What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TheElysianSoul
Wandering Through Town

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by TheElysianSoul »

Well, basically I heard about Twilight while reading some anime fan's profile on FFNet. Now, she writes good fics so I thought she had a wonderful taste in literature as well. My interest was piqued.

So I did some research on the series, found it interesting, then asked my aunt to buy it for my birthday. First book got me hooked.

My thoughts on Twilight now? It's not amazing, but it's alright. :D
I'm a Fullmetal Alchemist fangirl, and right there on my avatar is my OTP. :D
ejgator
Settled in Forks

Post by ejgator »

I think the twilight series is amazing. I'm very attached to it and almost done reading it for a second time. The fact that it came to her in a dream is so unreal to me. This saga has touched me in some way that I can't really explain. The characters came to life for me and I found myself loving them, worrying for them and hurting with them. It's truly an inspiring story. So far I think I have come to one certain conclusion as to why I am so mesmerized. This story is about Vampires who few truly beleive exist, including the author herself and myself. It is a fantasy, right?! However an underlying message that may not have been intentional but to me has shouted loudly in my ears and heart is that; Everyone has a choice to be a better person or vampire in this case. It showed me that there CAN be good in all. It was quite powerful to me. I'm always looking for the best in people, unfortunately sometimes I focus on the worst. However I try to put it in perspective and this book puts a glowing twist on what I have always seen as dark, scary, evil, monstrous. I fell in love with it, all of it!
Kris M
Settled in Forks

Post by Kris M »

I absolutely loved all 4 books and I was hooked from day one!!

I saw the Twilight movie first and at the time I had already bought the book but I hadn't read it as of yet. We were in the middle of building a house and I was in the process of reading another series that I wanted to finish. So, over the last few months...I picked up the rest of the books so I would have the complete set when I did decide to start reading them.

Well, I listened to my friend go on and on about it for weeks over how great the book were, so I decided to put down the other book and start reading Twilight. OH MY, I couldn't put them down (thank goodness my kids were out for the summer :lol: )...4 days and 4 books later I was done!! Finshed!! THE END!! NOW WHAT AN I SUPPOSE TO DO?!?!? I was upset that it was over and there were no more books. I started searching the internet and found SM's site....read everything on there, watched her interviews and everything else I could find.

It was such an AWESOME experience, I started working out again and eating healthier. I put the Twilight movie in the DVD player and walk on the treadmill. Before I know, I've walked 3 miles!! It has literally changed my life...in a postive way, of course.

I would recommend these books to anyone...which I am currently re-reading at the moment.
TwilightMaiden
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightMaiden »

A friend of mine kept going on about Twilight so I decided to get the book from my local library. When I finished it the same day I got it from my library I was hooked! I re-read it and then went out and brought all 4 books, which I am now reading for the 17th straight time! I have seen the film 10 times and I just can't wait to see New Moon!

All my friends and family know that I am offically Twilight obsessed and I don't care :D
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I have to admit... I saw the movie first...
I knew it was based on a book and seeing as books are allways better that movie I bought Twilight.
I could say I was addicted to the movie but it was nothing comparred to my addiction to the books...
Bought all four of them in two weeks...
New Moon actually caused me high blood pressure because I got as anxious as Bella so I hurried to finish it.

I now have my mother started on Twilight to, I hope she'll love it...

I really love the whole story... it's so romantic... never thought I would read a romantic vampire story...I was more of the medival hero and legend stories like king arthur..
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Nala
Wandering Through Town

Post by Nala »

twilight-seria?
like an answered prayer...

J.K. Rowling got me read again and Stephenie inspired me to write myself.

I owe the Twilight-seria almoust everything.

wow, how melodramatic, eh?!
but true :!:
ALWAYS _________________________ Image
_____________________sorry to the unknown artist, couldnt detect you. still: I adore this image so! thank you!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I just like how it's not an all and all traditonal vampire story-narrated from a woman's POV mostly, the vampires have few weaknesses and enemies other than themselves/each other(same for the shapeshifters-I know, they generally hate each other until Breaking Dawn), and the use of a half vampire creature(dhampir-half human/half vampire) to end the conflicts in the story. And it even goes to give a new meaning to dhampirs(traditonally portayed as awkward appearing, villianous/anti-heroic creatures in most previous fiction).

They may not be the best stories ever written, but they're better than a lot of fiction I've read, and generally way better than most vampire stories that I've read. And I've never read a story that inspired me to write a story directly inspired by the original fiction, even for a friend(I originally wrote the stories I wrote for a friend overseas, but we liked them so much, she let me do with the stories what I pleased as far as sending copies to people who want them).

I just think that Twilight is a good alternative to the tradional male POV/third person POV, evil or anti-heroic vampire stories.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Andreas_90
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Andreas_90 »

I wasn’t very into the whole Twilight thing when it was released (although a friend of mine did try to make me read it, I dismissed it quickly), being an avid Anne Rice fan and have thus developed a somewhat elitist view on the whole vampire theme thing. I know, it’s quite narrow-minded and stubborn to hold that view, but the very idea of sparkling vampires just made me cringe.
Anyhow, I didn’t start reading the series until… oh, a few days ago or so. I had been passing a poster of the New Moon movie at the cinema on my way to school, every day, for almost four weeks before I finally said: “I’ll just have a look”. It took me three bookstores to find one with the English versions (Swedish translators tend to… ruin books, like Twilight becoming “If I Could Dream”, like wtf?) and after much contemplation (for some reason, I had the urge to just get it over with), I bought Twilight and New Moon and within the lap of half an hour, I was in my bed, reading it as fiercely as I could. I was completely enamoured: everything from the laced shirt as a farewell gesture to the sunbathing in the meadow. It was romantic, cute and also a bit dark (gothic dark) and it had just that necessary amount of humour in it.

I finished New Moon on my train ride home, more... yes, obsessed would be the right word, than ever, and got to Eclipse the following night. I had trouble sleeping, haha, kept waking up and going through the chapters in my head. So, this Saturday night I got going with Breaking Dawn and about a third into it, I noticed how the compulsive hold began to loosen and my mind started to wander: it hadn’t even done that once during the first three books.

And now I’m here! Breaking Dawn wasn’t my favourite of the series, mostly because of Bella’s pregnancy (People might hate me for this, but the child, Reneseme made me think of Claudia from Anne Rice’s novels and unlike with Claudia, I immediately disliked Renesme... I sort of hoped she’d turn dangerous and she needed to be destroyed) and the continued blurred line between humans and vampires (I like lines...). Or the married part. Hum hum. I’m editing this over and over, but Publisher’s Weekly says it better than I can: “Essentially, everyone gets everything they want, even if their desires necessitate an about-face in characterization or the messy introduction of some back story. Nobody has to renounce anything or suffer more than temporarily—in other words, grandeur is out.” Except for Irina, I would’ve loved to see at least a few people kicking the bucket... like Jane and the kid (awful of me I know, but Bella+Edward=Renesme 4ever and ever is just too happily ever after).

Strangely, the image that’s stuck to me through all the reading is that of young, mortal, human and fleshly Bella pushing her way through people in Volterra to get to Edward, the moving statue, the angel-faced vampire. I... well, just didn’t like it when Bella became a vampire. Some of the novelty was her fragile, human form and the feeling of star-crossed lovers, I suppose.

But nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed this weeklong fixation it sparked, and my sister is calling for tickets to New Moon when she gets home. Oh my, I’m a lost cause now.... not quite as hooked as I was earlier, but the sugarsweet ending (I did gag a little) did give me a sense of closure, and I liked that.
Anyhow, Stephenie Meyer did a great job with her books (waiting for Midnight Sun) and I hope she’ll move to other great things as well...

I am pondering if I should reread them again (so soon? Maybe the obsession is still there) but I know what happens now and like Shannon>You wrote, it was a bit heart-breaking reading the last one (and as mentioned the last is my least favourite). Oh well, I can settle for the movies... and the DVDs... and the motion picture soundtracks... maybe a poster too... yeah, the obsession’s still there.
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

I thought it was the awesomest series ever to be written!!!!
ImageImageImage
twilight_luva_4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by twilight_luva_4eva »

To be honest, when a friend invited me to go and watch the movie with her, I wasn't TOO enthusiastic. I'd heard it was either extremely scary or very romantic. That wasn't really my type. I had no idea what it was about and when I watched the movie, I wasn't too interested either. But after a while, I realised I DID like it. Why else would I have had a dream about it on the first day? I knew my parents wouldn't let me buy it so I searched desperately on the computer for free downloads of the book. When I finally found it, I understood why everyone was so OBSESSED. I was hooked in immediately and finished the book in 3 days! I couldn't wait to read the rest of the series. The only problem was, I couldn't get on the computer everytime I wanted to read. It frustrated me. But then I realised it didn't matter. The story was telling itself to me! The first night after reading Twilight, I dreamt about it again. I knew I had become an addict too! I have lots of dreams about the saga now, usually very good and interesting ones too! J.K Rowling had me reread the Harry Potter series over 20 times. But Stephenie has had me have dreams about twilight and desperately search for online fansites and biographies.