Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
zeri95
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by zeri95 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I didn't even think about her getting hurt. I was wondering what Edward was talking about and I was kinda worried when she 'said' her bones felt detached. I had no idea what she meant by that.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
Yeah maybe he overreacted just a little bit but then again he never really thought it was a good idea but he talked himself into it by thinking he wouldn't hurt her and he did so he was pretty devastated. lol. feathers. he bit a pillow. or two. *snicker*

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I cracked up when I read that. I suppose it is since, you know, people don't normally give islands as presents...who knows what else Carlisle bought for Esme? And I guess Edward saw that it made Esme happy so he was like "I should shower Bella with gifts to show how much I love her because Carlisle did it for Esme and they're the happiest couple I've ever seen."

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I totally didn't expect the crying scene and I most definitely didn't expect Edward to break that promise. Even though we all know he wanted too...I loved his plan though: "Tire her out so she won't press the issue" and all that.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
i had no clue!! i mean, this is bella were talking about! anything is possible!! :roll: :lol:

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
i do think he should apologize but then get over it to make bella happy!! duh! i was really mad at him in this scence. :!:

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
it can be useful, annoying, and awesome..... it depends on the situation. and there have been many!!

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
i thought bella would force him into it....what a good guesser i am!! :lol:
Betting on Alice.
jacobblacksgirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Riding motocycles with Jacob........Cliff diving with Jacob, Embry, Quil, and Sam

Post by jacobblacksgirl »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? The out come that I that would happen is that Bella would have been really hurt, but what she got was all brusied up and that shouldn't have happened that way but it did.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” Np, he should not be souring Bella's mood. It was going to happen regardless even if he wasn't careful. Besides its their special day they should have been enjoying it and not worrying about Bella.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think he's generious because of how he was raised. Edward has two loving parents and i think thats who he got it from. I think thats its good that he was being generious to Bella he didn't have be but he was because that's who he is.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? No, I think that edward has a point, the only reason he wanted to till Bella was change is so that he doesn't hurt her like he did the first time. Edward is not faltered and besides its his choice. I don't think that Edward like the fact they we was hurting Bella while they were makeing love
I got my werewolf boy.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I really love this chapter....I can read it 20 times and still like it.

1. I didn't know what to think at first...I had the feeling that edward would be more difficult about the whole sex thing but I always expected that bella would be fine...

2. Edwards reaction I found a bit childish... I know he has difficulty accepting he can't bella but to think she is lying... :|

3. Generosity is something you can learn but a don't think thats the case with edward... I think he would do anything for Bella and stating that money isn't an issue he would give her anything to make her happy...

4. HAHA I knew Bella would keep her ground, and I also expected Edward to gave in the moment Bella pulled of the pleading thing... She should have known sooner that that would be the key... ;)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
bloodlust angeles
Settled in Forks

Post by bloodlust angeles »

actually I thought they would try the way they do everytime and things would get more and more dangerous for Bella that would cause Edward to stop.......back to the impossiblity of havin' sex without hurting her, i really didn't see this comming
mmmmm should he feel guilty about it??? YES..... was he justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood???? NO especially when she woke up so happy like that.... but to be honest we don't know what really happened???? did he realize he was hurting her during or after ...???? only stephenie knows
well i guess it's part of his personality plus what he learned from Carlisle...... we all know he loved Bella so much that he couldn't resist givin' her everything she wants.........
I knew he would try so hard.... her safty was first for him
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I didn't think that she would get hurt. I was 100% positive that Edward wouldn't hurt her. I know she got covered in bruises etc, but like she said, she wasn't in pain, she enjoyed herself. To be honest I'm pretty surprised that Edward actually did agree to sleep with her, but I'm glad he did.

Edward's reaction both annoyed me and made me laugh out loud a lot!! "why am I covered in feathers?" "I bit a pillow." :lol: However, it annoyed me a little that he just wouldn't believe Bella that she wasn't in pain. Although I understand why he wouldn't believe her, and why he said he didn't want to sleep with her any more. Tho if I were Bella, I think I would have shouted at him a whole lot more for ruining her mood!

Yeah I suppose it is. Carisle etc is generous (eg. giving an island as a gift!) and so Edward may have learned to be generous from his father. However I think it is just the way Edward is, he is very "old fashioned", and giving gifts is his way of saying "I love you a million and I want to show you how much". I think it is very sweet.

No not really. Once Edward makes up his mind, I think there is very little anyone can do to change it! Tho I expected Bella to really try and change his mind!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
married twilighter30
Settled in Forks

Post by married twilighter30 »

1. honestly I did not think bella was going to come out of the sex scene still human.

2. not I do not think he was justified. He messed up her high and he should of been able to read her face and tell how incrediably happy she was.

3. Yeah I think it is but you also have have to think that edward will do anything to make bella happy.

4. YES, I knew bella in the end would get her way but I did not think the outcome of her getting pregnant was a possiblity.
browneyedgirl25
Settled in Forks

Post by browneyedgirl25 »

i have a really random question about this chapter & i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it but i can't think of another thread that would be...

i was just looking at the chapter summaries/character bios on the lexicon site for the first time and i have a question about one thing. this is part of edward's bio:

"As a surprise for Bella, Edward took her on a honeymoon to a private island that Carlisle had purchased for Esme years before. They made love that evening for the first time in the water, and Edward spent the night disgusted with himself for bruising Bella. "

did they really make love in the water for the first time? i know the scene leaves off with them in the water but for some reason i always pictured it as ending up in the bedroom! haha pretty random to want to know this, but now i am curious!
"I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever."

"Now you know. No one's ever loved anyone as much as I love you."
twilight_luva_4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by twilight_luva_4eva »

I wasn't sure what would happen! But after all the preparing I didn't think she would get hurt too much! I mean she was so happy after it! She didn't even realise she was bruised!

I think he was a bit hard on himself. I was just as confused as Bella was by the way he acted after it. He sorta turned Bella's happiness into guilt and made her feel bad.

I think it is because of how much he loves Bella. He HAS been learning for over a century now lol

Actually, I didn't think he would! Usually when he promises something to HIMSELF he keeps it, confirms it. But Bella did convince him good!
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?[/quote]

I choose to answer the above with one statement: this was the first chapter where Edward's character changed for me.
He was always a caring individual, but he became a whiny, overly frightened wimp! Come on! I would think that he would have "bruised" her before in their many "nights" together leading up to the consumation of their marraige - this couldn't have been a surprise. This chapter was disappointing - I could understand the broken headboard / feathers and him saying he had to bite something, therefore he wouldn't touch her until she was changed.