Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by Pendragon »

RebeccaCullen wrote:
Pendragon wrote: Oh yeah, I can definatly see Her and Jacob play tug-o-war with Nessie. (not literally of course :lol: ) They would vie to get her to like one better than the other.
Even if Rose tried to vie for Nessie's attention, she'd always come in third at least after Bella and Jake. I mean, the child bit her mother and that bond there was formed, Jake imprinted on her, and Bella was tied with Jake for appearing in her dreams. Plus I do think Nessie would be a bit of a daddy's girl, being his only child and all. Rose really ranks back. She's just the aunt/godmother.

At the end of BD not much is really given on Rose and Bella's relationship, but I do think that it's going to eventually be strained because Bella got everything that Rose never got. Not to mention that Bella got Edward's attention where she never did. For now I do think their friendship is there, but so many years from now, who knows.

Yeah I can definitely imagine resentment on Rosalie's part seeing as how Bella got EVERYTHING in her life and didn't lose anything despite her warnings. Rosalie will probably just maintain a good relationship for Nessie's sake. I don't really see a close relationship forming between the two.
Hohenstaufen
Settled in Forks

Post by Hohenstaufen »

Pendragon wrote:
RebeccaCullen wrote:
Pendragon wrote: Oh yeah, I can definatly see Her and Jacob play tug-o-war with Nessie. (not literally of course :lol: ) They would vie to get her to like one better than the other.
Even if Rose tried to vie for Nessie's attention, she'd always come in third at least after Bella and Jake. I mean, the child bit her mother and that bond there was formed, Jake imprinted on her, and Bella was tied with Jake for appearing in her dreams. Plus I do think Nessie would be a bit of a daddy's girl, being his only child and all. Rose really ranks back. She's just the aunt/godmother.

At the end of BD not much is really given on Rose and Bella's relationship, but I do think that it's going to eventually be strained because Bella got everything that Rose never got. Not to mention that Bella got Edward's attention where she never did. For now I do think their friendship is there, but so many years from now, who knows.

Yeah I can definitely imagine resentment on Rosalie's part seeing as how Bella got EVERYTHING in her life and didn't lose anything despite her warnings. Rosalie will probably just maintain a good relationship for Nessie's sake. I don't really see a close relationship forming between the two.
I'm quite the opposite. I always though that Nessie brought them both closer together. I just got that feeling when I was reading the book.
Beckyno1
Settled in Forks

Post by Beckyno1 »

I love Rosalie! Easily my favourite character! Who can't love her?
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Do you think that Rosalie and Emmett were immediately a couple after she rescued him or do you think they had a lot of issues? The way Edward told it, he made it sound like they were an immediate thing, but I imagine Rose to have issues with men especially since she found him not long after her transformation.

I don't think Bella and Rosalie will ever be as close as she is with Alice or even Esme, but I think they would remain friends for the rest of their existence. I think Rose gained respect for her for the decision to carry out the pregnancy and tough it out. I don't think she was necessarily jealous because her main issue with Bella being a vamp was that she was throwing away her potential to have a family. If she was jealous, I don't think she would really care either way.
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

lady4string wrote:Do you think that Rosalie and Emmett were immediately a couple after she rescued him or do you think they had a lot of issues? The way Edward told it, he made it sound like they were an immediate thing, but I imagine Rose to have issues with men especially since she found him not long after her transformation.
A good question, and something I've wondered myself. No doubt that for a human, the aftereffects of such a violent, brutal rape would be long and far reaching. A woman wouldn't easily put that behind her, or be able to engage in a healthy physical relationship with a man without considerable time and help.

However, we're talking vampires here. SM made it clear throughout the books, especially in BD, that memories of one's human life fade quickly and become hard to recall after the change. While Rosalie clung to the memory of how her life had ended in order to wreak revenge on her attackers, it must in some regards have seemed like something that happened to someone else--her mind, her body and her life now were so radically different.

When she came across Emmett, not only was Rosalie a completely different woman, but he was her mate in the way that Esme was Carlisle's, and Jasper Alice's, and Bella Edward's. In SM's world, vampires don't get divorced. When they find "the one," that's it. It's a deep, permanent bond. So it was for Rosalie, when she found Emmett. I don't see that there could have been any doubt for her at all, nor apparently for him.

Not that she wasn't hell on wheels to live with once they were married. :lol:
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
Anto21
Wandering Through Town

Post by Anto21 »

The character of Rosalie is very interesting. I didn't like her very much in the beginning, she seemed to me selfish and interested only in herself. Then when I read chapter 24 "the vote" someone("let me explain", she pleaded, "I don't mean that I have any adversion to you as a a sister. It's just that...this is not the life I would have chosen for myself. I wish there had been e there to vote no for me") and of course chapter 7 "unhappy ending" in "Eclipse" I began to understand her better. She's not one of my favourite character, but I believe she's more complex and less superficial than she can appear at a first look as also she shows it in BD. Maybe Bella and Rosalie aren't best friends as Bella and Alice, but their relationship changed in "Eclipse" and in BD becomes stronger. The dynamic is interesting. I also like the friend/enemy relationship between Rose and Jacob, some jokes are hilarious.

As far as concerns the question of lady4string:
Do you think that Rosalie and Emmett were immediately a couple after she rescued him or do you think they had a lot of issues? The way Edward told it, he made it sound like they were an immediate thing, but I imagine Rose to have issues with men especially since she found him not long after her transformation

well in her last moment of her human life Rosalie lived an horrible experience and a very difficult to recover from. Even if becoming a vampire her human memories faded I don't think that she forgot completly. The way she tells Bella her story is intense and passionate. It seems to me that when she meet Emmett she is immediately fond of him "I didn't want him to die- so much that, even though I hated this life, I was selfish enough to ask Carlisle to change him for me". Those lines explain a lot of her, she doesn't like being a vampire, she's selfish and aware of being but she also feels love and compassion.
look after my heart, I've left it with you
twihart
Settled in Forks

Post by twihart »

One of the things I have been thinking about is how Rosalie feels about Carlisle. She comments that she wishes someone had been there to vote for her and says none of their stories have a happy ending or they would be under a gravestone. This all reflects how unhappy she is being a vampire which is directly because of action taken by Carlisle. Wouldn't these commments seem to be pointed at him?
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

twihart wrote:One of the things I have been thinking about is how Rosalie feels about Carlisle. She comments that she wishes someone had been there to vote for her and says none of their stories have a happy ending or they would be under a gravestone. This all reflects how unhappy she is being a vampire which is directly because of action taken by Carlisle. Wouldn't these commments seem to be pointed at him?
Yeah, I thought that. I always felt that Rose loved Carlisle and appreciated him as being a better/healthier father figure than she'd had as a human, but that she always, from the very beginning, resented what he did to her.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
twihart
Settled in Forks

Post by twihart »

I appreciated knowing her story because it gave some context to her attitude; it still seems there should have been indication of her resolution to the situation and her love for Carlisle/Esme. Making her so bitter then mating her with the gregarious loving Emmett was an effort at balance I know but still she could keep her edge but forgive. I don't think she truly forgives Carlisle.
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Rosalie has always been one of those characters that while I am glad is in the story, I don't really like. I do admit I like her in Breaking Dawn. She did an amazing job there, helping Bella while she was pregnant. Learning about her story did give me more respect for her. I think her and Emmett are a GREAT match for each other.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story