Chapter 23: Memories

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
19nomad90
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Chapter 23: Memories

Post by 19nomad90 »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturri?
I'd run away for a while, then come back. I think running away is better than feigning death, because at least Charlie will know she's somewhere and she's happy. Bella's one of the last things Charlie has left in the world, I couldn't imagine his pain if she pretended to die.

2. Jealousy is a very real emotion and a difficult one to assuage. Bella is fighting the jealousy she feels towards Jacob over Renesmee. What were your feelings and thoughts when Renesmee and Bella spent the afternoon together? What was your reaction over Renesmee’s feelings towards Jacob? If you were Bella, how would you handle these feelings of irritation and jealous knowing now how both of them feel towards each other and your own relationship and feelings towards Jacob?
I'd be furious at Jacob. But at the same, what can she do? He's imprinted. It's not his fault. And separating them would cause both Jacob and Renesmee pain, the last thing Bella would want. However, I also think Bella should look beyond her fury and see that when she got her happily ever after, she hurt Jacob deeply. Now through her daughter she has given Jake something even better than her, a person to love, not to be in love with, that can love him back some day, the way he deserves. I think she should overcome her jealousy and irritation and realise that her best friend has finally found happiness in her daughter, which is something she wanted all along, just not in this way.

3. What was your reaction to the mention of the Irish Coven? What do you think they are like? Did you have any thoughts when they were brought up? Did you feel a sense of foreshadowing at their mention?
I didn't think much of it. I was busy focusing on the main story lol!

4. The rupture between the packs has been resolved since Jacob’s imprinting on Renesmee. Why does Leah continue to stay with the Cullens if she appears to be so unhappy there? If you were Leah, would you leave?
Leah only has two choices in pack. Sam or Jake. Pain or discomfort. She doesn't really like the Cullens, but she doesn't have to be around them ALL the time. She runs the perimeters far away from the house and only has to make contact when protecting Jake. Being with Sam exposes her to him every time she's in wolf form. In a way she never got over how much Sam hurt her, and it's near impossible to forget someone when you're with them every single day. Imagine having to relive one of the worst moments of your life all the time. Being around vampires is definitely the lesser of two evils

5. It seems that wolves have a natural repulsion to vampires and vice versa (it is difficult to be around something that smells horrendously foul to you). However, Seth is quite content to be not only around the Cullens, but be touched by them. If you were Seth, how would you answer the question of how are you able to do that? Is he special in some way that the smell and touch of vampires is not instinctively repulsive?
Like everyone else said, Seth has a pure mind. It's amazing what you can do when your mind is unclouded by unjust prejudices.

Favourite werewolf? Sorry Jake, I'm TEAM SETH all the way!!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturri?
not death, charlie would probably get pretty mad at the cullens. but, running away would be hard too. but, its true they have to do something or the Volturi would probably step in.... :?

2. Jealousy is a very real emotion and a difficult one to assuage. Bella is fighting the jealousy she feels towards Jacob over Renesmee. What were your feelings and thoughts when Renesmee and Bella spent the afternoon together? What was your reaction over Renesmee’s feelings towards Jacob? If you were Bella, how would you handle these feelings of irritation and jealous knowing now how both of them feel towards each other and your own relationship and feelings towards Jacob?
i wouldnt be mad or jelous of jacob, i dont think. i'd be glad he finally found some one.....even if she is a baby. :roll: but i thought it sweet that bella and rennesme spent the afternoon together!

3. What was your reaction to the mention of the Irish Coven? What do you think they are like? Did you have any thoughts when they were brought up? Did you feel a sense of foreshadowing at their mention?
yes, i imedeatly went "foreshadow!!! right there!!" i thought they were probably not vegatarians and it would be cool to learn more about them.

4. The rupture between the packs has been resolved since Jacob’s imprinting on Renesmee. Why does Leah continue to stay with the Cullens if she appears to be so unhappy there? If you were Leah, would you leave?
probably because jacob and seth are there so much and she's bonded with them after all they've been though. she probably doesnt feel as comfortable wiht the rest of the pack yet.

5. It seems that wolves have a natural repulsion to vampires and vice versa (it is difficult to be around something that smells horrendously foul to you). However, Seth is quite content to be not only around the Cullens, but be touched by them. If you were Seth, how would you answer the question of how are you able to do that? Is he special in some way that the smell and touch of vampires is not instinctively repulsive?
trust, love, and being a loveable kid!! thats all it takes!! ;)
Betting on Alice.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Possibly just going away for awhile, they have already kinda screwed themselves by saying she was sick and went to Georgia, because now Charlie is very very suspicious. Maybe just having her talk to Charlie, even with the voice change and tell him you left. Telling him she died would not be best, because after her eyes change she can probably see him.

It's hard. She just had a baby and didn't get to spend the first couple days with her and now Jacob is stepping in for her mommy moments and saying what she is suppose to be saying. That would be such a hard thing to handle, she's doing better then most people would. I think Bella getting to spend the afternoon with her was great, and Renesmee continuously asking for Bella would make her feel so much better in this situation.

No, of course not.. haha I wasn't good at guessing things in saga so I didn't try to think too much into it. I guess I didn't realize how many friends they might have had.

If I was Leah, I would most definitely not. Ecspecially if my brother was going to be spending so much time there with a new vampire around. She is probably incredibly worried about him,.. and possibly Jacob, because that is her Alpha and he is basically not completely with it since he imprinted.

No I don't think he has some special ability, he's just a good person. Just because someone smells bad to you doesn't mean you have to plug your nose and run away.. Jacob said previously that you kinda got used to the smell, not that it went away but that it was more tolerable. And Edward remarked on how kind Seth was and an all around great person. I think one of the biggest reasons Seth is so tolerable was that he was not a werewolf very long before he ended up fighting with Edward that one time and he formed a serious bond with him.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I don't know... I think that feigning death might have been a good option, honestly.

I liked that they spent the afternoon together. I didn't mind Renesmee's feelings toward Jacob, honestly, and if I were Bella, I wouldn't have been jealous. The kind of love that Jacob has for Renesmee isn't the same as the love she does, and there's no reason they can't both love her.

I was completely indifferent toward them.

She stays because Seth is there, and because she doesn't want to go back to Sam. I don't know what I would do if I were Leah -- it would have been hard to leave Seth, but perhaps it might have been good for her to go in her own direction altogether.

I never thought of that. I always thought that Seth just really liked the Cullens. But yeah, maybe he does have some sort of power... That wouldn't surprise me.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturi?
I think that Bella's plan to let him see her and make his own assumptions is okay. There's no way Charlie's going to ever think that vampires actually exist. He's more likely to think that Carlisle's used some experimental drug on everyone, or something like that.

I was glad that they got to spend some quality time together. I didn't particularly want Renesmee to be too partial to Jake just yet (it would be nice if he grew up a bit first). If it was me, I'd probably be satisfied to be petulant for a while!

I didn't think the mention of them was significant. I probably should have, as there's always a reason for mentioning these things, but there was too much going on for me to spare it much thought.

She's getting away from Sam, that's why. I'm sure I'd be the same.

I think that, since he equates them as friends, his mind has made their scents less repulsive to him, and probably vice versa, with some of them, at least.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

1. Bella is agonizing over the issue of Charlie. Put yourself in Bella’s shoes, what would be the best course of action for all involved? Feigning death? Running away for bit? Or something else? Remember, the fear is how do you hide the fact that Charlie suspects and is involved with the family from the Volturi?
I would've feigned death.

I just felt annoyed about Jake being so possessive. On the other hand, Renesmee is just as possessive. If I were Bella, for myself, I would be mad at Jake and wanting him to leave, to have my daughter for my own. But, realizing how Renesmee feels, I would want to keep her happy, and Jake makes her happy.

I didn't think anything about it.

I wouldn't leave either, she doesn't want to leave her brother.

I think he loves them deeply and that is why he can take it.