Chapter 33: Forgery

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 33: Forgery

Post by Alphie »

Lady Di graciously helped us out with these questions!

1) “…notice the strange reluctance in his voice when he spoke of Billy, but not enough to worry what that was about” (page 630). This paragraph hints at other things happening in Forks besides the earth-shaking events surrounding Renesmee. Why do you think Meyer includes this paragraph? What do you think is going on between Billy and Charlie?

2) The description of J. Jenks / Jason Scott is very vivid. Every action and word helps to define his character. Compile a list of all the descriptions – which one word best describes the man? Why does this word work best and why is such a minor character described so thoroughly?

3) Bella considers this plan of Alice’s the “last chance” for Nessie if all else fails. Do you agree with Bella’s interpretation? Are there any other choices?
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 33: Forgery

Post by sazykid »

1) “…notice the strange reluctance in his voice when he spoke of Billy, but not enough to worry what that was about” (page 630). This paragraph hints at other things happening in Forks besides the earth-shaking events surrounding Renesmee. Why do you think Meyer includes this paragraph? What do you think is going on between Billy and Charlie?
Maybe Billy is trying to keep his distance from Charlie so he doesn't give anything away about Renesmee and Jake or the vampires.

2) The description of J. Jenks / Jason Scott is very vivid. Every action and word helps to define his character. Compile a list of all the descriptions – which one word best describes the man? Why does this word work best and why is such a minor character described so thoroughly?
I guess criminal would be an accurate word for him. Obviously he has a forgery business, but he is ok with making fake documents for Nessie. I think we had to fully understand the criminal of this man to understand why the Cullens use him for their forgery needs.

3) Bella considers this plan of Alice’s the “last chance” for Nessie if all else fails. Do you agree with Bella’s interpretation? Are there any other choices?
I think Bella is probably right. Nessie isn't really old enough to understand the rules of being a vampire yet and putting her in charlie's care would leave him with too much information and put him in danger. Helping Nessie and Jake get out of the country is really the only thing that can save her if things didn't go according to plan.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

To hint that the human world is ablivous to the vampire world a big thing like the Volturi visting and the humans are clueless and also to hint that there is another love triangle brewing. Because both Billy and Charlie likes Sue so of course he wouldn't want to realy invite Billy over for the lunch Sue is bringing.

Shady..... He has differnt offices for differnt clints to feel comftable doing "bizness" with him even tho nervous as heck he's still sorta kinna comftable with vampires "shaking hands an not saying anything about the feel of it". Described so in our heads you'd think of someone who would work for the Mafia...their "paper guy".

Yes I agree with her Interpretation of J. Jenks. No......You dont bet agians Alice ;)
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) “…notice the strange reluctance in his voice when he spoke of Billy, but not enough to worry what that was about” (page 630). This paragraph hints at other things happening in Forks besides the earth-shaking events surrounding Renesmee. Why do you think Meyer includes this paragraph? What do you think is going on between Billy and Charlie? I think she proabably included it to remind us & Bella that other things are still going on. Obviously something was happening between her father & his best friend.

2) The description of J. Jenks / Jason Scott is very vivid. Every action and word helps to define his character. Compile a list of all the descriptions – which one word best describes the man? Why does this word work best and why is such a minor character described so thoroughly? I would say immoral. Obviously he doesn't care about breaking the law, working with people he knows nothing about, and all because they can pay him a bunch of $$$

3) Bella considers this plan of Alice’s the “last chance” for Nessie if all else fails. Do you agree with Bella’s interpretation? Are there any other choices? I can't really see any choices & so I would agree with her. But I don't think even this plan really would have had a great chance of working. When Jacob would try to leave w/Renesmee they would have been chased by a bunch of Volturi members.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

he's probably reminding bella that there are still people who need to be protected. like charlie.

hmmm....good question. something like a good bad guy. he forges stuff, but he did help bella and nessie, and i cant go aganist that!

i totally agreed and i agree with Hyvanna. you most certainly dont bet aganist alice!
Betting on Alice.
wig4usc
Settled in Forks

Post by wig4usc »

Alphie wrote:Lady Di graciously helped us out with these questions!

I think there's a strain between Billy and Charlie about Sue Clearwater. If you recall, during NM, Billy spends a lot of time with her. Then, in BD, she's with Charlie. That's my take on it!

Shady is the first word I think of...fearful is the second. I think its funny how he's afraid of Jasper and Bella wonders the whole time why. I do think its interesting how much time/effort was spent on this character. I think perhaps its supposed to hint to some of the illegal activity that's necessary when you live forever and have to document yourself.

I certainly agree that this was Alice's plan, to give Bella a contingency to keep Nessie safe. Otherwise, why all the "cloak and dagger"? Why go to all the trouble to keep it from Edward and from Aro? I wasn't so sure the first time reading BD, but after rereading it recently, I absolutely think that was the goal all along.
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

) “…notice the strange reluctance in his voice when he spoke of Billy, but not enough to worry what that was about” (page 630). This paragraph hints at other things happening in Forks besides the earth-shaking events surrounding Renesmee. Why do you think Meyer includes this paragraph? What do you think is going on between Billy and Charlie?
Maybe to make you realize that all of the regular humans still have things that go on besides the major vampire/werewolf events. In the other books when Bella was human too, they would have been a lot bigger events in the story. I'm not really sure what's going on between them, ecspecially now that Billy knows more of whats going on somewhat, I thought it would have brought them closer,.. It seems like every so often Billy and Charlie have a spat.

He is an important part to the battle that's about to happen. He is someone who knows the Cullens and what they might be, but because he does illegal activity and such he is not someone who would really blab. He is almost like a confident, kind of to Jasper because he has let him know things are kind fishy.

Eh, there are choices but Bella said it best. "So that left one person. There really had never been anyone else.". She knows Jacob and Renesmee will end up together eventually and Jacob will always take care of her before himself. It's the best choice if Bella and Edward don't make it.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Billy is probably dealing with the upcoming fight with the Volturi, and Charlie is noticing how preoccupied he is with it.

He seems like a typical lawyer to me. (Honestly, I wasn't paying much attention to J. Jenks' description.)

I agree with her interpretation, and I doubt there would have been other choices.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I thought that Billy and Charlie might be having a fight. I thought it was about Sue!

Probably because he's an interesting character, and his physical state is significant in that he is worrying himself to death, probably due to the illegal nature of some of his work, and because his association with Jasper has freaked him out.

I think that it is an appropriate last chance option. However, I never thought it would come to that.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I thought Billy and Charlie would be having some sort of fight about Sue. I think SM included this, because Bella wants all her family to be happy and this might hint that Charlie would be happy again.

Can't find a word for it, English is not my native language. I think he was so thoroughly described, because even though he has a small part, he has a very important part in the story.

I agree with Bella, I wouldn't see any other option either.