Digital Reading: e-books discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Digital Reading: e-books discussion

Post by bac »

A place to discuss digital reading, e-books, and all that is related.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Digital Reading: e-books discussion

Post by Lieziewiezie »

Yay! A forum to discuss digital reading.

I got my e-reader 2 weeks ago (after a very long hassle since we actually don't have any released in Belgium).

My main reasons I wanted an e-reader were:
1) Going on vacation and leaving 5 kilo's of clothes out so I could take 10 books.
2) Reading in bed/sofa's/ absolutly everywhere and sometimes huge books aren't really comfy to read then
3) I always want to take a book with me, to read in traffic or at points I just need a book; and some of them just don't fit inside a purse.
4) I live in an appartement and my entire book cabinet (which is a huge one wall cabinet by the way) is getting stamped up with books, and half of them is still at my parents house since I just can't fit them all.

Yes, at first I was extremly worried about losing the feeling of books, and I wouldn't get used to it.
I think it took me about an hour and I can now seriously say I don't ever want to loose my e-reader once again.

My E-reader:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/27423/s ... dition-red (the first link I found in english)

Pro's:
-The fact you can also play music on it, so you don't need and an ipod and the e-reader
-The Color (yes, I'm addicted to the color Red)
-The touch screen and the fact that you can higlight things, and write in notes in your books and seperate files
-The dictionary (altough I don't have any e-book yet where the dictionary works, but I'm sure that'll come soon when the range of e-books becomes bigger)
-I think the reader feels really good on the eyes. And don't experience any trouble.

Negative points:
-The software isn't working on my Apple. Not to much of a deal since I can just 'drag' music and books towards it. But I do hope I get it working soon (it is working for some people and for PC's)
- The fact that it isn't wireless conected could be a negative point for some, altough I don't miss it one bit this far. When I am in range of a wireless internet I'm in the neigbourhood of a computer, so it takes one second to plug in.

The thing I needed to get used to the most:
E-readers aren't computerscreens because that would hurt the eyes to much, I knew they weren't backlighted in advance. Cause that wouldn't be possible with the easy on the eyes technology. But still I tried to 'hit' the screen to activite the light like you do on a laptop constantly.
You basicly need the same light as for reading a paper book. I'm still waiting for a cover with a reading light, that would come very much in handy.

So, what's your input on digital reading? Any questions or remarks if you're pondering about getting into digital reading?
What type of reader do you have, do you own alot of e-books, where do you get them? ...

Oooh... And No, I will never ever say totally goodbye to paper books. I own so much of them and will keep re-reading them, defenitly. It is just a very nice addition to it and I think it's good to combine them both.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I LOVE my Amazon Kindle! It was a Christmas present, but it was back ordered so I didn't get it until March, but it was worth the wait because the order was upgraded to the newer edition :D

I only have about 30 books on it right now, but I slowly adding to it. It had actually drastically increased how many books I read and how much reading I do. Since it fits in my purse, I almost always have it on me and I can pull it out whenever I find myself waiting in line anywhere, or in a waiting room, etc. Its great! I don't care if my Dr. is running late anymore... and almost prefer it if he is, lol.

I still collect books that I love in hardback, like the Twilight series and any Nicholas Sparks book.

The down side for me is that I keep finding books I want to read that are not available for the Kindle, which is annoying. The biggest example is Harry Potter! I can't believe they aren't available... so, I refuse to read them until they are made available, haha. The same thing happened with The Time Traveler's Wife, but I went ahead and bought it in paperback and it was SO worth it.

I highly recommend that hard core readers invest in an ebook!
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
wannabealice
Settled in Forks

Post by wannabealice »

I, too have a Kindle and just love it! :D I currently have 12 books (all of the twilight saga, of course :mrgreen: ), the Host, Prom nights from hell, etc. The things I love about the Kindle are: it can hold alot of books and only weigh 10.2 ounces; you can download free samples from a book before you buy (love that); you can download from anywhere because it's 3G; it takes less than 60 seconds to download an entire book; etc. I also love the Kindle application for the iPhone. I will say it again, Love my Kindle :D
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

My reader support about any type of e-book except the type fitted for the Kindle ;)
It supports PDF which is great, cause alot of documents are like that and then you can just put it on the reader.

Alot of the classics (Little Women, all Jane Austens, .....) are legit available for free. (which makes I have over 60 books on there and only own the reader for 2 weeks).
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I think the kindle really good, although I don't have one myself..

I like the feeling of a real book in my hands, the sights my shelfs full with the best books ever..
(ok sounding like hermiony again :oops: )
But I saw on Oprah how the kindle worked and it is a great way of bringing books with you on holiday or when you are traveling for work. save you a lot of space in you suitcase ( so you can shop alica style on you holiday)
I have been thinking about getting one, but I think it's a bit to expensive...
maybe in a few years...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

This new thread is really great...in fact, I'm thinking about getting an e-reader myself. I have loads of pdf's of new books and my bookshelves are already full. Besides, being an avid reader it would be absolutely amazing to have lots of books available in such a small object.
I'm collecting information about kindle and sony on the net and so far I'm pro-sony...there's only a "minor" problem: ereaders are not available here in Italy and some of the websites I checked don't ship to my country. Does anybody know any website that does ship electronics to Italy? I saw that Amazon US ships to Italy but I have to check if they ship kindle only or other ereaders as well. Besides, Amazon shipping fees for Europe are really expensive...any suggestions about how to solve these problems?

Editing the message because I have another question to ask: I've found BeBook is available in my country with Italian warranty...does anyone know if it is any good? I've read opposite opinions on the net...
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

dimber: Amazon has released an international Kindle, might be something worth looking into! 3 or 4 new readers have been released, or are about to be, including an updated Sony reader and a Barnes and Noble one. I am still very partial to my Kindle- it malfunctioned this weekend and a replacement will be here today!
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Lieziewiezie wrote:My reader support about any type of e-book except the type fitted for the Kindle ;)
It supports PDF which is great, cause alot of documents are like that and then you can just put it on the reader.

Alot of the classics (Little Women, all Jane Austens, .....) are legit available for free. (which makes I have over 60 books on there and only own the reader for 2 weeks).
These are two strong pro's for sony, at least for me...the mp3 reading is also a very tempting thing since it would prevent me for bringing with me the ipod too.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

The Sony isn't out in Belgium either. I searched the entire net and found no website that ships electronics outside it's own country. But Sony Netherlands did sell them, and they and belgium appearantly have the same main office. So I called in a few times and they were able to send one to me :) So I know i'm one of the only in Belgium.
I think kindle is coming over to Belgium too this year, but I'm not sad that I didn't wait since Kindle doesn't support pdf's (I heard) and leaves far less options since we don't even have our own amazon store. I'm curious how they gonna do that for dutch books and so on. We'll see.
I'm happy with my Sony. And I have mine in red, which totally made the deal.
The BeBook is the only reader available in Belgium, but I really don't like the looks and didn't hear to amazing things about it this far.