Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Openhome »

Edward came from a well-to-do family, so he may not have used much slang. However, the list of slang used from 1900 to 1920 is long and colorful.
Here are two sites that you can use to pick up some idea of the range of slang:
http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm
and
http://www.englishdaily626.com/slang.php?150 (you need to scroll down)

I am working on a fanfic of Alice, and I used these sites to get some correct slang for the work.

The middle and upper class firmly looked down on slang, and Edward is a bit of a snot, so he may have chosen not to use the slang of the time. Some of these would have been great additions though!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

What I really want to know is what Alice says in her head that makes Edward reply, "But keep your thoughts to yourself."
What was she thinking?!!!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

debussygirl wrote:What I really want to know is what Alice says in her head that makes Edward reply, "But keep your thoughts to yourself."
What was she thinking?!!!
I thought we were supposed to take that to mean he didn't want her talking about the visions she'd seen about Bella becoming a vampire, and not to tell her how one becomes a vampire.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I thought about that too, but it says he smiled. And for some reason I can't picture him smiling when she's thinking about Bella becoming a vampire.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

I don't remember it saying that. Oh well.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

There are several parts of MS that I hope SM fills out more. I guess that is why it is a rough draft.

I would love to see the Cullen family through Carlisle's eyes, myself. I think he has a very interesting perspective on things, and I just bet seeing what his "children" do would be hillarious through his eyes. I know watching and dealing with my own kids is both a headache and a riot. Can't imagine dealing with immortal, grown ones.

Besides, he has seen and been through so much. As a historian, the story has endless possibilities.
Mrs WaylandCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs WaylandCullen »

i just love midnight sun. to say the truth, i was looking foward to midnight sun more than any other book in the whole series.
i love the depth of his love for bella, the pain he feels when hes around her, and the way he STAYED around her though it would be easier to be away from her. the way his family communicates with him and his 'special'-for the lack of a better word- relationship with alice.

before midnight sun i never really got into edwards head but now im more in love with him than ever !!!
So the Lion fell in love with the Lamb
Marry me first
You compare a single tree to a entire forest
Do you want me to sing to you? I'll sing all night if it will keep the bad dreams away
lionlover
Wandering Through Town
Location: Listening to Debussy with Edward, in his bedroom ;)

Post by lionlover »

Alphie wrote:And then this is a bit sick and twisted of me, but I get a real kick out of how vicious Edward's thoughts are toward Mike Newton. It makes me chuckle darkly when ever he thinks about murdering Mike. Sick, I know, but at least I'm being honest.
I also love the vicious thoughts of that vile Mike Newton... :lol:

Being a latecomer to Twilight, I read Midnight Sun before Twilight (I saw the movie first though). So that really helped when I read Twilight to understand Edward better than those who haven't read Midnight Sun. It was unnerving to read about the moral battle he was constantly fighting with himself. I can only imagine how difficult it was for him to decide between trying to stay away vs. keeping her safe vs. staying in her life... I think reading Midnight Sun first also determined my strong support for him. I'm dying to read the rest of the book, especially the chapters Confessions and Mind Over Matter, from his perspective! I really hope Stephenie Meyer finishes it!
"Do I dazzle you?" -Edward Cullen
"Frequently" -Me

lionlover
Wandering Through Town
Location: Listening to Debussy with Edward, in his bedroom ;)

Post by lionlover »

Alphie wrote:And then this is a bit sick and twisted of me, but I get a real kick out of how vicious Edward's thoughts are toward Mike Newton. It makes me chuckle darkly when ever he thinks about murdering Mike. Sick, I know, but at least I'm being honest.
I also love the vicious thoughts of that vile Mike Newton... :lol:

Being a latecomer to Twilight, I read Midnight Sun before Twilight (I saw the movie first though). So that really helped when I read Twilight to understand Edward better than those who haven't read Midnight Sun. It was unnerving to read about the moral battle he was constantly fighting with himself. I can only imagine how difficult it was for him to decide between trying to stay away vs. keeping her safe vs. staying in her life... I think reading Midnight Sun first also determined my strong support for him. I'm dying to read the rest of the book, especially the chapters Confessions and Mind Over Matter, from his perspective! I really hope Stephenie Meyer finishes it!
"Do I dazzle you?" -Edward Cullen
"Frequently" -Me

Mom40
Settled in Forks

Post by Mom40 »

I absolutely loved Midnight Sun. It was soooo cool being inside Edward's head. So much that is missing in Twilight is here! I really hope she decides to finish it as I really really really want to read the Meadow chapter from Edward's perspective!