Edward Cullen #5

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
***No question here. Evil exist because good men lack the courage to wipe it out.


Hmmm, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. For one, I'm not much of a believer in the existence of pure good or pure evil. I think there are good people who are capable of evil things and vice versa and every shade in between. But beyond that, I really don't think that the only reason evil acts are committed is because good people allow it to happen. Evil acts will happen no matter what. They just will. Bottom line. Period. You can't "wipe it out." And frequently I consider the "wiping out" to be just as evil as whatever deed supposedly justified the wiping out in the first place. But that's my two cents, and I understand that a lot of people believe differently.

The Dark Knight wrote:*** Do you think there are deeper drives than that?

Deeper like what? Those were the main ones I could think of.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:52 am

moon sidhe wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
***No question here. Evil exist because good men lack the courage to wipe it out.


Hmmm, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. For one, I'm not much of a believer in the existence of pure good or pure evil. I think there are good people who are capable of evil things and vice versa and every shade in between. But beyond that, I really don't think that the only reason evil acts are committed is because good people allow it to happen. Evil acts will happen no matter what. They just will. Bottom line. Period. You can't "wipe it out." And frequently I consider the "wiping out" to be just as evil as whatever deed supposedly justified the wiping out in the first place. But that's my two cents, and I understand that a lot of people believe differently.

The Dark Knight wrote:*** Do you think there are deeper drives than that?

Deeper like what? Those were the main ones I could think of.


Deeper than being alone or jsut running out of steam to kill... How about the need to be a person again? Maybe his spirit needed to be repunished or forgiven? Maybe the low road was the wrong path for him so he decided to take teh Higher road to inlightenment...I could go on...

Well, to use a quote from the movie Tome Stone, "Why put off killen a guy to day that your just going to have to kill tomorrow." From Air Force One, "Peace is not the Absence of War but the presence of Justice."

How about this vamp quotes...Interview with a Vampire:

Lestat - Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves.

Evildoers are easier, and they taste better.

Have you heard enough? I've had to listen to that for centuries.
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:01 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Deeper than being alone or jsut running out of steam to kill... How about the need to be a person again? Maybe his spirit needed to be repunished or forgiven? Maybe the low road was the wrong path for him so he decided to take teh Higher road to inlightenment...I could go on...


Hmm, I think those are all probable reasons. I like the idea that he felt the need to be forgiven. That's interesting. And I'm quite sure that a big part of it was that he decided he could no longer take "the low road."

The Dark Knight wrote:Well, to use a quote from the movie Tome Stone, "Why put off killen a guy to day that your just going to have to kill tomorrow." From Air Force One, "Peace is not the Absence of War but the presence of Justice."

How about this vamp quotes...Interview with a Vampire:

Lestat - Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves.

Evildoers are easier, and they taste better.

Have you heard enough? I've had to listen to that for centuries.


Those are all great quotes. But definitely doesn't change my POV on the matter. ;)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:05 am

moon sidhe wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Deeper than being alone or jsut running out of steam to kill... How about the need to be a person again? Maybe his spirit needed to be repunished or forgiven? Maybe the low road was the wrong path for him so he decided to take teh Higher road to inlightenment...I could go on...


Hmm, I think those are all probable reasons. I like the idea that he felt the need to be forgiven. That's interesting. And I'm quite sure that a big part of it was that he decided he could no longer take "the low road."

The Dark Knight wrote:Well, to use a quote from the movie Tome Stone, "Why put off killen a guy to day that your just going to have to kill tomorrow." From Air Force One, "Peace is not the Absence of War but the presence of Justice."

How about this vamp quotes...Interview with a Vampire:

Lestat - Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves.

Evildoers are easier, and they taste better.

Have you heard enough? I've had to listen to that for centuries.


Those are all great quotes. But definitely doesn't change my POV on the matter. ;)



What do you like about the High road and forgivness?

Here's another set of quotes: Shawshank Redemption

I have to remind myself that some birds weren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just to bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knew it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But your world is just that much colder and emptier that they're gone. I don't know... maybe I just miss my friend

Either get busy living, or get busy dying.
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:06 am

Actually, evil exists because good men, in the essence of being good men, will not stoop to the same level as evil.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 am

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Actually, evil exists because good men, in the essence of being good men, will not stoop to the same level as evil.


You do not have to stoop to stop them, just be there to detour them or despence Justice. Old school style preferrably, edward understood that...
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 am

Here's a quote that may pertain to the Discussion of Edward wanting forgiveness and walking the high road...

This comes from teh mini series Taken, Dakota Fanning spke these words;

"What make a man who he is? Is it the worst things he has ever done or the best things he wants to be. When you find yourself in the middle of your life and you are nowhere near where you where going. How do you find a way from the person you have become to the one you could have been."

Can you see this in Edward? Why?
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:34 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Actually, evil exists because good men, in the essence of being good men, will not stoop to the same level as evil.


You do not have to stoop to stop them, just be there to detour them or despence Justice. Old school style preferrably, edward understood that...


I refuse to be thwarted by your continual subject changes!

So it makes you more "good" to kill the problem rather than lock it up, or better yet, fix them?? That seems to be a very archaic way of looking at it.

It's the age old death penalty/no death penalty or punishment/rehabilitation debate.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:34 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Here's a quote that may pertain to the Discussion of Edward wanting forgiveness and walking the high road...

This comes from teh mini series Taken, Dakota Fanning spke these words;

"What make a man who he is? Is it the worst things he has ever done or the best things he wants to be. When you find yourself in the middle of your life and you are nowhere near where you where going. How do you find a way from the person you have become to the one you could have been."

Can you see this in Edward? Why?


Wow. That is a really excellent quote. And I think it could definitely be applied to Edward. Sounds like exactly what he's struggling through. He sees the person (err.. vampire) he's become as a monster. And in a way, he fulfills his vision of himself when he chooses to run away and kill others. Seems like he figures, "well, if I'm a monster anyway, I may as well act like one." And then something in him snaps, and he decides he can't do it anymore. It'd be fascinating to know if there were a particular incident that made him snap. I also really think Bella was instrumental in making him the person he could have been. Or in other words, bringing him back to his humanity that he thought he had lost.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 am

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Actually, evil exists because good men, in the essence of being good men, will not stoop to the same level as evil.


You do not have to stoop to stop them, just be there to detour them or despence Justice. Old school style preferrably, edward understood that...


I refuse to be thwarted by your continual subject changes!

So it makes you more "good" to kill the problem rather than lock it up, or better yet, fix them?? That seems to be a very archaic way of looking at it.

It's the age old death penalty/no death penalty or punishment/rehabilitation debate.


No debate here, I'm anachronism...Yes, rehabilitation only works if the subject has the want to and go do attitude to be on the right path...That'w why we have an 80% return to jail rate...Those that break of codes of society are no worthy to live among the society any longer... Our weakness is that we care and what to see good where evil lives and thus we can not bring ourselves to do wht needs to be done. That is why we suffer so. If Justice was swift and final there would be far fewer willing to do evils bidding...
Image

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron