A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I felt it coming when I read the title of the chapter "The End"

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Yeah

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I knew he was gone and it sucked it felt like he was leaving me :( , but I knew he still wanted Bella cause he said he would always do what he thought was best, and even the most perfect man in the world can be wrong.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I was like oh stupid boy who dissed the Culles at First Beach

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I cried a when Edward left and had stopped but I started again when I saw those they were kinda heart breaking :(
**Kathryn**
AmandaHeartsTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by AmandaHeartsTwilight »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

It completely took me by surprise. I had no idea it was coming, even with the fact the Jasper attacked Bella and all. I never thought he would go so far as to leave her. I thought he would never even consider leaving her.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yes. If I have a strong relationship with someone, and they suddenly start to fade away, I try my hardest to keep the connection healthy and vital. Although, sometimes it does not work.

3. Edward's speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I know, and I'm sure everyone else her does, Edward well enough to know that if he says something, he usually follows through with it. In this case, when he said that he was leaving and not coming back, I knew he was not going to. HIs speech was very harsh, and I think it was a little bit too blunt and straightforward. He's told Bella countless times that he loves her and that he' not going to leave her, but he does anyway. I felt bad for Bella.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

At first, I thought maybe he was Bella's new love or something. Usually, the guy who rescues the vulnerable one is often the one who falls in love with her. I half-expected Bella to start clinging on to him, as she did with Jacob.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.

I felt really depressed. Time was flying by do fast, and nothing was changing for poor Bella. It hurt me to think that Edward was gone for so long.
It was a great technique to use in the book, though. Very thoughtful.
SGR
Settled in Forks

Post by SGR »

Yeah, the title kinda gave an indication of what was to come.

Yeah, I have, actually. That's one of the few things Bella and I have in common. However, the relationship I was trying to salvage (and managed to salvage) was one based on love, not lust (like Edward and Bella's). (I don't mean to offend anybody by that. I honestly don't.)

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I thought, "He'll be back at the end of the book." However, I certainly believed that he was going to be gone for a while. To be honest, I kinda missed the Cullens, since the middle of the book kinda lagged without them.

I thought, "Thank God! Someone's coming to rescue her! There's no way she'd be able to find her way home otherwise!" I didn't like feeling that way, though. I didn't like the fact that Bella was filling that antiquated role of damsel in distress.

It actually bothered me a lot. Was she honestly letting her life crash because Edward wasn't there? I'd understand if she was depressed for a few days, but five months is reaaly gratuitous. That's pretty anti-feminist, if you ask me.
Yeah, I'm an anti. If I'm being too mean, please let me know.
Atashi Honoo no Messenger! [color]
themeadow
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by themeadow »

- The title basically gave it away but I had a feeling it was coming as soon as the birthday party was over.

-Yeah, I don't think it was so intense and heartbreaking for me though.

- I started bawling the moment he took her into the woods, but I wasn't ready to believe him as quick as Bella did. I knew that all of the things he'd told her hadn't just gone away. He even hinted at it in Twilight when he said "as long as it is what's best for you." I always believed he was coming back, but it broke my heart that he left her all alone and depressed.

-I honestly didn't think much of it. Yeah, it was a little suspicious but it took me awhile to put it all together.

I felt my heart breaking with her. I just started bawling and saying "no...no...". :(
These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume.
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

i knew it was coming. i dont know exactly when i knew but him being so distant let me know it was bad.

of course. i've went a little crazy a couple of times. never quite as long but definatly crazy lol

i cried, and cried and cried. everytime i read NM i get kind of depressed. i think its because i can remember EXACTLY how it felt to be crushed like that

honestly i thought about werewolves. the animal sniffing gave it away for me but i was very exceited.

depression, pain, tears. it was very very sad
Chyeah
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chyeah »

SGR wrote:1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
Yeah, the title kinda gave an indication of what was to come.

Yeah, I have, actually. That's one of the few things Bella and I have in common. However, the relationship I was trying to salvage (and managed to salvage) was one based on love, not lust (like Edward and Bella's). (I don't mean to offend anybody by that. I honestly don't.)

I thought, "He'll be back at the end of the book." However, I certainly believed that he was going to be gone for a while. To be honest, I kinda missed the Cullens, since the middle of the book kinda lagged without them.

I thought, "Thank God! Someone's coming to rescue her! There's no way she'd be able to find her way home otherwise!" I didn't like feeling that way, though. I didn't like the fact that Bella was filling that antiquated role of damsel in distress.

It actually bothered me a lot. Was she honestly letting her life crash because Edward wasn't there? I'd understand if she was depressed for a few days, but five months is reaaly gratuitous. That's pretty anti-feminist, if you ask me.
This. Also, to add to Number 5, it was quite unhealthy.

I like the rest of the Cullens too. They keep stuff interesting.
I'm an anti here for civil discussion on why Twihards like Twilight. However, if you personally insult me, I see no reason to respect you. You have been warned.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I knew something was off, wrong even. I figured something big was going to happen, but I never imagined he would leave her.

Yes. Not with a significant other, but with friends. It's a horrible feeling.

3. Edward's speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
Um. Well, I figured he must have been lying at some points because it was pretty heavily touched upon in Twilight that Edward would leave in order to make her safe. I thought that that must have been what he was doing, not that I approved of it one bit.

I thought it was weird that he was there, considering he lives in La Push and didnt even know Bella. But i could tell it had something to do with the wolves/tribe.

It was sort of like a slap to the face for me. Like, ok this is really happening, he's not coming back. Very depressing.
flo1190
Settled in Forks

Post by flo1190 »

1.from the second i read the chapter name 'the end' i knew something was going to happen, but i had no idea what. i had a really bad feeling as it grew closer to the forest scene.
but the moment that really made me realise what was happening was when he told bella he didnt want her anymore.
my heart just dropped through my stomach- i literally felt sick.

2. obviously not to the degree of bella's loss, but i have had the experiance with a friendship.
my best friend had been strange for a while, and i could feel it slipping away, and i did everything i could, because i was desperate not to let it go but it wasnt enough. i knew that whatever i did, it would be too late, yet i couldnt stop myself from trying. also like bella, for months afterwards i was depressed. it really hurt me.

3. the whole scene was very surreal, probably because you really dont expect edward to ever leave bella, and yet here he is, leaving her, so there is that sense of 'this cant be happening' but then in your mind you know it really is, and thats a very powerful, overwhelming feeling.
what edward said was very painful and blunt, and it really cut into me, because in them few pages, you ARE bella and you completely feel her pain and her reaction to what hes saying, and i was so lost in that, that i knew he wasnt coming back, and that this really was the end.

4. obviously, at this time we have no idea who sam is, and i was so preocupied by what had just happened that at that point it never crossed my mind to think 'who the hell is this guy'. but i was midly curious as to what the snuffling was, it just seemed so out of place to be random. my gut reaction to sam was that he was going to reappear. because, logically, we have never heard of him before but he makes his first appearance on the most important night of new moon. to me it meant that he wasnt just an ordinary guy. he had been placed in that part, there was a reason why he out of everyone else, found bella that night

5. i was still in complete shock from what had just happened, and the tears were still falling and then i saw 'october'. i thought it was just another section of the chapter, but then i turned the page and saw 'novemeber'.
for some reason i just remember freaking out. i felt sick and really really worried and flipped the pages over faster and faster.
i have no idea why but the way that was set out totally creeped me out
Team Emmett! Stronger than you since 1915.
so the lion fell in love with the lamb
"Alice sees him falling for a human. How classically Edward!"
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I had kinda heard before that Edward wasn't going to be in this book as much, so I had a little bit of an idea. And when he was being all weird after the incident with Jasper, I was like "oh no, it's happening, he's gonna leave her". But at the same time, I still didn't beleive he would really do it.

No not like Bella.

I hated Edward. I actually thought he was the biggest curse word I could think of!! I felt horrible for Bella, when I was reading it, I was stunned. I couldn't believe that he could be so mean to her. I didn't expect him to actually leave, but it was clear that Bella did, and her pain was overwhelming. I swear, I couldn't breathe reading this part of the book.

I had no idea what it meant. I didn't think it was very important. I didn't even think about him being a wolf.

I thought it was excellent writing to do that. It really had an effect on me. I just couldn't beleive it. That so long had went past, and he still wasn't coming back!! I was very very sad for Bella, and furious at Edward.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by rainbowcrayon »

I did, ever since the birthday party at the Cullen's. Although this was the first book of the series I read and thus I had none of the background of Twilight, I understood enough by at least Edward's reaction and then the chapter title "The End" to know something was going to happen.

I have, although being an introvert I usually am not very good at salvaging relationships. However I am much more contained than Bella, or I have never had quite as life-changing or dramatic a relationship as her, and thus my reaction was not really the same on finding the relationship disappearing.

I did, actually. Remember I had no background from Twilight to even vaguely understand the immense attraction or lust (if perhaps love, this is an arguable point) Edward and Bella share mutually. As compared to most books, I was expecting that this was just some high school relationship not destined to last, and could not fully appreciate the damaging, horrific effect until the second time I read the book, by which time the plot had already been revealed. In a way, all Edward acts in New Moon is rather distant to Bella, which for a first time reader is not exactly what one needs to jumpstart the understanding of the life-changing relationship. In a weird way (don't hurt me, please), I sort of expected... and wanted... it to end. Which made it all the more surprising her reaction to his departure, although understanding her character better than his I should have expected it.

I did not have any notion of who he was, but he seemed like an understanding character to comprehend the difference between "Have you been hurt?" and "Are you hurt?". I wondered if he would be a more central character in the novel.

The first time I read the pages, I did not look closely enough to see the words as I thought they were blank and I was flipping past them. I thought the blank pages were misprints in my copy, only a few seconds later I flipped back to find the wondrous amazingness that is the months pages. Although I had no background, although I didn't understand the characters, although I had no notion of the depth of the relationship between Bella and Edward, each of those pages cut me deeply and helped me understand the blankness and passage of time, and how much hurt Bella was experiencing. Looking back, it is probably one of the most amazing literary devices I've ever seen in contemporary (modern?) literature. Effectively communicates the meaning of the space, and at the same time emotionally affects and challenges the reader.

A fabulous chapter overall, extremely well-written, and one of my favorites from New Moon, if not the entire series.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.