The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Post by debussygirl »

For some puzzling reason, when I was driving home from work today it hit me: why is it called the Hunger Games? Why not the Thirst Games or the Pandem Games or the District Games? I can't find any logical sense behind the name, other than maybe it sounds better.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

debussygirl wrote:For some puzzling reason, when I was driving home from work today it hit me: why is it called the Hunger Games? Why not the Thirst Games or the Pandem Games or the District Games? I can't find any logical sense behind the name, other than maybe it sounds better.
I see what you mean. My only idea is that maybe she isn't being completely literal about Hunger being food hunger. She could use it as the general hunger for food, but it could also be seen as encompasing hunger for peace, survival, power, glory, or having the means to live (etc.). Like Katniss desires to survive and help her family while other districts want the glory of wining. Thats the only idea I could come up with. If anybody ever has the chance to write her, ask her, or submit a question - that should be the question - What is the full meaning of the title "The Hunger Games"
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

There's also the gifts of food and luxuries to the winning District, too, and the poor Districts almost never win, and they're starving anyways. They're always hungry- foodwise and to win.
danobanano
Putting the Fun in Fun Fur

Post by danobanano »

I believe it's the Hunger Games because ultimately those who can survive being hungry the longest eventually win. Remember what Katniss said about the Career Tributes? They don't know how to survive being hungry the way she could. And once their food was gone they lost all their strategic strength.
It's all about expectations baby
Help Save Forks High School
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Okay - this goes way back...

I am reading Hunger Games for the second time. I was all team Gale, the first time around, but I think I am changing my allegiance. I mean Peeta loves Katniss sooooooo much! I didn't notice it as much the first time and this time, I clearly see how much he loves her. I can't wait for the second book. I pre-ordered them yesterday.

Why it is called the Hunger Games... I'd say it's a catchy title. It could have been called the Survival Games... but that sounds too much like "Survivor" the TV show and this is far more brutal. It could have been called The Killing Games, but that sounds far more brutal than a YA book should be. I might not pick it up if I was 14. And, The Thurst Games, just sounds like they need a slurpee or something.

I bet no one will actually catch fire in the next book. But there is the hole...
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

I think I might like Alex Pettyfer as Peeta. He's so cute! And that's a very hot British accent, he'll just have to get rid of it for Peeta. (I mean, its not his fault every single line of his in Alex Rider sucked epically. He can act.)

Three cheers for the hole!
I agree about no one actually catching fire- After watching Knowing, I never want to see anyone but Red Vs Blue catching on fire. Ever.
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

Once you all get to read Catching Fire, you'll get the title. It's kinds like we talked about before, but I think that's all I'll say.
On another subject, I think the title is a mixture of all your answers. I just think it's a general idea. Ally_Cat is getting it perfectly though. I'm impressed with your answer!

But. . .Jenna, you drive? LOL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I really don't like advanced reading copies of books. I don't think they should exist. I hate it because I can read through a lot of lines of what people are not saying. It's painful for me. *sigh* It happens with TV shows also...

I know everything from "and I am not going to say a word"
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

^^I agree with that. My ability to guess plots has essentially ruined most movies for me. People talking about it is practically the same thing. So SHUSH or I'll pull out the Grammar Stick of Doom!
Besides, we only have a few weeks till it comes out. Which reminds me, I'm going to go pre-order it now.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

pre-order from Barnes and Noble (check online for a 10% discount) it was less expensive than Amazon. Without being a member.

oh, then again I ordered both the CD and Book