Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Sequels

Post by addictedbooklover »

I love the Host and all that, but I think that it's fine as a stand-alone book. It had a happy ending, and sequels might just ruin it, unless there's a good idea behind them.

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

I definitely want a sequel to the Host.
Maybe more on Burns.
That character interests me, and I feel like he would grow to love Wanda, and maybe develop a crush. :D
And I want to learn more about the rebel cells.
But I'm not sure if it would work, if it happens, it happens.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Would you all want another love triangle with Wanda caught in the middle? I think that would be unfair to Ian, don't you? But I would like to know more about Burns. And about the other humans.

Thank you Naureen!!
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

Sequel? YES PLEASE!
Even tho the end of Host felt like the end....meet some of the other humans with an alien helper you know they are gonna do ok an prolly even help eatch other out, I dont see the aleins leaveing letting humans go back to the way it was..Wanda likes being in a human's body because she got to use more of her tentacles then on any other plant...
The Seeker almost feels like it would be a PREQUEL but that's just me. I so do need to reread it didnt they do something to her sent her off ...so maybe that is where SM's pickin up from on that part....intresting .....
anyways

*Sliverwear banging on table* SEQUEL! SEQUEL! PRETTY PLEASE!! ;)

( or the other storys she's said on her site she's thinkin about would be alwesome too ..Sirens ..ghosts.. I'm a Nerd for anything Myth/Fant.... give me..vamps..wearwolfs...dragons..elven..dwarfs..magic casters... mermaids... anything IM SO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!) :D
twilight.geek
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilight.geek »

I really enjoyed The Host and can't wait for the two other books! I want to know what is happening with everyone; Ian and Wanda, Jared and Mel, and Kyle and Sunny! Tell us what is happening, tell us Stephenie! We want to know!
All you need is a steak and a fishing pole and you can catch your own werewolf! Man, I wish that was true.
TEAM WEREWOLVES! I run with werewolves.
Team Ian!
Team Peeta!
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

From Stephenie's Website:
A
re you writing any other books right now? - Kershia

One of the weirdest things for me about success is how it sucks away your time. I'm successful because I write books, but that very success takes all my writing time! It's very frustrating. I'm just itching to get back into a fantasy world right now, but the real world won't let me. I thought this would be a writing year, but unless you count emails as writing, it didn't work out that way. I was able to do a few smaller things that will show up here and there—an extra chapter for the release of The Host in paperback, that kind of thing. I've really worked to clear my time, but that is a slow and ongoing process. Of course, another aspect is that I am more burned out by the last five years than I even realized.

Hi Stephenie! :) Of course, I love the Twilight saga, but I was also blown away by how beautiful and unique your other novel, The Host, was -- so I was wondering: do you have any plans for more books not related to Twilight? Thank you so much! :) Kelly <3

I'd like to eventually have The Host be part of a trilogy. That's one of the projects I'd really like to get to in the next year or so.

Whoo hoo!

:D
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
copper curls
Welcoming Newbies with Cheers and Emmett-hugs

Post by copper curls »

fanMNM wrote:
slightlyobsessed wrote: Okay, two new questions about potential sequels:

1) Do you foresee the community in the caves moving? Going to look for another, bigger place to call home? They're going to need more room soon, especially if the new humans we met at the end of The Host are going to stay with Jeb and his "family." We already saw them sort of scraping the edges of their home with the addition of Wanderer, so it kind of seems inevitable, right?

2) Do you think that there will be a big battle for Earth at the end of the series? Or do you think the humans and the Souls will be able to live peacefully together somehow? Souls don't fight, but many of them have found Earth to be more of a home than any of the other worlds they've ever visited (Wanderer for instance). Would they be willing to fight for that now? And if they all (humans and Souls) give peace a go, how would that work? Would Souls that are already on Earth be fine, but no new Souls are introduced? Unless, of course, Souls give birth and implant new Souls into their children, I suppose. And would humans be willing to put aside the urge for revenge against the Souls if it meant they no longer had to fear for their own lives?

Okay, that was more than two questions. Two general areas of discussion, I guess.
I think that with the rate they seem to be growing, they are going to have to do something to change living arrangements. I dunno why I thought this...but I considered the idea that with the introduction of this new group of humans (and Burns) that some of that "swapping" was going to happen. We don't know anything about where these other humans have been living and so they may have more room? or access to a bigger space? Who knows... But Wanda did show them how to remove souls from humans, so they have the potential to have even more come to live with them. I think eventually space is going to become a problem.

I also wonder if finding these new humans, and wanting to interact with them, with draw everyone into more danger because they are more likely to come and go from the caves more often?
slightlyobssed and Michelle (fanMNM) have raised some good points & these are in fact my main questions as well. I was intrigued by the idea that the meeting between the two resistance groups at the end would lead to a larger “community” of humans (Burns’ group mentions two other groups, in addition to their own). They also mention members of one group “taking up” with someone from a different group, and so the small communities are rearranged.
For some reason, I had this idea that the communities would all sort of join up together, no matter what way the story went. They would either be living peacefully and in harmony, with Wanda and Burns doing their part as souls, and the humans doing their part as well (which is what I imagined at the end of the book), OR, they would all join up to start some sort of Human (& Some Souls) Survival and Resistance Group ™
So I always just expected the humans to gravitate towards one another, whether or not there were sequels to relay that to us readers. *shrugs*
I really cannot think of a way that the struggle between humans and souls could be resolved in a way that doesn’t decimate the entire planet and leave all parties wounded, with almost nothing left. That is, if the humans were to take a stand against the invading aliens.
So I guess all this is just meaningless speculating, but oh, well.
I enjoy reading other’s ideas of what might take place, as well as knowing that people share my thought in certain matters.

~ Kat
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV
HopelessRomantic
Settled in Forks

Post by HopelessRomantic »

Just voicing my opinion as an echo to what I am sure has already been said many times over:

I would absolutely love Stephenie to continue on with the Host, I absolutely love her writting and I find it very easy to completely lose myself into the heart of every one of her stories. Though I also have to agree with those who have said before me that the idea of Stephenie killing off anyone else is certainly not at all appealing.. :/
~Mirrors are sensitive windows; they allow you to see into the depths of your own soul.~