Chapter 23: Memories

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 23: Memories

Post by Alphie »

The wonderful Una provided these questions for us this time!

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturri?

2. Jealousy is a very real emotion and a difficult one to assuage. Bella is fighting the jealousy she feels towards Jacob over Renesmee. What were your feelings and thoughts when Renesmee and Bella spent the afternoon together? What was your reaction over Renesmee’s feelings towards Jacob? If you were Bella, how would you handle these feelings of irritation and jealous knowing now how both of them feel towards each other and your own relationship and feelings towards Jacob?

3. What was your reaction to the mention of the Irish Coven? What do you think they are like? Did you have any thoughts when they were brought up? Did you feel a sense of foreshadowing at their mention?

4. The rupture between the packs has been resolved since Jacob’s imprinting on Renesmee. Why does Leah continue to stay with the Cullens if she appears to be so unhappy there? If you were Leah, would you leave?

5. It seems that wolves have a natural repulsion to vampires and vice versa (it is difficult to be around something that smells horrendously foul to you). However, Seth is quite content to be not only around the Cullens, but be touched by them. If you were Seth, how would you answer the question of how are you able to do that? Is he special in some way that the smell and touch of vampires is not instinctively repulsive?
TeamEmmit
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 23: Memories

Post by TeamEmmit »

. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family, from the Volturri?
I think the best thing would be to say that Bella recovered and then stay away for like a year saying that she and Edward are traveling around the world. Maybe, even take a few trips and send some post cards. Then, after that time just let Charlie see her and make his own conclusions like they planned.

2. Jealousy is a very real emotion and a difficult one to assuage. Bella is fighting the jealousy she feels towards Jacob over Renesmee. What were your feelings and thoughts when Renesmee and Bella spent the afternoon together? What was your reaction over Renesmee’s feelings towards Jacob? If you were Bella, how would you handle these feelings of irritation and jealous knowing now how both of them feel towards each other and your own relationship and feelings towards Jacob?
It would be frustrating at times, but I think overall I would be happy that Jake was happy. I would also feel comfort in knowing that Renesmee is so loved and protected.

3. What was your reaction to the mention of the Irish Coven? What do you think they are like? Did you have any thoughts when they were brought up? Did you feel a sense of foreshadowing at their mention?
The mention of them did not stick out to me very much because I was focusing on Renesmee and Bella. I briefly thought they were using it to identify Bella's power.

4. The rupture between the packs has been resolved since Jacob’s imprinting on Renesmee. Why does Leah continue to stay with the Cullens if she appears to be so unhappy there? If you were Leah, would you leave?
I think it's hard because her choices are run with the old pack, be by yourself where you will most likely be thinking of all the bitter memories, or be around your new pack and some stinking blood suckers, and I would probably alternate between being by myself and visiting with my new pack and their stinking friends.

5. It seems that wolves have a natural repulsion to vampires and vice versa (it is difficult to be around something that smells horrendously foul to you). However, Seth is quite content to be not only around the Cullens, but be touched by them. If you were Seth, how would you answer the question of how are you able to do that? Is he special in some way that the smell and touch of vampires is not instinctively repulsive?
I would say, you get used to the smell and their cold skin really isn't that bad. After hanging out with them, they are my friends and I'm able to look passed those things and see them for who they all are. They are no longer "filthy leeches", but actual friends.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturi?
I don't think I could handle saying I was ill or dead.. I'd do what Bella did. Hiding it from the Volturi.. Just say he'll be changed, and uh.. get Alice to.. see it? :P

I would've been so annoyed. One minute he loves you - then you wake up and hes fallen for you're daughter?! I'd feel pretty annoyed that he knows her better than I do.. But once I saw that Jacob was in her thoughts and memories.. I have to admit that was cute. But I don't think thats because she likes him back, but hes basically been the main person in her life.. so far. :( Stupid Jacob.

Didn't think anything of it really. I just thought it was another special gifted coven like the Cullens.

I guess since Jakes the Alpha.. Leah has to follow Jake, and do what he wants? I don't really think she has much choice. Jake likes the Cullen, and so does Seth.. so shes stuck.

I guess cause Seth is such an easy going boy, and he actually likes the Cullens, so I don't think it matters to him. Kinda like with Bella and Edward - Bella loved Edward, so she didn't care about what he was.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturri?
Even if they left Charlie would still suspect too much. I think they handled things the best way they could. By that I mean, leaving him on a need to know basis is the best way. He does not know enough to really get put in a tight spot but he knows enough to know not to ask questions. Even if the Volturri suspected that Charlie knew too much he would be able to prove he knows nothing that could cause the vampire world trouble.

I thought it was really sweet when Bella and Renesmee finally get to spend time together. Nessie is a little girl so it was fine that she loves Jacob the way she does. He brings something to her life that vampires can't; he allows her to be part of the human world without too much trouble (ex: the birds that come around Jacob and not the Cullens). I don't blame Bella for being irritated and jealous, she is Nessie's mother and she has to compete with Jacob who did not even care if Nessie was born or not. If I had been Bella I would have tried to keep my issues to myself and let them go. Bella knows that Nessie loves her and in a completely different way than she loves Jacob. It would be important to try and let it go so that I could be a good mom to Nessie and still maintain my friendship with Jacob.

I really didn't think anything of the Irish coven when they were first mentioned. Looking back it should have been obvious because things are not included in a story for no reason at all.

To some degree I think Leah is sort of interested in the Cullens. I don't think she likes them but I think she is curious about them. But, I think the biggest reason she stays with Jacob and the Cullens is because of Sam. Sam is still the leader of the other pack and she still does not want to be under his command; it's just easier on her heart and her mind.

Edward has said that Seth has one of the kindest minds he has ever heard. I think Seth is just very open minded and able to get over the smell. If you are around something for a long enough time you will get used to it. Seth likes the Cullens and he is able to put aside the things he hasbeen taught about vampires and accept them and their smell.
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturi?

I would either do what Bella did and let him just try to figure things out for himself or say they are traveling in Europe, and then say they are away at college.

I don't think she was jealous of Renesmee as a romantic rival, but just as someone who has to vie for her attention and affection. I also don't think Jake would be insensitive to Bella's feelings. Although he doesn't love her in a romantic way anymore, he still loves her like a sister. I never got the feeling he was trying to steal her away from Bella. He knows Renesmee needs parents and to have a childhood.

I didn't think much of it, but figured it was some sort of foreshadowing.

Leah blames the vamps for everything that's happened to her. Their return made Sam a werewolf, thus losing him, and the expanding numbers made her a werewolf. However, being in Jake's pack let her get out of Sam's head and as a result she and Jake came to respect each other and she got to be 2nd in command. Another perk was that she got to look out for her brother. For once, she wasn't unwanted once Jake got used to having her around. That has to be a HUGE relief for her. I love Leah. She's one of the most complex characters in the series.

Like the others said. Seth is happy-go-lucky. He's still a younger werewolf so he didn't have the hatred of vamps ingrained into him like the older wolves had. Edward also said that Seth has such a pure mind, so Seth doesn't care who you are, but what you do with that. In other words, for Seth, actions speak louder than words and the vamps have never done anything to make him dislike them. I also see him as a 'call-it-like-you-see-em type'.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturri? I don't thinks he shoujld feign death. I think she should just stay away for a while to get used to her new life & be able to handle being around humans

2. Jealousy is a very real emotion and a difficult one to assuage. Bella is fighting the jealousy she feels towards Jacob over Renesmee. What were your feelings and thoughts when Renesmee and Bella spent the afternoon together? What was your reaction over Renesmee’s feelings towards Jacob? If you were Bella, how would you handle these feelings of irritation and jealous knowing now how both of them feel towards each other and your own relationship and feelings towards Jacob? I am totally with Bella on this one. It really bugs me that Jacob's always with her & taking care of her & Bella not being able to spend as much time with her. If it was me I'd be unhappy & feel the same way. Renesmee is her baby and she should be able to be with her & bond with her. (I understand why they keep her away for safety reasons. I just think it should be Edward or Esme taking care of her.)

3. What was your reaction to the mention of the Irish Coven? What do you think they are like? Did you have any thoughts when they were brought up? Did you feel a sense of foreshadowing at their mention? I didn't think too much of it. I just thought it was cool.

4. The rupture between the packs has been resolved since Jacob’s imprinting on Renesmee. Why does Leah continue to stay with the Cullens if she appears to be so unhappy there? If you were Leah, would you leave? I think it's because she'd rather be there than in Sam's pack. Plus Seth still hangs out & she probably wants to make sure he'll be okay. If I were Leah I don't think I'd leave, but I don't know.

5. It seems that wolves have a natural repulsion to vampires and vice versa (it is difficult to be around something that smells horrendously foul to you). However, Seth is quite content to be not only around the Cullens, but be touched by them. If you were Seth, how would you answer the question of how are you able to do that? Is he special in some way that the smell and touch of vampires is not instinctively repulsive? I think it's partly because he really doesn't care and can ignore that. But I don't know I've never thought about that before.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

YAY!!!another new thread....cool 8-) :D

First of all, I don't think they should have told Charlie that Bella was ill when they got back from the honeymoon, because even she knew that one way or another she was either not going to survive the pregnancy human or die trying. Then after she survived they should have gone away to college at Dartmouth as planned and stayed away for a few years while telling Charlie that she was too busy with school to come home....maybe she could have "majored" in something really difficult since her vampire mind could handle it and then whether she was taking those classes or not at least that's what they could have told Charlie. Then once they had been away for a while the changes in Bella would not be such a shock and then let Charlie come to his own conclusions.

I thought it was really sweet the way Renesmee wanted to show Bella everything that had happenned while she was "recovering". It showed how much she cares for her mother and was worried about her. I was a little weirded out by Renesmee's feelings for Jacob. Maybe it was because we normally we cannot tell what a newborn child is thinking, much less having such intense feelings for someone who is not their parents...then you factor in her accelerated growth and the unique situation of imprinting...its all very strange and hard to keep straight. If I were Bella I would have probably reacted the same way as she, did maybe worse...like I said its very hard to keep straight.

I didn't really put much thought into them at all. I figured they were just mentioned in passing, trying to figure out Bella's extra ability.

I think Leah stays with the Cullens because it is too painful for her to be around Sam. I think she mentions that she would rather leave Sam so he could be happy with Emily, than to be a witness to that happiness. If I were Leah I think I would stay with the Cullens even though it would not be pleasant with the smell or the vamps all around. I think I would stay with them because at least I would have some peace or silence in my own mind and not some multiplied reflection of each others pain back and forth. Plus she worries about Seth's safety with the Cullens. I think that she feels that since he does not feel the need to be cautious around them, that at least she should compensate for that.

I am not sure if I could do what Seth does to control the urge to stay with the Cullens. I guess he just looks past the smell and sees the person they really are. I think he must have his own kind of special ability or something....like as long as they don't feed on humans, he doesn't hold grudges or stereotype them.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

I don't think hiding away would solve anything, but then neither would faking death, mainly because Bella, still being Bella would not be able to lie still in a coffin listening to her parents and Phil crying over her. I think the way Jacob introduced him to it was for the best, even if Bella was still untested in the being around humans. If the Cullen's had just disappeared, Charlie would not have stopped looking for her, and Bella knows that. Besides she loves her father and knows doing anything other than what he did would hurt him beyond belief.

I kind of understand Bella's view, Jacob has effectively stolen Nessie from Bella before she gets the chance to even see Nessie and the fact that Jake and Nessie's bond rivals that of mother and daughter surely is enough to make anyone jealous, but i'm not a mother, so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.

The Irish coven didn't really scare me, there were times when i was very intrigued by them, they are so dependant on Maggie (and i talking about the right coven here), and her ability to detect when she is being lied to, so i wonder what would happen if that stopped working, or like Alice's visions, didn't work with other 'species' of supernatural beings, where would that leave the coven?

I think Leah stayed because she didn't want to be apart of Sam's pack. The hanger on, seeing every bit of Sam's life, seeing that he actually couldn't control what happened with his imprinting, she understands that, but doesn't want to. So yeah, i'd stay at the Cullen's because anything is better than seeing into Sam's mind.

Seth is very young, and due to the fight with Edward in Eclipse realises that vampires like him can be trusted not to kill them when Seth's back is turned. Also he can probably be 're-wired' so to speak because of his youth. He's just bonded with the veggie vamps, even though they smell repulsive, they possibly smell different to the normal vamps because of their diet, so a little less repulsive...rambling here, need to shut up lol.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Running away is the best course of action other than the one they chose, of course.

I wouldn't be jealous, I'd be happy they were both happy.

Surprise, they don't usually talk about many other covens, but I didn't think much about them until they came to the Cullen's house.

She stays because Jake is the Alpha and she's his beta, now. Plus her only other good option is Sam's pack.

Maybe he just ignores the smell.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I don't think feigning death would be a good idea. First of all, it would be difficult to play dead even for a vampire. And knowing that her parents were grieving over her would just break Bella. I think they should have run away for a while, or at least say that they did. Just prentend to go straight from their honeymoon to college.

Well, I don't think that Bella was jealous because of the love Jacob had for her. She was angry and jealous because Jacob tried to restrict her own time with Renesmee. Jacob needed to respect the need for a bonding time between a mother and her daughter. I would have been annoyed too. But I would have tried not to show it in front of the baby. Jacob was far to possessive of Nessie. It was not his job to protect her from her mother. It was up to Bella and Edward to decide.

Not really...

Where would she go? Back to Sam was not an option. She was too hurt to be around him when she didn't have to be, I think. And she had grown fond of Jacob, I think and felt okay with being by his side.

I think he can sense the smell just like the rest of them, but he just ignores it. He is such a sweet guy, and he doesn't care what people are as long as they are his friends. He bonded with Edward, and nothing could break that bond. He was loyal to his friends, and enemy lines didn't break bonds like that.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~