Book Addicts Anonymous

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Book Addicts Anonymous

Post by fanMNM »

virre- I wish I had your self-control. I see a pretty new cover that looks interesting and I have to buy the book :) Waiting to buy something until after you've read it is probably a good way to save money. My problem is I read books that turn out to be in a series and then I just have to have the next one and since my library is limited in what it carries...I always end up buying it because I don't want to wait the 6 months it'll take for the library to get the book.

Thank you Naureen!!
carranzaya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: My personal and beautiful Universe where Edward and Ian exist!!!

Post by carranzaya »

Book Addicts friends: it is worthy to read Sookie Stackhouse series? cause am thinking buying the first 8 books, a friend of mine is going to come to managua - Nicaragua (where i live)this december and is willing to do me the favor (he lives in San Francisco) i was thinking buying it at amazon cause has the free super saving ship for the most known series and betsellers, but i would like to know if they are worthy to read, and you are experts, so you must have heard if they are good or not.

Also i would like to buy the firts 3 of Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series, have any of you read those?

Hope you can help me with your POVs.
Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.
"You are the most important thing to me ever"
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books! It really is a matter of opinion though. Everyone can tell you they loved them and you still might not enjoy them...but I would recommend them! I've passed my books on to several coworkers and family members and they all liked them as much as I did!

Thank you Naureen!!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I definitely agree with FanMNM: they're amazing as long as you like the genre. They're different from the Twilight Saga, a lot different...let's say they're for an older audience than the usual YA, at least in my opinion, because of the sexual and violent content. I suggest that you read some pages available here and there on the net, maybe on the author's page itself.

Regarding Amazon, as far as I know, the free super shipping applies only to US or to UK for Amazon.uk.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

I have Shelfari now! :D add me if you do to! have not added that many books yet, but it is coming along as i have the time :)

carranzaya: I have not read the Stackhouse books yet either, but 3 of my friends have and they all loved it :) so i guess it's worth the read :)
♥midnight_sun♥
Riding in the Rabbit

Post by ♥midnight_sun♥ »

I think I definitely belong here. I have a bookshelf entirely full of books and am getting ready to buy another bookshelf because I have so many. I also try to get two copies of my favorites and if there is a special collector's edition of a book I really like I always try to get it. Yesterday I asked for some money to get the Special Collector's Edition of New Moon that just came out - its really cool with all the extra stuff (plus its pre-autographed). And then I asked for money again today so I could go get The Host since I for some reason never bought it. Its rather embarrassing because there are books I have that my local library doesn't even carry. :oops: Although, I don't read books as much as I used to 1) because I have recently read through most of them and 2) I am addicted to Twifics so I have less time to read actual books.
Fan Fiction Addict•The Halfway House and Brute Squad Member•Banner/Signature OCD
Team Edward•JazzGirl's Official MiniMe•Cullenist•Keeper of the Names•Hatter Obsessed
carranzaya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: My personal and beautiful Universe where Edward and Ian exist!!!

Post by carranzaya »

Hi to everyone!

I'm deeply grateful to FanMNM, Dimber and Virre for their help, it was what i really need to know before buy it. Thanks so much to have time to answer my doubts,it was pretty nice and kind of each of you.

Regarding Free Super Shipping, i know it only apply to US or UK, that is why a relative is going to make me the favor to bring them to me when he come on holidays here this christmas.

Again thanks to everyone, i knew i count with your advise.

P.S. What about these books: The Girl who played with fire and The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, have someone read these? Are they as good as literature critics have said?

Hope to hear from you soon, Yadira.
"You are the most important thing to me ever"
virre
Completely Dazzled!

Post by virre »

carranzaya wrote: P.S. What about these books: The Girl who played with fire and The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, have someone read these? Are they as good as literature critics have said?

The Stieg Larsson, Millennium Trilogy is amazing! I have read them like 3 times :D And if you like crime novels i think that you will enjoy those books very much! I have recommended them to many friends (one of who never liked reading books, but started after enjoying the Larsson books so much!) The only bad response i have had was from my mother who thought it was a bit boring in the start, she almost gave up, but she admitted to being very grateful that she stuck with it!
dragon620026
Settled in Forks

Post by dragon620026 »

Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I am currently trying to find a book as a present for my boyfriend but I have no idea what I could get him. The type of books he reads for fun are:

War and Peace
Prodigal Mage
Angels and Demons
The Lost Symbol
The Alchemist

Then he also mentioned that he likes historical fiction. Sadly, I don't read as much as I would like but it sounds like you guys know your books. So I want it to be a surprise birthday present so any help is appreciated.

Feel free to pm if you like,
Thank you ^^

As for me, I reallt like the house of night series ^^
.:Saga the Twilight Pony:.
Currently On Ebay 11/07/09 - 11/14/09
Search at eBay for "Saga the Twilight Pony" or "150387073926"
NYCBella
Settled in Forks

Post by NYCBella »

I am a complete book fiend but since the beginning of this school year I have been SO jam packed with work it took me 2 MONTHS to read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' a book that normally would have taken maybe 3 or 4 days, at most, took 2 months. :(
I'm extremly upset especially since I don't have time to read the books I:
A. Want or
B. Need to to prepare for SATs and AP tests I'll be taking . . .

Any ideas what I could do? And maybe any suggestions, I really will read any genre except I don't like aliens, that's the only thing -'The Host' is the only alien I can stand.

I'm currently re-reading "The Lovely Bones" before the movie comes out.

I recommend, for anyone looking for good books that will catch their attention quickly:
1. Need - Carrie Jones = fairies. Need I say more?
2. Bliss - Lauren Myracle = author of TTYL series and this is the complete opposite, a good book for those who love very creepy stories because let me tell you this did scare me many times and had to be put down because I literally got chills.
3. Sookie Stackhouse Series - Charlaine Harris = Vamps, vamps and more vamps
4. Marked - P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast = again vamps but not the usual kind