Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Like I said Diane, I get where you're coming from and that's totally fair for you to make that personal decision. But it's also completely fair for others to use it, right? It's all a personal choice anyway!

I have a curiousity question for you though. Do you therefore think it unfair to use such extras as Being Jacob Black, or the other extras and outtakes SM has written, or the personal correspondence?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Thanks, SM only posted a chapter or 2 so I can't say that we can even get in deep of Edward's character or what direction she is wanting to take Edward. So we all could be really surprised and what you think she is saying in her post might just be a build up to getting deeper into Edward and I love Edward and want to read it really bad. I can use it to state my opinion but you really don't know where SM is going, is she going to talk about Edward before he was a vampire? Is she going to go into when he went out and killed people? There is just too many unanswered questions to rely on just that part that she posted to really get the full Edward. I hope and pray she does finish it. I don't care what direction she goes in I know it will be enlightening and good. So I hope you see that refering to something that has a long way to go before completion doesn't really give you the whole picture. That would be like stopping Twilight right after Edward saved Bella from the van, you just wouldn't know what was going to happen next or even know what Edward was that early. So if I do question your post it will be because of what is published and the movies even the movies take liberty with the characters too. But do what you want to I and I will question and then know where you and everyone is coming from, if I find it confusing in the Twilight Saga. :D

Well I guess that depends is this a Twilight forum like I thought, then I would say no just the Twilight Saga Books, I have not read those extra's and go by the books so I am not sure, I would need to look at them to see if they are strictly related to the Twilight books and not adding more to it like MS is to Edwards character because the Twilight books are through Bella's eyes and so I would think my answer would be the same. good question though. I really just want to stick to the books so if I added other things in then I would have to add everything to be fairminded. And I can't do that. If SM finished MS that will be an Edward book, if she writes a book on Jacob that would be a Jacob book and those are not Twilights those are branches off from the original.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Well, she wrote Being Jacob Black (the Twilight story from Jacob's perspective through New Moon) with the express intention of people reading it along with what she wrote to get a better understanding of Jacob, since lots of people hated him for silly and superficial reasons without really understanding where he was coming from. She wrote a Rosalie extra so people could understand Rosalie's intentions when she made the fateful phone call in New Moon.

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Is it just like explaining the character deeper than she did ? Because if it's just that like a paragraph or so yes then I would agree and you can tell me where to find it and I will read it. MS is different it is a book and not an explaintion about Edward in Twilight, I think it will be a lot more. and if she writes one on Jacob that woud be also
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Well, like I said, both are from the respective characters' POV. Jacob's basically covers the first two books, albeit briefly for Twilight, since there's not much to say. It's really more about New Moon. I haven't read Rosalie's but I'm pretty sure it's the same way.

If that's not permissable, then I question why you choose to not understand the characters and series as best as you can?

moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

My take on it at least, is that if SM wrote it and made it public, it's fair game, and provides insight into how she conceived the characters, whether it's MS or Being Jacob Black, or a snippet of Rosalie's perspective, or simply SM's musings on the characters. Maybe MS, as we currently have it, doesn't allow us to see every single aspect of Edward's existence from start to finish, but it certainly gives us insight into how his brain works at the beginning of Twilight and into what he was thinking when he first met Bella. So when questions like "when did Edward first know he couldn't live without Bella" come into play, I consider MS to be a fantastic resource. I don't really see why one should have to stick to "the four books" alone. SM is the one who knows and understands her creation the best, so why forgo the ability to see what else she has to say about it?

(I think you and I are on the same page, HOFJ.)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

I just say this is where I am coming from that I don't use things that are not is that if SM wrote it and made it public, she put it on her website because she felt she had too. If that is still up on her site, she was quite upset with the whole thing and wasn't going to finish it but her fans wanted to see it and she posted on her site what she had started. You guys can do what you want, but when I ask you what argument you should respect the fact that I am not going be unreleased books for my post. I could but I chose not too. And yes it does give you a good insight of Edward and I could use it in a lot of my post, but I have chosen not too. So if I ask something about your post, don't think I am stupid or anything because I am relying on the
Twilight Saga and so I am just making it clear. I have read MS know about Edward in MS, but I chose not to use that im mu post. I am not telling anyone to do it my way at all.
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Totally understand, at least in the case of MS. Although SM did post that herself, it's a little more of a grey area since the only reason she posted it was because someone else leaked it. No one will be angry if you don't reference it, and no one will be angry if you ask for an explanation to an MS reference either.

But the extras that HOFJ was referring to, like certain snippets from Jacob's and Rosalie's perspective, or other personal musings that SM posted, are things that SM posted of her own free will. She wanted people to read them, and she wanted people to understand the characters better. So refusing to take those into account is just silly.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

For me, I plan to use all of SM's writtings on the forums here in the Lex. Whether it's an Out take on her website or the correspondence on the lex...my favorite are the extend prom scene on SM web-site and the trip home with Edward, Alice and Bella stop over in Vegas on the Correspondence here on the lex...I have no bounds to my learning and pursuits of SM works...

just my 2 cents worth...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

opulent wrote:
diane771 wrote:I believe that it was before that, I think it was when he really did know he could not leave her when he thought that James was going to kill her. Thats when everything fell into place, he loved her before that, but when danger like the van happened and Port Angeles he was getting closer and closer to figuring out what love was all about and then James came into the picture and he knew that he would never be the same if Bella was not in this world.

I don't know if that was directed at me or not, Diane, but this did not occur before the Cullens' argument. It occurred waaay after it. If you weren't talking to me then just ignore this. . .

And moon sidhe, wouldn't you say that Edward felt that he couldn't leave Bella when he saw Alice's visions for the future, and he realized that it would cause him physical pain to leave?
I believe the following happened in this order in SM,

The Biology class happened
Edward went to Carliste then to the Denali Clan
Returned home
Climb into Bella's room via window and decided to oil it to stop it squeeking
Had the dining room table discussion
Alice Vision
Rosalie figuring out he loved her
Broken Plasma TV
Edward return to the school...Bella swoons more...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."