Chapter 28: The Future

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 28: The Future

Post by Alphie »

Thanks go to Oleander for her help with this chapter!

1. Was Irina justified in her reaction to what she saw in the field? How do you think you would have reacted if you were in her shoes?

2. What do you think of Emmett’s suggestion that they contact their friends and acquaintances to stand with them?

3. What was your reaction when Edward told Bella that the Volturi was coming to destroy and not to reason?

4. What do you think about Alice’s sudden change in demeanor?

5. What was your reaction to the chapter ending with Bella saying: “It’s over. We’ve all been sentenced to die.”
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 28: The Future

Post by sazykid »

1. Was Irina justified in her reaction to what she saw in the field? How do you think you would have reacted if you were in her shoes?
I understand why she reacted the way she did. She thought Nessie was a child who had been transformed into a vampire, and Irina's mother had been killed for the very same thing. But, no, I don't think she was justified in her reaction.There was no way she could have known what Nessie really was so if she truly considered herself part of the Cullen's extended family she should have at least confronted them. If she still did not agree with their choices then she would have been justified in whatever her reaction would have been.

2. What do you think of Emmett’s suggestion that they contact their friends and acquaintances to stand with them?
I thought it was a good idea. All the others had to do was say no if they didn't want to be involved. Emmett was right to suggest that.

3. What was your reaction when Edward told Bella that the Volturi was coming to destroy and not to reason?
I can't say I was surprised. Since the very first time we met the Volturi in New Moon they reminded me of a mafia. People in the mafia deal with things now and ask questions later, much the same way the Volturi act. I never thought the book would end with anyone getting killed, but I was scared for what would happen nonetheless.

Her demeanor made me realize how severity of the situation. Alice isn't usually shocked by what she sees, and she was definitely shocked by the image of the Volturi coming. I knew it wouldn't be good the moment she dropped the vase.

5. What was your reaction to the chapter ending with Bella saying: “It’s over. We’ve all been sentenced to die.”
Looking back I think Bella was a little overly dramatic here lol. But, at the time I felt sorry for all of them. I sort of wanted to reach through the book and give them all a hug. Bella had just gotten everything she ever wanted and she was happy. Then the whole world was ripped out from under her because Irina decided to tattle on them. It didn't seem fair that she and Edward only got to be happy for such a short period of time.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

No, she was suposta be their friend, she assumed they made an immortal child so she ran to the Volturi, she felt she was right in doing so. In her shoes I would hope I'd give my friends a chance first to find out what was goin on an if Nessie did turn out to be one of the Immortal children everyone feared so maybe give the Cullen a far warning , not that I'd rat them out but someone would, then agian i didnt watch my mother being ripped apart an burned for havein one eather, so in that case one would prolly do just what Irina did.

I thought it was a verry good idea, but at same time was like would any of them give them a chance once they see Nessie would they run or try to kill her themselves. Also wondered if they did give them a chance would they still stay and stand with them in frount of the Volturi.

my heart droped to my stomic... think i said to myself "Well of Course stupid jelouse Volturi"

At that time I was surpized she left them I realy beleaved she left to save Jasper and herself from Volturi rule, because they still wanted her for her gift an Jasper was skilled in vampire army ways. I wasn't worried about Marcous's skill I felt they had a stonger bond even tho none of the Cullen's created them that i guess is why i was surpised when they thought that maybe be the reason they left.

Think i may have had a tear runnin down my face, cause at that time you think Alice's selfpreservation had kicked in an she knew / saw something more that she didnt even let Edward see. I was glad she left them the note that helped them a bit, sad to think they would or even could just ditch them an not stand with them.
kerry211
Settled in Forks

Post by kerry211 »

I think Irina was so shocked by what she saw she didn't stop to question what Renesmee was. Her memory of her mother's execution at the hands of the Volturi because of an immortal child is as strong as if it had just happened. That she didn't speak to her own family or challenge the Cullens was unforgivable. The Denali family consider themselves as the Cullens extended family and Irina must have known what going to Italy would mean. Her anger and grief about Laurent must have blinded her to reason.

Very sensible and just like Emmetts practical nature

Very upset but not surprised at all. As far as Aro and the Volturi were concerned, this wasn't a trial, it was a sentence to be carried out. He had seen al the evidence in Irina's mind and it was just the excuse they needed to exterminate the Cullens They do like their laws. Aro, of course, had an ulterior motive

Alice is very smart and doesn't always tell everything she sees. I was disappointed in her change of demeanor and her and Jaspers defection but thought there had to be more to it. Alice loves her family and would do anything to protect them. She lied to Jasper about the danger she was in when she went to Italy with Bella to save Edward

Poor Bella, just when she had the perfect happy ending and her future in front of her, here comes the Volturi to take it away. It was her worst nightmare coming to pass. No wonder she was in the depths of despair
ImageImage[/img]
Twilight is my obsession..my horses, my other passion!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i would have reacted the same way, taking in consideration that she probably didnt even want to reason with them after the laurant incident. i dont think she was justified though.

a good idea, but i didnt think it would work. thanks anyway, emmett ;)

they.dont.stand.a.chance.......HOW COULD STEPHENIE DO THIS TO US?? why....... :cry: i.felt.betrayed, man!!

no...no....no...NO!!! i know she didnt do it just to protect herself and jasper, she had a reason. and i trushed that.....BUT WHY COULD'NT SHE TELL THEM SHE WAS LEAVING?? well, i guess esme and bella would have never let her go. jasper wouldnt care as long as he was with her..... :cry: they broke my heart.........

same as question 3........WHY??!
Betting on Alice.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Was Irina justified in her reaction to what she saw in the field? How do you think you would have reacted if you were in her shoes? I can understand why she did it, I don't know if I'd say she was justified though. Running off to the Volturi seems really drastic to me. I would like to think I'd approach Bella about her thoughts/reaction to Renesmee to see if it's true Renesmee's an immortal child.

2. What do you think of Emmett’s suggestion that they contact their friends and acquaintances to stand with them? I think it's a good idea. That's probably what I would do ask any family & friends for help.

3. What was your reaction when Edward told Bella that the Volturi was coming to destroy and not to reason? Oh man stupid Volturi. It seems like they hate anyone who thinks any differently than they do.

4. What do you think about Alice’s sudden change in demeanor? I wasn't sure what was going on or what exactly she was doing.

5. What was your reaction to the chapter ending with Bella saying: “It’s over. We’ve all been sentenced to die.” I was scared and worried for them. I didn't want any of the Cullens to die.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

No, I don't think she was justified. I can understand why, but that does not make it right. The Denalis had been friends with the Cullens for decades, and she should have had respect for Carlisle and his family and go to them first to ask what was going on. If she was not so blinded with her grief and hatred for the pack, she would have seen the right thing to do. And she also knew that Laurent was about to kill Bella, and you should think that she would have a bit of understanding for what happened considering that the Denalis also have the veggie lifestyle.

A good idea. It was the only way they would have a chance against the Volturi. They needed witnesses to prove that Nessie was part human, and they needed someone to stand by them in a fight.

I was not surprised at all. The Volturi clearly didn't understand the lifestyle that the Cullens had chosen, and they were not interested in reviewing the facts in the matter. But I was also hopeful, because I knew the Cullens would never give up without a fight, and I had a good feeling that they could win.

It surprised me. But I knew that she would never abandon her family, so I clearly felt that she had a plan. And with the mindreading talents of Aro, she would not want anyone other than Bella to know anything because that could possibly put them all at risk. She wouldn't leave to save herself and Jasper.

I was worried for them. But I still had hope. I just felt that this could not be the way the saga would end :)
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Eh, If I was in her shoes, and I was still very upset about the wolves killing my partner and the Cullens, who are suppose to be like family, still friendly with them, I may feel the same way as them, want to hurt them in some way. But overall, no, she should have talked to the Cullens, maybe called them if it was too difficult to ask what was going on. And then, if it was an immortal child, as she feared, tell them that she was planning on going to the Volturi, atleast give them something.

Emmett for once had a good idea, kind of. haha. I was surprised with how irritated Bella was with him at first, it kinda made sense. Give the Volturi a reason to pause, And if all those vampires are there, why wouldn't they pause.

Kind of sank in more. The Volturi are there to set laws and not have people give their opinion. Which was kinda different, when Edward, Bella, and Alice were in Italy speaking to the Volturi, they talked quite a bit.

Weird for her. But I was getting used to not as much Alice since Book II of Breaking Dawn,.. she's been so different because of everything going on. I didn't read into it too much though.

Chills.. haha. It's such a huge thing, and they can't run from it.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think that she should have been more informed before reacting like that. She kind of acted on impulse.

I thought it was a good idea.

I agreed.

It made it seem a lot more serious...Alice doesn't usually react like that.

Honestly, I knew what the outcome was, so it didn't bother me.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think her reaction was justified given what she saw and what she thinks it means.

I think it's a surprisingly peaceful one considering his nature. He can't think that their presence alone will make them win.

It seemed consistent with their characters.

I didn't know what to make of it. I only knew that she was anxious that Edward didn't know something.

I thought it was a fair reaction, given what Alice had seen.