesn't want to take away her soul and he is trying to change the future.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
Yes I think he does have plans to leave ONE DAY not right then. He feels its his fault for what happened to her and wants to take the danger out of her life.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I think she should wait because she is only 17 and she should finish HS first to make it more natural to the public eye. I don't think he is sensable to flat out refuse but he def has a point.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
I think drinking her blood makes it harder for him to control himself. Once you tasted it, you want more, he would have killed Bella....

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
He does not want Bella to be hurt like he had been, afraid she can't control herself after being a newborn, and starts a rampage killing everyone....

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
Nope, until her birthday, I think he felt dangerous to Bella, after her near-death incident.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I had 2 thoughts.
1: Bella should be a vampire soon.
2: Wait for her to tell her loved ones.

Its kinda confusing, like they say, its temptation.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I actually think it makes it easier. Just because he wouldn't even be able to live with

Maybe because he doesn't want her to miss it once it's gone.

i think he planned to never hurt her. and by leaving her he thought he was going to save her...and her life/soul.

I think Edward was right in a way...and so was bella. i think bella was right becuase she never wanted edward to leave her and she wanted to be with him forever and edward wanted her to be mortal for a bit longer so she could enjoy it.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

Edward definitely has more self-control than he originally thought. Now that he's had a taste of her blood, it would probably make it harder for him to resist, because he would want it more than he ever had. It's like me and turkey... Once I have one bite of turkey, I keep thinking about it, and thinking about it, and thinking about it, until I stuff myself to the point I want to burst. lol

Best comparison I can come up with. :lol:

Because it's also been said before that their future isn't set in stone. If Bella happens to change her mind, then she won't become a vampire. It's all up to the decisions that are made.

Yes, to both questions. Edward already knew that he'd be leaving her eventually.

I agreed with Edward then and now (I'm a few chapters away from finishing Eclipse.) Mortality isn't something to be given up, because it makes life better. Living forever would just be filled with pain, watching everybody you know and love grow old without you and die. It'd be hard.
TheVampireChick
Settled in Forks

Post by TheVampireChick »

He spent so much of the book trying ways to make it easier for the two of them to be together (holdig his breath, trying to get used to it, getting really close) that it seemed like saving Bella from James's venom was sort of a final test for Edward's control. I think, especially considering the circumstances, that the whole thing made it easier for him to resist the temptatio. I think, if he remembers the first time Bella's blood touched his lips, it might even turn his stomach a little.

Because, he also knows that Alice's visions are subject to change. He thinks that if he's really set against Bella becoming a vampire--if he keeps her safe from others and refuses to do it himself--then he'll save her from what he seems to see as a fate worse than death.

I don't think he wanted to, but I think he was ready to do it if he thought he needed to.

I sure as heck didn't think it should happen right away. Most of the seventeen year olds I've known shouldn't make life altering decisions. Bella's decision to become a vampire would have altered her for much longer than her life.
LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

Well I've just read the chapter today (haha no not for the first time!) and so now I can er react to it!

I think maybe its easier for him to resist now, knowing that he stopped and he also suffered the pain of thinking he lost her forever and the pain as he drank the blood at the thought that he may not be able to stop. I think he just takes the smell of her blood to be a huge part of Bellas person maybe and so the transfusion was like thats not my Bellas smell.....!

Changing Bella.... well he doesn't want to change Bella to suit him, it would be selfish he thinks, he doesn't want her life to change so completely because of him, he doesn't want her to miss out, to suffer

When I first saw this question I was like no, no way was he ever even considering doing what he did in NM, but reading again I'm like wait a minute now....., He loves her so completely that he'd be willing to leave her to safe her knowing that it would eat him, crush him, poison him (?).....No he didn't have exact plans, well maybe no plans at all..., I hope he didn't have plans at that point anyway!

no I didn't want bella to be changed right away, i just wanted her human really, it was too soon to do it at that point or anywhere close to that point . Edward was sensible there but i did want Bella to become vampire at some point, just not then
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

I think it is still hard for him to resist, but not as hard as it had been.

Because he loves her and doesn't want her to miss any human thing.

No, I don't think he ever planned to leave her. Given what we know about New Moon, that was a total accident and he didn't want to leave her then, he just doesn't want her to be in danger because of him or his family.

I wanted her to be changed. I would if I were her.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

i think it would definitely be somewhat easier, but then there's the fact that he HAS tasted it. it didn't change how good she tasted, he just had the willpower to stop himself.

it's the last thing he wants, becoming a vampire would hurt her and end her life. and also alice's visions can change so that gives him plenty of reason to not do it.

i dont know if he planned it all out, but i think he knew that he would have to try to leave her so that she could try to have a normal life. we all know how well that one worked out though.

being a vampire lover waaay before these books i was rooting for edward to bite her as soon as they fell in love, but obviously a more sensible person would realize that being a vampire is not all it's cracked up to be. i was really disappointed though when he said he wouldn't do it.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now? Hmm, I think that he had to push away his concerns of his blood-lust in order to save her life in the previous chapter. I think that his love for her outweighs his thirst for her blood. Just like he tells her previously that it would have been so easy if he had run across her somewhere random, it would have been nothing to take her, but the closer he gets to her and the more he loves her, the more he knows he wouldn't give in to the thirst.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella? FINALLY, so many things throughout the story begin to click! Alice SAW Bella becoming a vampire... now the silent communication between Edward and Alice makes sense; I still want to know what they said, tho..:) I was SO frustrated at Edward's resisting changing her! I still think that Bella has a "dazzled" perspective of the vampire life; she only sees it as a way to be with Edward forever; she doesn't consider the other side of the equation, and Edward does.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her? I had to read page 470 several times on my first read-through to understand what he was trying to tell her, and I got mad! I really hoped that he wouldn't leave her, but I kept thinking that they would never work out as a couple if she stayed human!

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? At this point, I was all for Bella changing; she and Edward loved each other, and I knew they belonged together, and I wanted her to become a vampire. Sadly, I never really considered the notion that she would be leaving her family behind; I didn't really know what direction her human story was going after reading Tw. I know it sounds bad, but I got the impression that Bella was needing the love she found with Edward... don't rake me over the coals for this, but it just seems that her parents were kind of hit-and-miss... Bella was the "adult" with her mother, and the care-taker with her dad; in Edward, she found the love that made her feel that she was the protected, not the protector. I feel that with her parents she was always the one who was taking care of things when it should have been the other way around, and with Edward, she could just be herself and let go. I can understand her wanting to be an equal with Edward and wanting something for herself for a change.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I think he has tremendous control in the way he could resist his thirst for her blood. More props to him. I don't think he makes it easier I think it makes it harder because now he knows hoe she tastes and its even better so he has to resist even more so he doesn't end up draining her.

Because he thinks that if he changes her, she'll regret the change and hate him for it, and is there really something worse than being hated by the person you love.

I don't think he had plans to leave her, but he was scared that there might come a day when it would be best for bella for him to disappear, or so he thinks, so he didn't want to break another promise to her so he left it open ended.

I think bella wasn't thinking the decision through completely and she was being quite selfish about it. She wasn't thinking how her decision would affect others and was more absorbed in not being older than edward, which really annoys me, but then again i understand why she would want to be with her love so badly she would change just for him.