President Barack Obama

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Re: President Barack Obama

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

Considering the fact that most people see Obama as The First Black President before anything else, do you think he would have won the election if he'd been white or a different minority? Please support your answer.
I'm not sure. I'm personally not a fan of McCain, or his policies. Hilary was crazy. I'm not saying I'm against a woman being our president, but I am against a CRAZY woman being the president. I just think Obama is a kind, intelligent guy. I would've voted for him if he was white, black, male, female, Asian, Mexican, European, Cheetah, or anything else. He's a good guy. I like listening to him talk. Sure, he'll make mistakes. Every president will. But if we only focus on the bad things, and leave out the good, we're just being ignorant. I like Obama, and would've voted for him if I could.

Jenna, I have signed the petition, and talked about it on my Twitter.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

That is a good point.

Is there a specific policy of the new administration that you have especial favor for? One that you have issue with?
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Thanks so much Derek!
So if it were Obama vs. McCain, Obama would've won no matter what race he was. But if he were a white male, he would've never made it past the primaries, because it was already close with Hillary Clinton, and some people I think would vote for her just because she's a woman and they want someone other than a white male to be our president.
Is there a specific policy of the new administration that you have especial favor for? One that you have issue with?
Okay, now I do not want to make this into a town hall fiasco, but I'm really having a issue with his health care plan. I think we need to make changes, but his are not the answer. I think it's horrible how people are being denied coverage because of a typo, but you have to look on the flip side of the coin. My cousin lived in Sweden, and the doctors there get paid zilch, and they will only see so many patients then they're off golfing the rest of the day, because they only have to see X number of patients every day. Then also, in Canada people have had to wait six months for treatment, and by then the disease has spread so much they've died. This is the program that Obama wants to bring here, and eventually ALL of us will have to be covered by the government. It's not good.
So yes, we need health care changes. But not these ones.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Anytime Jenna.
I actually have a Geography teacher who is extremely interested in current events; if I get a chance I'll bring it up to her.

As for Obama policies, I agree with Jenna. Health care needs to be changed, obviously. But the way Obama is doing it isn't perfect.

I wish that people would think about other things that are sometimes neglected, such as the Invisible Children.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
blasphemous_contessa
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

My personal opinions and feelings don't fall directly down any single party line. I believe that standardized healthcare would just slow down or even halt medical advancements. If you're not going to make any extra money for finding a better way to perform surgery why bother trying? So many in the medical field are drawn by greed not the science or helping people.

Then there's The Big Abortion Issue. My personal thoughts are if you believe yourself to be old and mature enough to make the decision to have sex then you have already made the decision baby-wise. Abortions should only be allowed in cases where it could literally kill the mother to carry a child full; term, rape and/or incest. But I also don't believe that makign it illegal will make it go away, there will just be back alley abortions with a higher death rate.

Welfare.... Oh boy. I know a girl who's mother encouraged her to get pregnant because she would lose her welfare when the girl turned 18. So the girl and her mom were on Welfare, she doesn't have a job and her boyfriend doesn't have a job and his mom works a minimum wage job, and they are having a baby just to get more government money. Something needs to be done to stop this kind of thing from happening. When I lived in Texas we were on Welfare, because we lived with out elderly grandparents who even if they were able to maneuver and work still wouldn't have been able to afford to take care of us and my mother was going through a very severe mental illness. But once her medications got stabilized she started working, once I turned 16 I started working. In cases like that where the adults really cannot work a stable job and there are children then there should definately be something TEMPORARY in place to keep them from at least starving to death.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
roo-roo91
Taking Nature Lessons from Jacob

Post by roo-roo91 »

blasphemous_contessa wrote:Is there a specific policy of the new administration that you have especial favor for? One that you have issue with?

My personal opinions and feelings don't fall directly down any single party line. I believe that standardized healthcare would just slow down or even halt medical advancements. If you're not going to make any extra money for finding a better way to perform surgery why bother trying? So many in the medical field are drawn by greed not the science or helping people.

Then there's The Big Abortion Issue. My personal thoughts are if you believe yourself to be old and mature enough to make the decision to have sex then you have already made the decision baby-wise. Abortions should only be allowed in cases where it could literally kill the mother to carry a child full; term, rape and/or incest. But I also don't believe that makign it illegal will make it go away, there will just be back alley abortions with a higher death rate.

Welfare.... Oh boy. I know a girl who's mother encouraged her to get pregnant because she would lose her welfare when the girl turned 18. So the girl and her mom were on Welfare, she doesn't have a job and her boyfriend doesn't have a job and his mom works a minimum wage job, and they are having a baby just to get more government money. Something needs to be done to stop this kind of thing from happening. When I lived in Texas we were on Welfare, because we lived with out elderly grandparents who even if they were able to maneuver and work still wouldn't have been able to afford to take care of us and my mother was going through a very severe mental illness. But once her medications got stabilized she started working, once I turned 16 I started working. In cases like that where the adults really cannot work a stable job and there are children then there should definately be something TEMPORARY in place to keep them from at least starving to death.
I agee with that. Only I really don't like abortion period. But I guess if the girl was raped or something and was in a life threatening situation it'd be acceptable.
Gamzee is best troll; Dr.Facilier is best Disney villain, Dimitri is best Cooper gang member. They all are associated with purple. That is awesome.
blasphemous_contessa

Anyone have any thoughts on Gay Marriage?

Some people have the dumbest arguments against it that make no sense.
roo-roo91

Post by roo-roo91 »

I'm not against it. Everyone has the right to be married.
Straights, Gays, Bis EVERYONE.
Gamzee is best troll; Dr.Facilier is best Disney villain, Dimitri is best Cooper gang member. They all are associated with purple. That is awesome.
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

^^Exactly.
I don't care what people say, being homophobic is just like being racist.
If someone likes a person of the same sex, so be it.
It really disgusts me how ignorant people are.
roo-roo91

Post by roo-roo91 »

Agreed, Homophobes are just frustrating they have the most idiotic arguments against gays and lesbians.
And to tell the truth I think most of them are just hiding in the closest.