Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 26 - Ethics

Post by diane771 »

Alphie wrote:Thank you to December for working on this discussion!

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?

I think its a mixture of both irrevocable love and that it runs so deep that her passion for Edward could never die and no one else could ever take his place in her heart
2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?

No Jacob is only doing anything he can say or do to diminish Bella's love for Edward by making her feel her love for Edward is sick. Edward was up front at the beginning about her blood and scent being like heroin to him, but that was before they really fell deeply in love.
3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?

I think she is telling Jacob that she really does love him. but her love for Edward is something so big
that she would die for and that is not a rational love. Edward would do anything for her and she knows that, and of course the idea of living with someone forever and loving someone forever is very mystical and has a magic about it. But it is also real to her and Edward, like a fantasy come to life.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?

Well Bella turned to Jacob when Edward left her. So if she was just living with Charlie and going to school I do not even know if she and him would have formed that relationship. Jacob and Bella also come from two different worlds too. he being on a reservation and she being just a teenager that is more mature for her age. Jacob is a little immature so I really don't think if Edward didn't wasn't around Bella would go to him. If Edward did not come back and Bella could move past her feelings for Edward she would only be settling with Jacob and that would not be fair to either one of them. Because Edward would always have a piece of her heart.

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?
Jacob never could believe in the love that Bella had for Edward that is why he played his games, and tugged at her emotions and that is not love. If Bella told Edward that she loved Jacob, Edward would have respected that and let Bella be happy . Jacob could not do that.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this? I really do think that in Twilight there was something to the electric current they felt when the touched for the very first time in Biology. They are Bonded like vampire version of imprinting but not as creepy. Imprinting was really creepy to me at first and still kind of is. I think that if Bella had already been a vamp when she met Edward they would have been just a linked. She was hooked on him from the minutes she laid eyes on him.

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion? No he's more like a part of her. Tho Jake was her sunshine Edward is the air that she breaths or the blood in her veins. She was not fully herself until he came into her life. Ugg i have to quote Jerry McGuire but He completed her and she completed him

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once? Were I guess if the was no supernatural world there would be no Edward therefore no love for Edward. I guess it's how she was able to explain it to herself but there are people everywhere who are in love with 2 or more people at once because of the different qualities each one possesses. Again I believe her connection to Edward was lead by a bonding of some sort but I also Believe that is Edward was just a 17 year old human with the same personality and attending Forks High. She would have fallen in love with him anyway.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right? No More normal yes but better no. Mortal life is boring.

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?He knows Edward better now and realizes that he is not the evil vampire of legend. And knows that The Bella she loves will not be lost as she had thought before.
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?
She never had a choice about falling in love with Edward some things just happen, and her love or him is irrevocable you can't just unlove someone when they're all you want...

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?
Oh yeah big time, yeah it's an addiction.

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?
I don't really know what Bella means, and yeah her love for Edward is unnatural...this question confuses me

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?
Yeah he is.

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?
She's addmited that she loves him too.
**Kathryn**
showjumperachel
Settled in Forks

Post by showjumperachel »

I think that she means that her love for him is irrevocable. She fell in love with him and now she feels like she can't love anybody else. I think that she did initially have a choice but not anymore. She knows what its like to loose him and she doesn't think she can live with that.

I think Jake was right here, I don't really think what Bella and Edward have would be what you call a "healthy relationship". Don't get me wrong, I love that they are together(although after re-reading Eclipse again recently I felt sooooooo bad for Jacob!) but it isn't exactly heatlhy. She does crave him, which to me seems more like an addicition than anything healthy.

When Bella says that I think she's saying that she couldn't feel the way she feels about Edward towards a human being. In Twilight Edward says that he's the most dangerous predator explains that everything about him, like his looks, voice, etc. draws her into him. On top of that she loves who he is, so I think thats what she means when she says it couldn't exisit in the rational world. And techniqually Jacob isn't just your average human being so I don't think that can be her way of justifying how she can love both of them.

I agree with Jacob, to a certain extent. It is to late for Bella to be truly happy without Edward. I believe she could be happy, but after New Moon, I don't think she could be TRULY happy. She knows what she felt like with him, and nothing could make her feel that way when he was gone. Jacob helped her a lot, but she was never as happy as she was with Edward there. If she had never met Edward, I think Bella and Jake could be really happy together, but I wouldn't really say it would be better for her.

I think he feels differently now because Bella has told him that she does love him, too. He probably says this because he has some hope that even if she became a vamprie she would still love him, and maybe just enough to leave Edward. Obviously this doesn't happen, but I think he had hoped that at the time when he said it.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about thiS?
absolutely not!! i mean, it would take a lot outta her to leave edward, but she can still have jake, and he will always be there for her.

yep! jacob is waaayyy healthier for her than edward. i mean, i love the cullens, dont get me wrong. but sometimes edward is soooooo confusing and....excuse the comparison...emo...you know?? i dont know, it just seems like jacob shows his emotions better. bella never has to ask how jacob is feeling, but shes always questioning edward.

silly bella! it doesnt matter what species the person is! you only love and stay with one perosn at a time. :roll:

yep, bellas gotten herself in deep... :roll:

a lot happened in a few weeks and emotions can change in the blink of an eye. a week makes a lot of difference.
Betting on Alice.
tiffrox9
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffrox9 »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake " I never had a choice"?. Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be mad here? Do you think she is right about this?

I think she means all of the above. Bella's love for Edward is like a compulsion, or imprinting. Once Bella fell in love with Edward, she could no longer love somenoe else. And, given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made. And, yes, I do think she is right. Her and Edward are meant to be together whether Jacob likes it or not.

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he's right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?

Yes, and no. What I mean is, yes, Edward is the cause for most of Bella's injuries, or pain, but, he is also the cause for her absymal happiness. Yes, Edward may not be 100% safe for Bella, but they are made for eachother, and that overpowers any pain or injuries any day.

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn't exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?

Well, I must say Edward and Bella's love is unnatural. I do not believe it could exist in the real world we know. But, I do not believe Bella is using this two worlds stuff to make an excuse for loving two people at once. Jacob knows that Bella loves him, but he also knows that she loves Edward more. No amount of two worlds, or magic, or monsters, is going to change that.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the himan life she and he could had had together if she'd never met Edward would have b een better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he's right?

Yes, I think he is right. But, I also think he is dead wrong. If Bella were to leave Edward and live the rest of her life with Jacob, her life would only be safer, not better. But, if she stays with Edward, then her life will be in danger, yes. She will have to overcome the thirst and pain of being a vampire. But, she will be with her true love, which no amount of security or assurance is worth.

5. Jake tells Bella that he'll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she's a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he'd rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?

Well, when Jake said that he would rather see her dead than a vampire, he was still angry and shock, from the news. But, after a few weeks her realizes that he would rather have Bella as a vampire, then not at all.
themeadow
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by themeadow »

- It's almost like what Kristen Stewart said, about how there is something in Bella and Edward's make up that they are both irreversibly altered once they meet. It can't be changed. I don't think she meant that she could never love anyone else, just that her love for Edward is the strongest. In a sense she had a choice, because everyone does, but it was pretty much already made when she started getting to know Edward.

- In a sense I agree with Jake but I think its reversed. Edward and Bella have already had the discussion as to what Bellas blood is for him, but its different for her. She loves Edward first for who he is, and of course because he's just hot ;-). But really, when you find that person you love, you want nothing more than to be with them. So no, I don't think Edward is a drug to her.

- Bella and Edward's love is nothing like I''ve ever come across. The fact that they come from two different worlds is a contributing factor, but it is possible to love with that much intensity in the real world. I don't think that Bella was referring to the mythical aspect, just that this love she has discovered is so incredibly powerful and intense that nothing can ever really break it, even all the mythical stuff, and that kind of intense love is rare.

- I agree in the sense that she wouldn't have to become an immortal creature just to be with Jacob. This love she has for Edward leads her to do some pretty crazy things, very dangerous things. Although being with Jake isn't entirely safe either, neither of them would go through so much risk just to be with each other. Their lives could be pretty close to normal, in the happiest sense of the word.

- Jake's realized that he can't live without her. Hearing what Edward went through when they were apart probably put a lot in perspective for him. He knows that she will always be Bella, and that is enough for him .
These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume.
klutz4life13
Settled in Forks

Post by klutz4life13 »

I think she means that it was like destiny. They were meant to be together. There were really no other options because Edward and Bella were made for each other- it was impossible for her to love Jacob the same way since she and Edward had already found each other. Edward is like Bella's other half- without him, she can't be whole.

I think Jake was right. Bella was broken without Edward....he was her everything. She was so depressed and lifeless without him- it was like she couldn't exist the way she used too. If she were with someone like say Mike, if they broke up or he left, maybe she would be sad but not completely destroyed. Her love is like an addiction. She needs him.

I think the idea of two worlds is how she explains her love for the both of them. She starts out in the human world and in that world, Jacob is her soulmate and they are meant to be together. Once she meets Edward, she is no longer in the human world. She crosses over to the mythical world and in that world, Edward is her soulmate. In the mythical world, her love for Edward is so strong, it cannot compare to her love for Jacob in the human world. She is no longer in the human world therefore she cannot be with Jacob like she would have been if she stayed in the human world.

I think Jacob is right. Her human life would have been better for her than her life with Edward. She would be able to be herself- a human- and be able to have human children and be with her family. She would have been happy and carried on her life well with Jacob. Her life with Edward now will be as a vampire. She will no longer blush or be able to cry. She would be changed- not as fragile and delicate-but still Bella.

I think he feels differently because in the past- when he thought he still had a chance to win her over- the vampire option was out. He couldn't just let her go when he thought there was still hope. Now that he realizes she will become a vampire, I think he understands that he can't win but if she comes back, he'll take her the way she is- even if she's no longer human. I think he figures that having Bella as a vampire is better than having her dead.
to the world you're just one person but to one person, you may be the world :)
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I think she meant that Edward and her were meant to be. A bit like destiny I suppose, but they chose to be with each other, chose to fall in love. So not like imprinting, cos there is no choice at all. What she mean by "never had a choice", I think she means that, she chose to move to Forks, to find out stuff about Edward, but once they fell in love, that was it. They couldn't just switch it off and go back to being only friends. Their love is so strong that, once it happens, that is it. Forever love. They fit each other so perfectly, that without each other, they would be lost.

No I don't think so. I think Edward is perfectly healthy for Bella. Of course, there are dangers etc but it doesn't matter because they make each other complete.

No I think she just means that her love for Edward is so strong that, to her, it seems like no one else could love each other like that, that it couldn't exist in the rational world. I don't think she thinks that her love for Edward is unnatural; it feels to her very natural I'm sure! They just happen to be a human and a vampire. Plus, Jacob isn't 100% human so I don't think she was using this an a way to explain how she could love 2 people at once?

Yeah I'm sure he is. If Bella never had met Edward, then I defo think that she would have ended up with Jacob, and I'm sure she would have lived very happily with him.

I think he's realised that the Cullens are like your typical vampires, and so he must assume that Bella will be similar. He could be with someone like a Cullen, cos he loves her. Also tho, it may just be a last-ditch attempt to let Bella know that he does want her, no matter what.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

I think she kind of means all of them...she never decided to fall in love with him. No one does. It just happens, and once it did, it was final. I guess it was similar to imprinting, just not as immediate. There isn't a choice for her to make, she loves him so much that she just HAS to be with him. I think she's right.
Yeah, I think she is addicted to him. In some ways, she's too obsessed with him. It's not something I think is bad, per se, but it's extremely strong...she's bound to him very tightly and it can be very hard to tell the difference between actual love and obsession. I think she loves him very very much, but she also is addicted to him. The metaphor of a drug is perfect.
Wow, I can't think how to phrase my answers to these. :shock: If the world was rational, Edward wouldn't exist. Their relationship is very irrational; his being there is unnatural and she sees his love for her as irrational. It's also unnatural because if it wasn't for the mythical world, her life wouldn't have taken that course. I think she does think their love is unnatural, because it's so different and separate from the real world. She has a love in each of the worlds, but her love in the fantasy world is more magical and stronger to her. It won out over the normal, natural world. The natural path for Bella to take was Jacob, but the magic of her love for Edward won. I don't think it's stronger because he's a mythical creature. It's possible to love someone that much because of who they are, not because of what they are.
Hmm. If she had had a human life, she would never have had Nessie and been friends with all the Cullens and had so many good experiences with them. Because she loved Edward more, I think a human life with Jacob would have been good, but the absolute happiest she could be would be with Edward. It would have been a healthier life for her if she was human though.
He knows there's no way she's going to stay human. The only way she could be alive at all is as a vampire. He wants to be with her so much that he would do anything, even if she was a vampire. He's run out of options, and if that was his only chance, he would take it.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa