Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Rachelle LeFevere as Victoria

Post by Amanda Beth »

You completely misread what I said. I think Rachelle or actually her management (I would probably put the blame on them and I wouldn't be surprised if she got new representation) is just as much as fault as Summit, if not more. I don't think Bryce's name helps the movie at all -- they will be successful regardless of who plays the minor characters.
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

What I liked about the first movie and NM is that they cast relative unknowns (with the exception of Dakota Fanning) and I wish they would have given a newcomer a chance with the Victoria role. It just seems like all these established actors want to hop on the bandwagon and in regard to the soundtrack all these bands are wanting on too because they know it's easy way cash in. I liked that Hailey from Paramore was a fan of the books before the craziness and fought hard to get them on the soundtrack.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

Hmmm. Maybe I did misread your post, Amanda Beth. Let's clarify:

I am saying both parties were in the wrong, but as we don't know if any contracts were actually breached, I am more inclined to believe Rachelle's statement. From where I stand, it looks like Rachelle will have a lot more to lose than Summit. Like you said, it is probable that the movie will be successful with or without Bryce Dallas Howard. Or Rachelle Lefavre, for that matter. I do believe Rachelle's management had something to do with it and I hope she did get new representation.

I understand that you believe Rachelle is more to blame because she booked a job with another film and didn't tell Summit until a few days ago. And due to that, Summit is well within their rights to fire her and hire another actress for her part.

IMO From a business standpoint, it is not demonstrating integrity to me to fire someone who has been an integral part of the project for more than 2 years and hire someone else with a better resume. Nor does it seem right to refuse to compromise, as previously done with other employees, or to imply that such abhorrent actions are validated on the basis of a mere scheduling conflict.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
LionandLamb123
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LionandLamb123 »

I'm sure most of you know this, but for those who haven't, this is what Summit has to say: (from http://www.hisgoldeneyes.com)

We at Summit Entertainment are disappointed by Rachelle Lefevre’s recent comments which attempt to make her career choices the fault of the Studio. Her decision to discuss her version of the scheduling challenges publicly has forced the Studio to set the record straight and correct the facts.

* Ms. Lefevre’s representatives were advised as early as April that THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE was expected to start shooting in early August.

* If Ms. Lefevre was, as she describes “passionate,” about being part of THE TWILIGHT SAGA, we feel that she and her representatives would have included us in her decision to work on another film that would conflict with the shooting schedule of THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE.

* It was not until July 20th that Summit was first informed of Ms. Lefevre’s commitment to BARNEY’S VERSION, a commitment we have since been advised she accepted in early June. Summit had acted in good faith that she would be available to fulfill her obligations both in terms of rehearsals and shooting availability for THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE. We feel that her choice to withhold her scheduling conflict information from us can be viewed as a lack of cooperative spirit which affected the entire production.

* Furthermore Ms. Lefevre took a role in the other film that places her in Europe during the required rehearsal time, and at least ten days of THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE’s principal photography. This period is essential for both rehearsal time with the cast, and for filming at key locations that are only available during the initial part of production.

* Contrary to Ms. Lefevre’s statement, it is simply untrue that the Studio dismissed her over a ten day overlap. It is not about a ten day overlap, but instead about the fact that THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE is an ensemble production that has to accommodate the schedules of numerous actors while respecting the established creative vision of the filmmaker and most importantly the story.

The fact remains that Ms. Lefevre’s commitment to the other project - which she chose to withhold from Summit until the last possible moment - makes her unfortunately unavailable to perform the role of Victoria in THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE.

And here's a statement made by Rachelle:

“I was stunned by Summit’s decision to recast the role of Victoria for ‘Eclipse,’” Rachelle said in a statement to Access Hollywood.

On Tuesday, Summit announced that Bryce Dallas Howard would be taking on the role in “Eclipse,” due in May 2010.

“I was fully committed to the ‘Twilight’ saga, and to the portrayal of Victoria,” Rachelle continued, explaining the turn of events that led to the casting change. “I turned down several other film opportunities and, in accordance with my contractual rights, accepted only roles that would involve very short shooting schedules. My commitment to ‘Barney’s Version’ is only ten days. Summit picked up my option for ‘Eclipse.’ Although the production schedule for ‘Eclipse’ is over three months long, Summit said they had a conflict during those ten days and would not accommodate me. Given the length of filming for ‘Eclipse,’ never did I fathom I would lose the role over a 10 day overlap. I was happy with my contract with Summit and was fully prepared to continue to honor it. Summit chose simply to recast the part.”
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

After reading both statements multiple times, I have finally come to the conclusion of I don't know. Nobody does other than Rachelle and Summit.
Was it Summits fault? I mean, looking at the fact that they rehired SO FAST and with such a successful actress who has a dad with a big name, it could be. They came out with a statement that mimicked Rachelle's, but tried to defend themselves with it by saying "no, no, no. It’s all on HER!"
Or was it Rachelle’s fault? I mean, she did notify them of her scheduling just days before it all began, and she did know that both movies were to begin filming at around the same time.
How about both? Did the lack of communication and willingness to compromise on both sides lead to this abrupt end to Rachelle’s career in the Twilight franchise? I mean, Cam obviously did it with Twilight. Couldn't they have done it here?
The fact is, we will never get the whole story. Both sides of the argument can provide very fair evidence, but nothing will ever be certain to us. I personally want to side with Rachelle SO BAD because of where I stand as a viewer of the movies. Having met her, I know that she is a kind person who wants to make the best movie for the fans, and I really wish she could bring that sort of passion to Eclipse. However, then again, Summit's statement overwhelms me. It makes me lean towards the "Switzerland" line because they have some facts that can't be ignored.

So, that’s exactly where I stand. I. Am. Switzerland.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
DangerMagnet43
Settled in Forks

Post by DangerMagnet43 »

After looking things over, I see there is some fault on both sides. However, they have worked with all the other actors on their shooting schedules. For whatever reasons they chose not to do this with Rachelle, which is within their rights. I believe that Rachelle (or her management) made the "mistake of omission" by not checking with Sum.

So we know some of the sordid/damage control issues. Can we do anything about it? If everyone wants Rachelle to do it, can we ralley for her? Would she be willing to drop the other pic in favor of Eclipse? Everyone rallied so hard fo Jacob (although for different reasons) and the director chose Jacob after taking all the fans into consideration.

The other thing I wondered is: Did David Slade have any input on this? Being the director would he have a say?

And taking out the emotions and looking at the busines side: yes, summit had the options, but I think it could have been handled better; she could have been offered a choice.

So is it possible for the role to be casted back to Rachelle?

I'd be interested in everyone's comments.
themeadow
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by themeadow »

That was my point earlier, but I guess it didnt come off that way. KStew and RPattz both are doing movies in between Eclipse, and Summit found out about Rachelle's deal 10 days ago! So, regardless of the politics of the whole thing Rachelle is atleast partly to blame. She could have mentioned it to them earlier, and possibly avoided this whole mess.
These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume.
DangerMagnet43
Settled in Forks

Post by DangerMagnet43 »

Your message was perfectly clear, lol. I am just wordy and wanted to agree with you, lol
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I'm pretty sure there's way too much animosity between Rachelle and Summit now for her to be recast... and I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't have announced Bryce's recasting if she hadn't signed a contract. A legit reason to terminate her contract would NOT be because the internet is whining that Rachelle was let go lol.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Its annoying when directors/management dont keep consistency with who plays who over a series of films. It just confuses the matter and isnt the same. It loses some of the magic...

Its more particularly a bad move when the character that they are actor changing has such a big role to play in the film!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."