Book Addicts Anonymous

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Book Addicts Anonymous

Post by fanMNM »

virre- ok, I'm even jealous of your "wall of books!" :lol: I have one small bookcase that is overflowing (ok, overflowing may be a huge understatment...LOL) Right now I am in negotiations with my husband to close in our small back porch so I can use that as a mini library. He thinks I am nuts but I think if I keep nagging he might give in :D I've already told him our next house is gonna need to have a spare room for my books!

My biggest lament is that I don't live near a well stocked library. Our library is tiny and gets zero good books!! I'm seriously cutting into our budget with my frequent eBaying! I used to sell my books to make back the money to buy new ones, but what happens when I have a book I want to keep?? Which I often do want to keep them!! Then I am stuck...

Thank you Naureen!!
virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

fanMNM - you just keep at it! i am sure he will crack eventually. ;) And having a special place to gather all your books neat and nice is priceless and worth a little nagging :D I waited 3 years for my brother to move out and relinquish that wall :lol:

My city does not have an impressive library either, wich is sad. but at the moment i have to many books to read her at home as it is :P so it does not bother me that much right now.. ask me again in a month or 2 and i will probably be up the wall with annoyance. :lol:
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I use Shelfari, same concept.
It is nice to go and look at other people's shelves and see what you really did want to read. I tend to forget a lot. Also, it feels really good to move a book over to the "read" spot! :D
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

I am so glad I moved the Washington. All the libraries in the state are interconnected so if I want to read a book from the Forks library or teh Aberdeen library or Tacoma or wherever I just click the book and type in my passcode and a few days later I get a phone call to pick it up from the check otu counter. I don't know what Bella was complaining about.

Since moving here I've read every Orson Scott Card, Donna Jo Naploi, Charles de Lint, K.A. Applegate, and Kurt Vonnegut novel I could never find btu wanted to read.

also try Book Crossings it's a website where people can arrange to trade books with other people or just leave them in random places and post the location of the books.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Having a room of my own, full of books, an armachair and a fireplace would be heaven! Actually, when hubby and I bought our new flat we looked for a three-bedroom one so I could use the third bedroom as a reading/studying room. At the moment a dear friend of ours is living with us and I don't think we'll arrange the room for a couple of years but it's good to know I'll finally have my personal study room. My books are scattered through three different bookshelves in the living room (I'll post a pic soon) and in one of the bedrooms, and some are still in some boxes in the garage....choosing which ones I wanted to keep with me has been pretty hard!

Our local library is well stashed and it's connected to the other libraries in the city so you can have almost all the books you wan. The only fault is that, being an Italian library, it has books in Italian only...and since I prefer to read in the original language I use the library only when the original books are not available or too expensive through amazon and ebay.

Contessa: I've already tried bookcrossing and I must confess I don't like it at all for three main reasons. First, people here tend to bookcross only books which are not woth reading, like cooking recipes or those super-cheap essays on Atlantis or aliens. Second, if you find a book you like you can't keep it and it can be very annoying, especially when it's a very old book that is not published any more. Three, most of the people bookcrossing have no respect for the books so you have to read books which are in the worst condition.

Shelfari: I do have a shelf there but I should update it...my screen name is Dimber or Dimberaidiel (I can't remember right now), as usual :D
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

Openhome - wow, Shelfari looks cool! i am heading to work now so i only got to do a quick tour, but i will definitely make a shelf as soon as i come home :)

blasphemous_contessa - the libraries in my city are interconnected as well, but i have encountered the same problem that dimber mentioned, my librarie mainly focus on books in norwegian, and the english section that i wish to cover half of the librarie is in reality more like 1/8 or something :P my librarie has a bigger music section then a english section :roll: (not that i dont adore the music section to ;) )

I was in the Book Crossings "movment" a couple of year's back and i have to agree with dimber on what she has pointed out.. the books are porly looked after, are usualy not the most interesting (though sometimes you find a goodie! i was introduced to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials through Book Crossing), and it's not fun to give up a book you like (the few times this happend to me i tried to focus on the fact that i was giving another book loving person a chance read this lovely book as well and get the same experience as me.)
I think the concept of book crossing is wonderfull though! if it just worked a little better in reality it would be a wondefull thing.
skinnybones4
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skinnybones4 »

I can't go into a bookstore unless I have money. If I leave the bookstore without something I get a case of depression and headaches :lol:
Talking about the Twilight Saga!
virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

skinnybones4 wrote:I can't go into a bookstore unless I have money. If I leave the bookstore without something I get a case of depression and headaches :lol:

haha, i have kind of the same problem.. just that in my case, the problem is when i go into a bookstore and cant find anything new, then i get sad :P ... or even worse if i find a book that i have been looking for, and it has the wrong cover, or is in paperback, or the wrong language ect... days like that i usualy end up spending the day online trying to find the right version :P
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

hmm...I can honstly say I've never once in my entire life walked into a bookstore and not been able to find something I wanted to buy. I don't think I've ever left a book store without buying something! My problem is always that I want to buy too much! It's a sickness. It doesn't help that I like reading sooo many different genres and different books. Not so hard to find something when you are open to reading almost anything :)

Thank you Naureen!!
virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

my problem is that i dont like to buy books i have not read, it's the same with movies (it's a way to protect myself from filling up my shelfs with stuff i dont like) So when i go in to a bookstore i usually browse through the books that look interesting and then barrow the one's that look promising at the library, and then go back and buy it if i liked it :)
So when i actually buy something at the bookstore its something i have already read 99% of the time.