A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
prettyrey
Settled in Forks

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by prettyrey »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I think that she is very dependant on everyone else, ESPECIALLY Bella. SHe was on the "road" with Phil and maybe he was very busy with his career she started to feel needy so she called Bella to come and take care/comfort her.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I read that part over a few times and I still missed some points. I think that I was so interested in what was going to happen that I was rushing through.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
I thought that it was normal for a Dad.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
I didnt really put much thought into it. Though I would have loved to see Bella's face when he walked in
5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I thought that he was being a jerk, again and I was mad that he did not explain what was going on to Bella, he just tried to make her feel like she was crazy and halucinating.
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? I thought she must be a "head in the clouds" kind of person.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?No, I barely realized she got hurt.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?Perfectly normal he is a concerned parent.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? He is so awesome.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?Intrigued, definitely intrigued.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Renee is obviously missing Bella, and a worrysome mother.

2. I missed finer points. After I went through it a couple times, I was able to know what really went on.

3. I thought he would be more worried.

4. To me, he didn't seem as much as a father to Edward, more like a brother. That is what I thought until Bella really met him.

5. Frighten.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

My impressions of Renee are that of a mother who isn't there, but wants to be in charge. She wanted Bella to come home yet she is still fawning over Phil. Personally it seems like she just wanted to sound like the concerned parent that she isn't.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

I got it all the first time. I read that part like 3 times to make sure I got it...

I think he did great as a concerned parent. He was worried and right there as soon as he heard about what happened. And as soon as he saw that it was Bella the parenting skills took over. (He might not show them real well in the rest of the book, but there are a few times he gets it right!)

My first impression is that he is worried about his son. Then he is worried about Bella second, but doesn't show it to anyone other than Edward.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?

They pissed me off at first. He should have known that she would see something.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
Nostalgicmiss
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by Nostalgicmiss »

I thought she was being a mother, she was worried and was concerned for her daughter, things are always worse when you can't see the situation for yourself. By this point I had already pegged Renee as flaky so her reaction really wasn't that much of a surprise.
What got me was that Bella was touched by the thoughtfulness of Charlie, it kinda had me wondering how she dealt with things when she was a lot younger, when she worries whether her mom knows how to do grocery shopping, poor Bella must have been doing that since she was old enough to get there herself.

I think I got it straight away, I remember thinking about Edward stood by his car and that Bella, if I remember rightly, made a point to park a little ways away from him. So when she was him that pushed her to the ground the thought was, he was three cars away!!

Typical father, every father worries about his little girl, she hadn't been in his care that long either so he was bound to get upset. Could you imagine having custody of your child for less than a month and she almost gets crushed by a van? It would be a harrowing experience to say the least.

Hot Doctor!!! Yes the comment better looking than any Hollywood actor drew me in LOL. Could you imagine being faced with that while your looking your worst? Someone so gorgeous and with a bed side manner that puts you at ease. Who would need pain killers :lol:

Intrigued me, I knew by this point there was something different about him, so his reaction made him all the more mysterious. Though I was sure knowing Bella was safe made his cold indifference return. I think if she was seriously injured he would have been a little less cold towards her.
He also had a huge secret to keep, one that kept him and his family safe, you couldn't really blame him for being so rigid in his answers, and his sarcasm amused me. 8-)
Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
- Oscar Wilde
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I still can't understand how Edward swing her leg, or how he pushed the van? Two hands or one hands(I reread the part again). I don't get how Bella hit her head.

Basically, I can't figure the whole incident.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I think that Renee can be pretty self absorbed when she wants to be but she usually mostly has bella's best interest at heart.

I has to re-read so many times to finally get the picture perfect i missed do many little bits

Any parent would be freaking out if their kid was almost crushed to death

Charming, caring and confident.

Edward is a very intriguing character
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

That Rennee more what the needy one in the mother-daughter relationship then the way around like it should be. And even though she still looks after her parent in this case too (like the cooking and stuff) I was glad she would have more psychical support then with her mother.

Well I got from the first time that something mysterious happend. Cause Edward obviously wasn't standing right next to her and things like that happen in flashes, you can't comprehend what's happening at the time.
What just happend, I of course didn't knew.

That he showed his emotions for the first time, even though he could express them better. He brought them out.

Nothing much except in my head, he was sexy.
Maybe that's something that stucks in your head after watching to much Doctor Zhivago. Thinking doctor = hot.

Defenitly intrigue me, and pushing more at the fact mysterious things had happened.
And I love the mysterie!
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
RakeyCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by RakeyCullen »

I think it shows that Renee needs to be taken care of and doesn't think things through.

I realized I missed things, but that's because I normally skim rather than read word-for-word.

I think he showed his more fatherly side.

Omg. Omg. Omg. Hot. I want him. Gimme. Omg. Hot.

Intruige me, of course.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I know Renee loved Bella, but she just didn't think of the little details so that's what Bella wasn't used to. I think that when Renee wanted Bella to come home, this showed Renee's concern for her daughter. Her thoughts were so occupied by what had happened that she wasn't thinking logically. I believe that if Bella had agreed to come home, Renee would have been on the first plane back to Phoenix as well.

I pretty much got it all the first time.

It was a typical fatherly reaction and one of the first instances where he see that he can be overprotective of Bella in certain situations.

Calm, courteous, friendly. His relationship with Edward was what I focused on more. I knew their "story" but I didn't know how the coven related to each other. Carlisle seemed to step out of the way and let Edward handle certain aspects so I didn't really see him as Edward's father figure at that time.

Intrigued me.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/