Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?
I think he was justified to go the Cullens and check on Bella. He is her friend. But he had no right to plan a fight against them. He had known all along that Bella wanted to become a vampire, and he should respect her choice.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?
I was surprised that she became so weak in such a short time. On Isle Esme she was fine, and just a week or so later, she was almost dying. But I knew that the pregancy would be very difficult, since the baby was a mix between her and Edward, so it would be so much stronger than Bella. And during a normal pregnancy the woman's body has time to adjust and grow with the baby. I Bella's case, the growth was just so rapid, and her body couldn't handle it.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
I was not surprising that she turned to Rosalie. All Bella wanted was to protect her nudger, and she knew how much Rosalie wanted a baby. So Rosalie would do anything to protect the baby. As for Rosalie's motivations, I am not sure..I think most of her cared for the baby, and maybe she would have sacrificed Bella to protect the baby. But I'm not sure, she may have truly cared for Bella.
The dividing of the Cullens was like I expected it. Emmett wouldn't dare to go against Rosalie. Esme has lost a child herself, and can identify with Bella's situations.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
No, I don't agree with this. I think that Jacob knew Bella very well. He is her best friend, and he was good at reading her face. But I do not think that Jacob knew her inner emotions. I think that Bella reseved that for Edward. Edward spent the most time with her, and they had opened themselves completely to eachother. So I think that Edward knows Bella the best. I also thought that the fact that Bella can still surprise Edward, was a good thing.
I think at this point, Edward was going crazy with worry. He didn't know what to do, and he couldn't understand why Bella would sacrifice her life. I don't think that has anything to do with Edward not understanding Bella, he just does not understand a mothers instinct.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?
It was expected that Edward would ask for that. He had showed before that he would not survive Bella. He just couldn't live without her. But I didn't really think it would come to that. I believed that Bella would survive. And if she didn't, I thought that Edward would find the strength to stay alive for his child. The child would be half Bella, and I think Edward would have wanted to take care of it.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?

Justified is not the word I'd use. I'm not surprised he did it, though -- he was, after all, "waiting for the fight to begin" and more than that, was waiting for his chance at vindication.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?

It surprised me that she started to look so sick so quickly; although it shouldn't have because we knew at this time how fast things were progressing. I'm not sure I understood that it would have such a dramatic, negative impact on her body.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?

Based on the story we heard about Rosalie in Eclipse, I'm not surprised she's the one Bella turned to. Even Esme probably wouldn't have understood as well as Rose does. I hated the way it was kind of "us versus them" that the Cullens had going on at this point.

4. Edward says several times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?

I completely agree with Edward. Edward's view of Bella is clouded by his love for her (not necessarily in a bad way). Jacob loves Bella very much, but has a more realistic view of her, in my opinion. Edward's thoughts may be clouded by the pregnancy, but not when it comes to how well Jacob knows Bella.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?

This entire part of the conversation made me so uncomfortable. Even if Bella did die, I'm not sure Jacob would have been present enough to kill Edward. If he had been present enough, I'm not sure he would have wanted to kill Edward; the only person who felt the same pain even more acutely than he did.

Image Image Image
Latima
Settled in Forks

Post by Latima »

Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?

Because he went because he wanted to kill Edward because he just knew they had broken the treay by turning Bella into a vampire, no he was not right or justified for disobeying Sam's orders. I do think he should have waited to find out if they treaty was in fact broken. I do think he had a right to check on Bella because Charlie was concerned because he was told Bella was very sick. Despite all Bella and Jacob has gone through they are still very close friends and they both still care for reach other and so I do think Jacob has a good reason to go out and see what is going on with Bella.

Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?

It did kind of surprise me that she looked so frail and sick. I was expecting a normal preganancy...or as normal as it could get having a half human half vampire baby. After understanding the accelerated pregnancy I did think it should take a toll on her body. As a human our bodys take on the gradual change not a rapid change. I think Stephenie Meyer did a great job making the pregnancy non worldly. Women only respond to what the baby wants and needs and Bella and the Cullens had no idea what to expect with this child.

The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
It was very practicle for Bella to turn to the one person who would understand her stance on keeping her unborn child. Rose never thought Bella was doing the right thing by throwing her life away for love. Rose would definately accept Bella as a vampire sister if Bella's reason stemed from saving her unborn child over her soulmate Edward. It did not surprise me, the family division. Edward is so bent out of shape to protect her and he had no idea what she was carrying andhe knew that whatever it was it would hurt her becasue she is human and can only take on so much as a human. The 'coven' is a true family of love and protection and ultimately they all stick together. So even though Carlisle and Edward did not think it was a good idea to keep the child they would do all they could to protect Bella and her unborn child for the sake of the family.

Edward says several times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?

No I do not think Jacob knows Bella more. I do think they know two different versions of Bella. She knows she can be less reserved with Jacob and she shows that throughout the series. Although I do think edwards vision is clouded because he cant hurt Bella and he thinks this unborn child is a threat to the love of his life so all he can think about is how he can protect her without hurting her and that is hard for him to do. Jacob loves Bella just as much as Edward the only difference is Jacob is human and he they were friends first andhe knows that Bella likes the truth no matter what. He is not araid to say what is necessary to help save Bella or just to bring her back to reality. Jacob never sugar coats things for Bella and Edward always does. I think Edward confuses that when he thinks Jacob understands her more.

What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?

I do think Edward was very serious because clearly he will not live without Bella. We know this due to the Italy trip in New Moon. So of course he would want to die and he knows his family would NEVER agree to do something like that. I don't believe it would have come to that because while I was reading I just did not think Stephenie would actually kill Bella. In my heart I had to believe that Bella would survive. Not to mention Esme survived under very extreme circumstances.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders? Well I think he had a right to find out what the heck was going on but wanting to start a fight was wrong in my mind.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body? I figured that when her book ended, how scared Edward was, how quickly the pregnancy was progressing that this would be very hard on her body.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue? I was not surprised at all. I knew at the end of her book that that is who she was calling as soon as she had picked up the phone. I feel Edward's explanation made sense, they all acted pretty true to character here. I was wondering were the heck Alice was tho.

4. Edward says several times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better? I think Jacob does read Bella better. Edward is so used to being able to here peoples thoughts he doesn't have to rely on facial expressions. Edward is able to read Bella a lot of the time and is still learning. But I think that this is what attracted him to her so much that he has to work at reading her she was a mystery.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? I hoped It wouldn't come to that. I didn't agree with Jacob's desire to kill him even if Bella had died. It really wouldn't make him feel any better. Plus Edwards obsession with dying if Bella were dead is a bit annoying to me. He still has a family that loves him very much.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

No. Honestly, what did he think he was going to do? He was alone so he was going to get himself killed if he started a fight. Jacob needed to respect Bella and leave things alone. At this point he didn't know what was wrong with Bella and he could only assume she had been turned. There was nothing left for him to do, so he needed to move on.

I was a little surprised she was so sick looking. I wasn't as surprised by the rapid progression of the pregnancy because we already knew the baby was developing quickly. But, I guess I expected Bella to change as quickly as the baby did because she wasn't sickly when they were on the island. I felt really bad for Bella because she was so sick, and I can't even imagine what shape she would have been in if she had stayed human after the pregnancy.

I wasn't really surprised that Rose was acting as Bella's protector. Rose wanted a baby more than anything in the world and this was the only opportunity for that. Bella knew that Rose would protect her at all costs because Bella had what Rose wanted most. I really wasn't that surprised to hear how the family had "divided" over this. They were all doing what they thought was right, and doing their best to keep their loved ones happy.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
I agree that Jacob did understand Bella more than Edward did only because Jacob is also human (partly anyway). Jacob isn't as worried about Bella getting hurt or what sort of news she can handle because he is human and knows a little about the amount a human can take. Jacob has also seen Bella through the darkest time of her life and knows how strong she really is. I don't think Edward's thoughts are necessarily clouded, it seems to me that he is actually seeing some things a little clearer. Edward hasn't been a human in almost a hundred years and he does not understand everything a human can really do or think they can do. The way Bella is fighting for her baby is sheding some light on what she would do and is capable of doing for someone she loves and something she believes in.

I knew it wouldn't come to that because it would be dumb to kill off main characters halfway through a book. But, I wasn't surprised Edward would agree to let Jacob kill him. Edward was in the worst pain of his life and he felt that he would deserve to die if anything happened to Bella. He seemed to think Jacob would be justified in killing him because he had earned it for getting Bella pregnant.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

It would have been a silly thing to do to take on the Cullens when there is only 1 of you! Jacob was angry and he is young and you can imagine the testosterone kicking in etc. making the idea of a fight appealing. The amount of competition between these two just stirs it on and encourages trouble. At that moment in time Edward is all Jacob can think about and Jacob isnt thinking about Sam or what he had said. I dont think though that these are justifiable enough reasons however.

Definately. I hadnt thought about the pregnancy and whether it would be different to a "normal" human pregnancy. The fact it was so fast must have been quite scary for Bella! So yes, it did susprise me how terrible she looked and how much she was suffering.

In a way yes as they have never got on brilliantly but then again no as we know how desperate Rosalie is to have a "normal" human life which includes having a child. If there is any chance Rosalie can be around anyone who has a normal life she will take it and protect that person as much as she can. She is protecting Bella but for selfish reasons. If it wasnt Rosalie then I think Bella might have asked Esme for help.

They both understand Bella very well but in different ways as such. They have their own unique experiences with Bella which helps/influences them to understand Bella in their own way. Edwards thoughts will definately be clouded though as there is so much he is worrying and anxious about. In certain situations Edward understands Bella more than Jacob but vice versa too.

If Bella did die I think Edward would have gone to Jacob to carry out his wish but I dont think Jacob would be able to. He would go to kill him but I dont think he would actually follow through (or is that just me hoping this?). Whether Edward would find another way I do not know - I imagine he would go to the Volturi but I dont think I would want to know whether they actually killed him or not. If they did it would be too horrible to read so its best just leaving us to think they would but not actually knowing for sure.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

um...lets see....NO!!!! absolutely not!! anything putting the cullens in danger i hated...thats all!

even though i knew what was coming, the details schocked me!! i was like "poor bella!" :cry: just get rid of it!! it's killing you!! i was kinda mad at bella all while she was pregnant.....

i was like "oh no. its like when bella and edward fist met all over again!! noooo!" And i was shocked that bella and rosalie and bella would reach out to each other like that. i was like jacob going "what the heck?? did i miss something??"

edward's crazy, always has been. so i wasnt nessecaryily surprised by his reaction. i was just like "here we go again *smacks forehead" And no, i dont think jacob knew her better, even though he is a bit crazy!!

i didnt think it would come to that. but i thought i sooo edward to make an agreement like that. he's soooo crazy. and i figured "well, point for jacob..." :roll:
Betting on Alice.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

Yes. Technically there was a breech in the treaty. I knew he wasn't gonna start a fight because well we knew what was going on.

I didn't think the thing was going to kill her. I think she's crazy not to "get it out of her" but that would have messed with the hidden message of the book. Honestly I was worried that Edward was going to try and force her to not keep the baby and she was going to end up with Jacob. (I'm not okay with that)

I was surprised that Bella asked Rosalie to help. But I hate Rosalie for it. I think its terrible that the family is divided over a demon spawn.

No I think Jacob knows Bella AS A FRIEND more. But he doesn't know about her "wants" and what she needs. He's a little selfish.

I hated that. I don't wany my Edward to get hurt :] I never thought it would come to that but if it did I would have thrown the book at the wall.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
jacobblacksgirl
Location: Riding motocycles with Jacob........Cliff diving with Jacob, Embry, Quil, and Sam

Post by jacobblacksgirl »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders? Yes, I do think Jacob was justified to going to the Cullens to confort Edward because Jacob is second in command he should be able to do what ever he wants with out having to tell Sam what he is going to do.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body? I was so sad at what the baby had done to Bella. But because the baby is a hybrid its going to grow that fast inside of Bella.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue? OMFG yes I was freaking shocked when she told Rosalie to protect Bella. I was think Bella you no Rosalie doesn't like you, but i guess its a good thing because Rosalie has always want to have kids becase two vampires can't concive children but a vampire and a human can. So I was so happy when Bella to Rosalie to protect her.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better? I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever Edward left Bella in New Moon Jacob has always been there for Bella. He knows that Bella is his best friend no matter. So Edward knows that Bella will listen to Jacob .

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? No, I i don't think that it would have ever came to that. They became friends and friends do not harm friends. and when Bella did die Jacob dodn't even lay one paw on Edward.
I got my werewolf boy.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Yes actually, even tho I was opposed to the idea. But I get why Jacob wanted to, and he had to right to get mad. Tho I did not think he would win, and so for that reason I didn't want him to. If that makes sense?? He thought there was a breach in the treaty so he was just going to do what he thought was right.

Yeah, it freaked me out a little but I guess in a way I expected it, as I didn't think this was gonna be a normal pregnancy! I hated how it was hurting her, and I hated how she would listen to Edward & Jacob about it killing her!!

Yes defo. I know why she asked Rosalie, but still I don't really like Rosalie that much, and I hated her here. It seemed like she did not care for Bella at all!! Only the baby. It bugged me that no one was really siding with Edward or Carisle...

I really don't know why he said that. I think Edward knows Bella better than anyone, including Jake. I mean, Jake does know A LOT about her, and he understands her to a certain degree. But he doesn't understand her love for Edward, which is a huge part of who she is! But I would say that Edward did understand Bella's friendship/love for Jacob. So for that reason, I would say that Edward understood her a lot more.

It made me really sad to think of it going this far. But if Bella did die, I think Edward would have went to Jake, and I think Jacob would have been so mad at Edward for allowing this to happen, he would have done it.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!