Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
edwardISmine
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Aro

Post by edwardISmine »

Tegan wrote:My intenet refuses to load my quite button, so...

@edwardISmine: Aro would have only been in his twenties when he was changed, and even then, if an old human was changed into a vampire, I imagine that their skin would have been de-wrinkled due to the rock hardness of vampire skin. Also, Aro's features are described as being perfect, remember?

Well I guess I didn't put into account how vamps look perfect. With all the talk of Aro's skin being all delicate and translucent, I saw him as being old and frail....and with that I just imagined an old man. well regardless, he looks like Aro to me
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I think Aro is a wonderfully well-rounded antagonist. He is evil but he's also a lot of fun. He's definitely not your typical "I want to rule the world and that's all there is to me" kind of bad guy. I would love to find out more about his human life, who changed him, more details about how he and the Volturi came to power, and how he ended up with his mate.

I think the reason the wives are kept locked up in the tower and why they were under so much protection in BD has a lot to do with Didyme's death. I've come to think that's it's all part of Aro's plan to hide the fact that he killed Didyme. In response to her death, he has this overwhelming surge of over-protectiveness towards the two remaining wives, thus removing any suspicion of his own involvement. Those are just my thoughts anyway.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

Destani wrote:I think the reason the wives are kept locked up in the tower and why they were under so much protection in BD has a lot to do with Didyme's death. I've come to think that's it's all part of Aro's plan to hide the fact that he killed Didyme. In response to her death, he has this overwhelming surge of over-protectiveness towards the two remaining wives, thus removing any suspicion of his own involvement. Those are just my thoughts anyway.
That was one of the theories prior to BD's release--that their detachment from daily occurrences had to do with fear of losing them. Of corse, sans Aro's involvement. Still, I wonder at how they could have agreed to be separated from everything. Either both are incredibly submissive or someone's manipulating them to be that way.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

Aro has such a dominant personality and likes to be in control so I would think he'd naturally be more attracted to a submissive mate. But submissiveness doesn't usually go to that extreme without a little help. It makes me wonder if Sulpicia and Athenodora fear their mates.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I agree. Aro was one of my favorite characters. Not so much that I liked him, in fact I truly disliked him from the very beginning, but he was so mysterious and so hidden. On the outside he seemed polite and nice. But there was always something creepy about him. Then in BD I completely disliked him. To learn that he would kill a whole coven just to acquire one vampire, and to make up some excuse that they had done something wrong when in fact they hadn't. I too thought he was an old man. I assume it's the way SM described him, the whole frailness and his eyes being filmed over. I guess that could be due to time and not age. I still think that there is a lot more to Aro and I agree his backstory would be pretty amazing.

About the wives, I'm sure they would have looked for people who were submissive in their human life. At the same time though, they have no need to ever leave. They live with the most powerful vampire men, there food is brought to them, and they are safe there. I'm sure after years of living that way that they feel no need to leave.
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

The reason for Aro's skin is a form of petrification due to lack of movement. As the Guard does everything, they have little they need to do, their movements slow and their skin begins to change. It started happening to the Romanian coven before they were overthrown.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Yeah, it made sense when it was explained but the first time Bella meets them and all SM does is describe it, I got the wrong impression of Aro's age based on just the description
AliceLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AliceLove »

vampirenerd wrote:I agree. Aro was one of my favorite characters. Not so much that I liked him, in fact I truly disliked him from the very beginning, but he was so mysterious and so hidden.
I completely agree. It's not quite the "i like him, he's nice" it's more of the "wow, i like him cause he's so intriguing and controlling". it's like he's the president of vampires (haha), but there's a certain majesty to him.

Thanks ilovetwilight!
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Ooh, life! ^^
This is going to make my replies harder o.O
*glares at invisible quote button*

@Alycone (1): I was thinking of the fact that he had been a vampire for fifteen years when he changed his sister, who had just reached adulthood at the time...
Gah, I'm too tired to think out the logic, as I was last night. You're probably right :P

@Alycone (2): Yes, but I don't think that Aro and Caius would have chosen them as their mates unless they had some quality about them that stood out. Neither Sulpicia nor Athenodora possesses a power, therefore they must hold some other mannerism that makes them stand out amongst vampires. It doesn't seem like Aro or Caius to take any ordinary vampire as a mate.

@edwardISmine: Maybe his old fashioned way of speaking? I hate to imagine what you must think of Edward...or not. 'Tis quite amusing :D
Oh, and what Alycone said about the skin :P

@Destani: I'm hoping that Stephenie will devote at least some of the Twilight Saga guide to the Volturi. Having a book written on them would be preferable, but I'm not going to quibble.

@Alycone (3): I can't think of anyone in the guard with the power to keep the wives locked in a tower without so much as a struggle. Well, I suppose Alec could, but he doesn't, obviously.
Throughout the discussion between the Cullens (and whoever else) and the Volturi, the wives stood to the side willingly. The former is possible.

@Destani (2): And that's a valid point too :P

@vampirenerd: True too, but I don't think that Aro and Caius would have gone "looking" for mates. They've met a LOT of vampires throughout their line of work.

@AliceLove: King sounds better :P
3 kings sharing the throne ^^

That was fun XD
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

Alcyone wrote:
Destani wrote:I think the reason the wives are kept locked up in the tower and why they were under so much protection in BD has a lot to do with Didyme's death. I've come to think that's it's all part of Aro's plan to hide the fact that he killed Didyme. In response to her death, he has this overwhelming surge of over-protectiveness towards the two remaining wives, thus removing any suspicion of his own involvement. Those are just my thoughts anyway.
That was one of the theories prior to BD's release--that their detachment from daily occurrences had to do with fear of losing them. Of corse, sans Aro's involvement. Still, I wonder at how they could have agreed to be separated from everything. Either both are incredibly submissive or someone's manipulating them to be that way.
i agree with you there. some ways i can't beleive that aro would do that to his own sister, but then i think "its aro, he wants it all" and it makes sense. i would have thought that Chelsea was manipulating them because she does it to every one else, because i have a hard time imagining vampires as submissive
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward