Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
obieewok
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Post by obieewok »

Hey peeps. It's Thursday, so that means new VAMPIRE DIARIES, 30 Rock, The Office and also my four year anniversary of being betrothed to the next best thing to Chris Pine or Jackson Rathbone in birthday suits.....my hubs.

Quick sum up: Hubs and I have known each other since I was 18. We were best buds for a long time, going through a divorce (me) and a girlfriend or two (him...duh) but we always kept that pull. My personal Jacob decided to look at me one day and ask "Why the F*** aren't we together?" and since I couldn't respond, we had a circus themed wedding in a mall, a couple of kids and countless dutch oven fights (gross). I'm lucky, and even though most times all you guys see is my very hilarious exterior that short squatty Mexican man makes me all giggly and melty inside.

Ok...enough of that Freddie Prinze Jr movie crap. On to other things:

I totally failed a glucose test on Tuesday, so I have to go back tomorrow and redo it. Boring pregnancy info alert: When you are pregnant, they check you for pregnancy diabetes. You can develop them in pregnancy and it can be a bit of a risk for you and baby if you have them and they don't know it. So basically they give you this super sugary drink (tastes like a flat 7up....like really flat and super duper sweet) and you have to chug it down in three minutes. Then, you wait one hour (ugh) and they prick your finger. Now, I can easily handle shots, blood being drawn, etc---but prick my finger and I cry like a baby. I hate it. It hurts soooooo bad! Anyways, they prick your finger, take your blood sugar, and if you pass, great, you don't have it. If you fail, then they retest. Except it's a THREE HOUR TEST (A THREE HOUR TEST...lol...Think Gilligan's Island Theme Song!) Problems I have with all this: For those of you who don't remember or don't care, etc----I'm a former gastric bypass patient (I was a super fattie, now I'm a normal fattie?) so me and sugar don't mix. When I even eat a small part of a candy bar or something I feel like I'm about to die (it's how they make you skinny lol) so when I drink something like that nasty glucose drink (which is like the equivalent of four cans of dr pepper or something) I start sweating, feeling clammy, faint, etc. They haven't really come out with a better test here, so there's not a bunch I can do but suffer. So tomorrow I'll be dragging my fat butt back to the doctor's office with New Moon and The Lovely Bones in hand to try again. Ugh. :x

Saw Paranormal Activity twice. Was awesome. Still need to see Zombieland.

Fanfic:

Not much new that's worth mentioning. Daedalus in Exile is awesome if you are like Janny and love vampy Eddie. Ithaca is Gorges is almost complete, so people should start it. Started Shadows, seems alright. Jasper fans should be reading the angsty freaking Last Love Lost/Found fics. Just got a bit more interesting. Branded did have a slightly chunkier Bella, but she was like a size 12----I want a Bella that has to catalog order Sh$t lol. I want a Bella whose thighs are constantly causing grassfires and stuff. You know---more like me. (I can't wear courdoroy for that reason lol).

I know I'm old when I seriously don't understand a single thing that those kids say on The Hills.

Currently addicted to some show on Bravo called Million Dollar Listing and one on the travel channel called Man Vs Food.

Starting to paint the nursery this weekend. Alice is kicking a ton---almost though last Saturday I was in early labor, but turns out it was just really stinky gas pains. Pregnancy----ah, so beautiful lol.

Ah---here comes the Ruthicon. She's been a little meaner than usual lately because she's trying to get knocked up and doesn't understand why God allows me, the heathen, to do so and not her. Of course, she's only been trying for like a month, so it's not like she' s put in a real effort yet, but I'm trying to take her comments about my "satan spawn" as she dubs Alice (who kicks like nuts when Ruthicon is within twenty yards) with a grain of something. Something about babies really puts some people in a crabby mood. Oh---today her rant is going to be about Scientology in case you wanted to know. As I type she's explaining to those around her why it's "an abomination of the Holy Spirit" and whatnot. If it's one thing Ruthicon can't stand it's Scientology or things she doesn't get. She boycotts all Tom Cruise and Travolta movies, because she says if you go they are putting subliminal messages in there. Yep----that's EXACTLY what happened in Mission Impossible 3----it was a recruitment for the church lol.

See---this is why Mommy wants a drink Alice.

Obs:)
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

LMAO...I love you Obie!!!

OK and I totally feel for ya about the testing...every time I think about getting knocked up again...I just think of that test...ew! Although, with me they drew my blood...they didnt poke my finger.
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

for my glucose test (which was a 3 hour one to start with) those f'ing leeches drew 1 vile of blood, three times!

For those interested, there's a betting-post for sex and birthday on the pup posted on the Lexily FB page
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

Hello, hello :D

It's exciting that the pups/babies are so close to being due! They are going to be raised in a world full of Twilight - they have no chance they are going to be twihard kids (we need a better names here ;) ).

Rachel- I hate it when costumes look amazing in the pics, but they aren't as good quality in person. I bet it will still look awesome - there is still time for tweaks, even if it just a couple safety pins for better fit. Definitely need pictures.

Speaking of costumes: My plan was to sew my own costume, cute white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, but I don't have time to fix patterns to my measurements. My quick solution: I'm going to be a waitress from Merlotte's (from True Blood). I don't look like any of the characters, so I'm just going go generic - white t-shirt w/ logo (going to use iron on sheets), black pants (b/c that's the winter version), make a green apron, ponytail, and bite marks ;) ... is my obsession showing haha.

New Moon Soundtrack - I'm a little behind commenting, but I just got a chance to listen to it on myspace. I'm not sure how I feel about the entire thing as a soundtrack. I think the songs will fit nicely into the film, especially the downer parts, but as a cd I'll want to listen to in its entirety I'm not sure. I mostly listen to altrenative rock and indie music, so it is all to my liking; however, I prefered Twilight's mix of different music types to New Moon's similar sounds. I love Death Cab and Muse on there and the Meadow is beautiful (more fiting than the Lullaby for Twilight in my opinion) , so I'll probably end up buying it but it won't be the top thing on my "to purchase" list.

Lastly, the weather sucks here. It has rained all week - since saturday. It is now rainy and cold. I live in the south and it is early October, this is completely unacceptable. I know it is rainy season here and I usually love the rain and the cold, but not together like this! No clothes I own are warm enough - my peacoat and sweaters are still too warm and everything else is too thin. Luckily I got my new rainboots, I just have to remember to wear them everyday it looks like rain - even if there are no puddle is the morning. Southern stores do not stock the things needed to stay warm, we are always in denial that it will become fall and winter.

As you can see my life has been very boring, so I'm outs for now♥
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Whoa! For those of you who have given in to their inner tween and become addicted to Vampire Diaries (and are attracted to men, lol): HOLY CROW! Bare-abed Damon :shock: me likey! But I am still team Stephan all the way... can't help but root for the good guy... even if the bad boy might be a little hotter. But seriously, they are both hardcore man-candy. I really liked this episode, lots went down. I am officially hooked! And I LOVED the last song they played, along with tons of other people because it popped right up when I googled "I thought I could fly so why did I drown." Its a song called "Down" by Jason Walker. And totally bought it on iTunes. I need to cut myself off from iTunes... spending too much $$!

Pharmer: The book I was talking about is The Twilight Saga: New Moon--The Official Illustrated Movie Companion (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031607 ... d_i=507846) - I have no idea how to make that a pretty little link...

Ally_Cat: That is an AWESOME costume idea!!! If I hadn't already forked out cash for my Robin Hood get-up I would totally steal your idea! I had thought about being a vampire "victim" and do bite marks but didn't want to go all fang-bangerish and didn't think of a Merlotte's waitress. Pure brilliance!!!

Obie: HaPpY AnNiVeRsArY! :D

Jasmine: Maybe the sickliness didn't translate in the pics then, but you looked fresh and youthful to me...

My rant for the evening is the fact that I cannot get healthy! Just when I think I finally am something else comes along. This time its a ear infection... fun fun. And the doc took a peek up my nose and said it still looked all inflamed and ill so I guess I wasn't quite over my cold from last week. So now I have ear drops to torture myself with along with nasal spray that smells like lillacs... which just weirds me out. I get to do the spray for 2 weeks and if the congestion comes back it mean I actually have allergies. My fingers are crossed that that doesn't happen!
I got sick back in London on the first weekend in July and just have not been 100% healthy since. I am so sick ( :roll: ) of being sick!

Anyways... enough whining from me. Tomorrow is FRIDAY after all :D

EDIT: Ok... more whining... I pre-ordered the New Moon soundtrack and even though I could buy it now it is still listed as coming out on the 20th in my pre-order list in my account!!! What the heck?! I could just cancel it and then repurchase it, but then I would have Satellite Heart twice and end up paying an extra $1.29. I know that's hardly any money but still, its the principle! I got convinced by marketing to pre-order the damned thing and now I don't get to enjoy the early release unless I take the hit and pay just a little extra. Its almost a scam you now? $1.29 isn't a lot of money by a long shot to me at all, but if everyone who pre-ordered it caves and buys it now, Apple is going to make a lot of money! LAME!
Ok... rant over... thanks for listening!

Edit to my edit: Should have read the fine print... pre-ordered items may not be available for download at the same time it's available for purchase. Then what the heck was the point of pre-ordering the darned thing?! :roll: jeez! Lesson learned, won't pre-order again!

I promise I am done now... ;)
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

jasmine wrote:@pharmer everytime i read about diabetes being a progressive disease i get this slap in my face and like someone is squeezing my heart untill it breaks.*shivers* its like i dont want to think about it clearly, or if i try to pretend that it isnt so bad. even though i know it can be bad. maybe im just hoping it wont get any worse than this.
I certainly don't want to make you feel that way. Just remember, while it is progressive, you can alter it's course by finding it early, and keeping your blood sugar levels consistently within the correct range. Does Sid have a blood test every very months called a HbA1C? This test will tell you if your BSL is stable. It was discovered that people testing once or twice a day might have good levels at those times of day, but throughout the night, for instance, it skyrockets. HbA1C tells you if it has been fluctuating or not.

Anyway, medication, exercise, diet. The cornerstones of keeping diabetes complications at bay. Also, metformin - has been known to contribute to liver issues. the benefits he is getting from metformin should be weighed against any potential liver dysfunction. Perhaps a trial without it could determine if the metformin is contributing to the abnormal LFTs.
jasmine wrote:About the dreams, yeah sid is an expert when it comes to explaining them, but im not just an apprentice either. I -know- why i dream them, and also know that these arent my usual dreams. its just...i cant seem to do anything about it. NOrmally i can see why ive dreamt them and understand. But now, the dreams dont make sense, they are just nightmares and lucid dreams, almost like i have a fever and not thinking clearly, and they dont mean anything. Its the cause that gets me thinking about talking about them. because not talking about it, is probably why i get them in the first place...if that makes sense.
I dont really -talk- to people anymore, because some stabbed me in the back, and i just dont trust ppl enough anymore. But it seems to have brought back an old problem of mine. One that almost crippled me but instead made me stronger. seems it has been creeping up on me once again. i hate it when things do that.

I understand where you come from - interpreting your own dreams can be the easiest thing, but the hardest also - it wouldn't be hassling your dreams if you already knew the best way to deal with the situation causing it. I used to dream that I was confronting my father, but I was always in slow motion, so any advantage I might have would be lost. Don't dream like that any more, but if there is something stressing me, it comes back, even though he's dead now.

@Obs - you definatley want to pick up any gestational diabetes earlier - high sugar levels = bigger baby (more energy to use to build them from scratch). So unless you want to walk for a month like you've just spent 9 months riding a horse, you don't want any diabetes. Also, if you get diabetes when pregnant, your chances of developing diabetes when older is higher.

Also, talking of movies - I saw an add today for a movie of Astro Boy. Astro Boy I tellz ya! wooooot! yeah! Astro Boy is the coolest manga there ever was or ever will be, even better than voltron.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

So I got the NM soundtrack today, they were behind the register, and I got two and paid...and suddenly this lady comes running up to the register saying, "Did you give her one of my NM Cds?"
Me and the sales lady just stared at her...and she said, "That whole stack of CDs (the store's entire stock!) is mine!"
I just turned and walked out the doors with my CDs...So, ppl are just buying them all up to sell them on Amazon or something.

I'm listening to it now...some songs I liked right away (Meadow) and some I think will grow in me with time...there is also a poster in it, if youre into that kinda thing :)

I am so friggin ready for the movie!! 1 month and 4days!!!
CappuGirl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by CappuGirl »

The few songs on the soundtrack that I've heard, I didn't like that much. Sounded too much like some songs on Twilight-movie. I think they really failed with the music in that one; you know, to set the mood... I hope New moon is better. Is t here any songs that don't sound like the Equanox-song? Too electric to my taste.
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

roseaurora wrote: Edit to my edit: Should have read the fine print... pre-ordered items may not be available for download at the same time it's available for purchase. Then what the heck was the point of pre-ordering the darned thing?! :roll: jeez! Lesson learned, won't pre-order again!
This happened to me when I pre-ordered the Twilight movie from Amazon...If I would have just bought it, I would have gotten it sooner :(
CappuGirl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by CappuGirl »

:lol: How bad of a FB-addict is one of my friends? She lives in Utsjoki, from where it's hundreds of kilometers to the hospital where she goes to give birth. She's on her way there, in an ambulance; and she updated her FB status with her phone "Going to Rovaniemi". The a friend of her commented "To give birth or just for fun? Maybe we could get together?" and she replied right after "yeah, giving birth. I'm in an ambulance. But this kid probably won't come out anyway. I'll bet it's a false alarm" :lol: