A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by darkrider »

amazingact21 wrote: 3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
I wasn't too surprised. I figured, as much as he adores Bella, he still needs some time to do a fe of his own things. Night is the time the Cullens can probably catch up and relax with each other. And if it wasn't that, then I just assummed he was hunting.

I agree! I thought he was just hunting.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
tallperson
Settled in Forks

Post by tallperson »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
i thought it was a bit wierd that she was copying bella but then it did surprise me because she really thought it was her grandmother and her subconcious really dragged what she was most scared of into her dream. i dont think anyone can see that coming - but i may be wrong.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
i haven't really thought about it. i dont think the dream has another meaning as that is the thing she is most scared of and her subconcious picked up on that. but when i really think of it i think it has something to do with the sun - but i cant pinpoint what it is.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
yes, because from twilight he would go when she woke up, and then in that first chapter she would see him for the first time at school. i was also surprised because when she dreamt of him he was usually with her, in twilight the first time she had the dreams (if im not mistaken) that was the first night he went into her room.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
yes and no, yes because he got used to the smell of her blood and no because edward proberbly warned him and he wouldnt want anything to happen to bella on accident and be the cause of edwards death (because bella died). i'd say if i had to give one answer yes.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
i was like 'NO!! you clumsy thing!!' but then i felt sorry for bella because in that moment she really felt human and she felt like a burden to the cullens for being so breakable, you could feel how much tension that put on bella and edward's relationship - well i could!!

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
again yes and no, yes because at the time that was the worst thing we thought edward would do - we never imagined that he would go to that extremes just because she was human. no because you could tell that edward was thinking something 'big' when he wasnt himself and alice was away from school. but i still didnt think that edward would go to those extremes.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
no, because if he did he knew bella wouldnt use it, he knows her well enough to not go against her word. but at the same time i was hoping he did buy her a new one.

8) Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
no, because bella doesnt like attention, on her first day she wanted to be invisible and just be a shadow, she didnt want unnecissary attention. but i couldnt understand why she didnt make anything of it with her family and her vampire family (the cullens) because she must of known that those are the people she cant avoid.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
i think that maybe he knew that bella was right, and yet at the same time he knew that if alice did try anything he would be able to intervine and alice would have been able to see that edward would do something drastic if she did.
'Jasper? What do vampires do for bachelor parties? You're not taking him to a strip club, are you?'
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? as Edward approached and Gran was mimicking Bella..I didn't at first, but it did make since she had worried about this!

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? Mostly that she was afraid to grow old..that he wouldn't want her anymore...maybe a bit of wanting someone to know...

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? really i didn't think about it...maybe he was helping with the party

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I think Jasper knows his limits and since he didn't HAVE to protect Bella - he felt best to stay away

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? I wasn't expecting the reaction at all! It did make Jaspers reluctance more noticable though

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I thought they would just be more careful, I had NO clue he would leave!! I was heartbroken.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? No, I thought to soon, plus she really didn't want one!

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting? Yes, understandably though!

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I loved it, I love that he loves her so much he wants to keep her normal!! I feel her pain and know what she thinks HE thinks behind it...but I truly was touched by his disapproval!
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

I knew that "Gran" was actualy Bella the same time she knew it was really her. I was definitely surprised that she was looking in a mirror. I thought she really was dreaming about her grandmother.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?

No, I never thought that the dream foretold anything other than her fear. I've always just assumed that Bella would be turned into a vampire, whether Edward wanted her to or not. She is too determined to stay with him forever not to find a way.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?

No, I wasn't surprised. I hadn't even thought of Edward; I was still puzzling over the dream and the fact that it was her birthday. Now that you've brought it to my attention, though, yes. I'm very surprised that Edward wasn't there when she woke up.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?

I never thought that Jasper and Bella would be closer after what happened in Phoenix. I thought it would go back to the way it was, with Jasper being very careful around her since she's human. The Cullens have always said Jasper had a harder time with resisting human blood than the rest of them, so I assumed he wouldn't want to risk Bella more than he absolutely had to. After all, she smells very good to vampires, better than most humans. Especially to Edward.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?

I sort of panicked for Bella. I thought someone would have lost control, but that the Cullens would have gotten whoever it was out of there before it escalated to what it had. I was surprised.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?

I thought Edward would blame himself for Jasper's attack. That's just Edward. I thought she'd be allowed back to the Cullen's house, but everybody would be a lot more careful and there would be more precautions. I definitely thought Edward would beat himself up for it for a while.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?

No, definitely not. I don't think Edward would buy something for Bella that he knew she didn't want.

8) Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

Yes, definitely! It's only a year older than Edward, and to him that doesn't make much of a difference. Why should a year or so matter, really? It's not that much.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?

I thought that Bella was probably right, that Alice probably would give Bella what she wanted. After all, it's only a matter of time.

Edward's reaction was definitely reasonable. He doesn't want her a vampire, and his reasons are understandable. I take Edward's side here.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
When she kept mentioning that "Gran" kept having the same look on her face as Bella.

No, not really. I think it was just Bella's fear of growing old. She doesn't want to if Edward isn't.

You know, I never paid it that much attention! lol...

I thought they would have been closer after the trip to Phoenix. I thought it was weird.

"Oh, shoot!" I thought she was going to get bitten for a minute... lmao

Yup

Yeah, I did actually.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
A little...

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
He was mad.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

When she mirrored bella's movements. Mmm, wasn't really thinking about it.

Yes, it's such an intense for her that it even follows her in her dreams.

Yes, he's spent so much time with her lately. Who knows why edward behaves the way he does.

Maybe he felt the tension in the air. Yes i quite hopes they would become closer.

Ohh, so typical bella. Only bella could turn a paper cut into such a disaster. *tisk, tisk*

Yes.

Well he usually plans ahead edward, so yes i expected him to have got her one.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Yes, bella always over reacts its like second nature to her.

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I think this is the longest chapter discussion! :)

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? On page 5, when Gran held her arm out in the exact position as Bella did.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? I had always known that B&E belonged together; I truly hoped that it wouldn't be as a human/vampire couple. I hoped that this dream wasn't foreshadowing THAT; that Bella would stay human.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? Hmm, I didn't really catch any meaning of that until now. Maybe she asked him not to spend the night because it was the birthday that would make her older than Edward, and she'd be feeling depressed about that.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I didn't expect them to be much closer than they were in Twilight.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? I was freaking! It was tooooooo early in the book for something dramatic like this to happen, and I got a bad feeling about coming days.... :(

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I didn't think anything at the time; I was just reading fast to figure out what was going on with the rest of the Cullens.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? Ooo, I really hoped not. Charlie had bought Bella that truck- I didn't think Edward would be so callous as to buy her a new one since he was ONLY her boyfriend; I think that would have made Charlie feel bad.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting? Honestly, yes. I've never met anyone who didn't want recognition on his/her b-day. But, Bella's situation is different- she didn't want reminders of the day that she was officially older than Edward.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? Hehehe, I thought that was sly of her to say so! Ugh- I was frustrated at Edward... here AGAIN, is where the first-person narrative annoys me a BIT: surely Edward has thought about what it would be like to have Bella as one of his kind, how wonderful it would be to be with her like the rest, as a couple??? But, as SMeyer says, Edward over-reacts a lot.
EDWARD_is_love
Settled in Forks

Post by EDWARD_is_love »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming.
okay, i really didn't notice, until they said it in the book. i was just like.. okay.. and kept reading.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?]Uhm. no, i guess not. except the fact that it seemed like edward was going to let bella get all old before he changed her... if he changed her.

Actually, i didn't think much of it. i was like. Hmm.. oh well. and kept reading :D

actually. i did, i mean they spent so much time in that room together. i thought he shouldn't have been avoiding her like that but, whatever =P

at first i didn't think of anything, because it is really easy to forget that she was in a house full of vampires. and then, when it clicked, i was like AAAH!

yea, i thought that she just wasn't going to be able to be around them while she's so... "accident prone".

no, because shes always telling him not to get her gifts, so i didnt think that he would ignore her that way and buy her one.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
yes, i thought she was overreacting, its just a party. just because shes one year older than the age that edward is.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?'
i couldn't believe she would use that against him like that! and the way it hurt him. hes just trying to look out for her. i take Edward's side :D
Image <3
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I figured it out once Edward showed up.

I think it foreshadows Edward trying to kill himself...her grandmother in heaven...

I was surprised. I didn't really know...

I think it might have had to do with Edward. He may have given special instructions for everyone to be extra careful around Bella after the incident in Phoenix. I did expect them to be closer though.

I was like, "Shoot!" LOL. I thought it was pretty intense.

I didn't really think about his repercussions. I sort of felt sorry for Jasper. It's not like he wanted to hurt her.

I thought he was trying to buy her, but she wouldn't budge.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I totally thought she was over-reacting, but then-again that's just Bella. I thought she could've been a little more appreciative though. In her defense-- If I ever found an Edward and was in her situation, maybe I'd be a little pissed about turning 18 too.

Typical Edward.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

-- I figured out that Bella was the "Gran", when she was mirroring the movements. I wasn't surprised at all, but it was just a bit creepy.

-- I think the dream was just Bella's fear of growing old w/o Edward aging with her.

-- I think maybe he was hunting, or maybe just doing a few things around the Cullen House. He could have been trying to get Alice to focus on what the future holds for Bella, so he could know more.

-- I think Jasper may have befriended her, but still wants to be cautious because he thinks he is still going to be unable to control himself since he was so used to his old life.

-- I was a little shocked that, that bit of blood can make a someone go haywire. But, like I said above - he was probably cautious, but being on a routine & then going cold-turkey is kind of hard, even for a few years. Especially, for a vampire. :p

-- I knew Edward would see what happened as a big threat because he already said in the beginning that they were dangerous & that only confirmed how dangerous they could be.

-- I think he likes to do things ahead of time, be prepared, that sort of thing...so yes, I figured he had already got one for her & just wanted to ask before giving.

Cool. What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
-- Not really, but I do think that she should have one as well. I'm a bit like her, I wouldn't have wanted a big blown-out party like Alice was planning. I would have wanted a few close friends, cake, and presents. That's fine with me. :)

-- I think Edward was hurt by it and angry. He was probably thinking, "Would Bella really do this to me? or Would Alice really do it for her?" I really just think it's a false-threat from Bella, she wants Edward to turn her more than anything.