Jacob and Nessie

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby ringswraith » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:54 pm

...
Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby Angelvamp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:06 am

I also agree with elisemusta and holdingoutforjacob, Jacob deserved better. I really don't buy most of what happened in BD, as far as the characters and the culmination of their situations go.

I never really thought about the future for Jacob, but he is the heir to the tribe. I don't think he will desert his post, as it were, to follow Nessie around with the Cullens. After all, she is supposed to be fully mature in just 6 years. She could always go back with him to the reservation, couldn't she? She may not want to remain with the Cullens, she may want to pursue her own interests. And she probably would want Jacob to be happy too. I don't necessarily think imprinting on Renesmee will take away Jacob's life or destiny. I would like to think that instead of losing a prince (Jacob), the tribe is gaining a princess (Renesmee). From the descriptions in BD, it sounds like when she matures Renesmee would be quite formidable.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
User avatar
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby Pendragon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

elisemusta and HOFJ, you've basically stated my opinion of Jacob imprinting. The thing I disliked the most about this was how it was used to cheaply resolves some issues. Instead of Jacob moving on from Bella, he simply imprints and Bella can now have Jacob in her life, yet another perfect thing for her. Leah is the only character who has any hope of resolving her issues by her own strengths.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 am

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby funkidiva » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 am

I hadnt thought about it like that i.e. Bella gets an easy way out and doesnt have to feel guilty or have a hard time etc. Good points made by you guys and its true. Suddenly everyone is fine and forgotton about the hurt Edward and Bella put Jacob through and everyone is happy with no sorries or explanations. Hmm...
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
User avatar
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:47 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby Pendragon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 am

funkidiva wrote:I hadnt thought about it like that i.e. Bella gets an easy way out and doesnt have to feel guilty or have a hard time etc. Good points made by you guys and its true. Suddenly everyone is fine and forgotton about the hurt Edward and Bella put Jacob through and everyone is happy with no sorries or explanations. Hmm...


Yeah, that's basically one of the things I hated most of BD. Everything was wrapped up way way too easy. It would have been a bit more believable if Jacob and Leah had gotten together and not use a cheap plot to keep him and Bella friends i.e. Nessie.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 am

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby funkidiva » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:17 am

I was kinda hoping Jacob and Leah would get together but no...
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
User avatar
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:47 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 am

Pendragon wrote:
funkidiva wrote:I hadnt thought about it like that i.e. Bella gets an easy way out and doesnt have to feel guilty or have a hard time etc. Good points made by you guys and its true. Suddenly everyone is fine and forgotton about the hurt Edward and Bella put Jacob through and everyone is happy with no sorries or explanations. Hmm...


Yeah, that's basically one of the things I hated most of BD. Everything was wrapped up way way too easy. It would have been a bit more believable if Jacob and Leah had gotten together and not use a cheap plot to keep him and Bella friends i.e. Nessie.



Yah the whole last half of BD was just rushed with thin plot devises...There was a need for their to be an ending for the characters that SM could feel good about. Too bad, if she would have left it hanging she might have been compeled to write another book to give us a better ending...who knows maybe she will
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby alicealais » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I really wasn't a fan of Jacob imprinting on Nessie...like other people, I thought it was an easy way for Stephanie to resolve some of the past Jacob/Bella relationship. Albeit in a slightly creepy way. I would have much preferred if Jacob had gone on to find love with someone completely different, to show that he had moved on from Bella. Having him imprint on her daughter just makes it weird. I thought he deserved better than that, to be honest.
alicealais
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby tennisnutter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Jacob and Renesmee...is creepy. Putting aside the age difference. I can deal with the 17 (?) year age difference because it can work under the right circumstances. Celine Dion and her husband for example.

However, I can't stand the thought of a 17 year old falling in love with an infant (who isn't even old enough to have a personality yet) and that infant is being raised with the expectation/pressure that she will eventually have a relationship with Jacob, no question. I hate how her choice was essentially taken away from her at birth and how "big brother/uncle Jacob" will eventually become "my boyfriend/husband, Jacob". Does not compute. =/

I think I just have a problem with imprinting in general.
tennisnutter
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Postby Pendragon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:48 am

tennisnutter wrote:Jacob and Renesmee...is creepy. Putting aside the age difference. I can deal with the 17 (?) year age difference because it can work under the right circumstances. Celine Dion and her husband for example.

However, I can't stand the thought of a 17 year old falling in love with an infant (who isn't even old enough to have a personality yet) and that infant is being raised with the expectation/pressure that she will eventually have a relationship with Jacob, no question. I hate how her choice was essentially taken away from her at birth and how "big brother/uncle Jacob" will eventually become "my boyfriend/husband, Jacob". Does not compute. =/

I think I just have a problem with imprinting in general.


I too do not like the Jake/Nessie relationship, but I think Jake get's the short end of the stick not Nessie. I mean Jake will be whatever Nessie wants him to be for her and she can still choose who she wants to be with. She will defiantly not be pressured into loving him like a lover. In the end she has control over him.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron