Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
CastMeNotAway
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: I've Seen New Moon! (Spoiler Alert)

Post by CastMeNotAway »

I know I'm a little late on this, but...

Words cannot describe how much I love this movie <3 It's WORLDS better than Twilight... WOW!

I've seen it 7 times so far, and I'm hoping to at least get to 10 by Christmas time (I saw Twilight in theaters 14 times total... yeah, I'm kinda crazy :lol:)

The fact that I've been Team Jacob since fall of 2006 probably made me biased, but I was SO blown away by Taylor in this movie. I feel like he really embodied the character so amazingly well (not to mention he's gorgeous ;) ) That kid is talented. The scene with him and Bella in the rain and the scene in Bella's bedroom were two of my favorite parts of the movie!

I feel like Rob and Kristen both really stepped up their game too. I think they've had enough time now that they really "know" the characters, and it definately came across in both performances. The break-up scene made me so sad :( Great job by both of them! And the reunion in Italy just made me MELT!

Oh, and I must say that I have a newfound love for Charlie after seeing this movie so many times. How awesome is Billy Burke in this role?! He plays such a great father figure!

Bravo to Chris Weitz... he did an AMAZING job bringing the story to the screen! And the cinematography was really awesome too! Ooh! And the special effects! Love those wolves! <3

And the soundtrack & score too!

:lol: Hahahaha I could go on and on about all the things I love about this movie.

The only downside is that it's setting my expectations REALLY high for Eclipse. It was my favorite book in the series, and I'm really hoping David Slade can do as well as Chris Weitz did with New Moon!
Sig by me, icon by wwonder at LJ ~ 9/11/07 & 11/15/08 <3 ~ Official "Innocent Bystander" of the Robnapping Crew!
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Ok. I've saw New Moon for the second time over break and I just wanted to say a few more things about it.

First off, I also really loved KStew in this movie, but I didn't really dislike her in Twilight. I feel like she did a good job for what the movie was, but most of my issues with Twilight come from the script, and the special effects.

I want to respond to a few comments, but I don't remember who made which ones, so I'm just going to generalize.

Someone mentioned Charlie's response to Bella when she got back from Italy being anti-climatic... I disagree. The whole movie seems to start the build up of Bella and her dad's relationship, I think better even than the book did. Him coming in to check on her when she is screaming in her sleep is much more touching when viewing it on screen, and I think the last time he comes in (after she had been seeing Jake a bit) I think that makes up for the long talk after she gets back from saving Edward. You can already tell that he doesn't much like her and Edward together, and it is clear that he thinks she should be with Jacob. The scene in the movie did a good job of summarizing the fact that he was really mad at Bella, but mostly that he was just scared and concerned about her, without dragging it out.

The eyes: Many people have commented on this, and I agree that they were much better than Twilight. They were a little too bright, but I think that could be because it is hard to get something like that across in a movie without making it a little obvious. Eyes are very small and not the easiest thing to see on a movie screen... and then most people don't pay that much attention to little details like that. What color are Voldomort's eyes? Dumbledore's? What about Cameron Diez, or Owen Wilson's? Unless you make effects like that pretty big, it might get lost on a lot of people. Not to say that I liked them, because as a Twifan I was looking for that stuff and they were over the top for me. But I can understand why they might have been that way.

I thought the wolf pack guys, other than Jacob and maybe Sam, were terrible actors. Maybe that's a but harsh, but I felt like I was listening to them reading lines... and it did bug me both times I saw the movie. I guess they weren't really terrible, but they were just so-so to me. Minimal parts I guess, so no big deal.

The ending to me was a little rushed and abrupt, but I liked it. It made me excited for June to be here so I can see Eclipse. I'm going to miss Chris....

The montage that was meant to show the development of Bella and Jake's relationship was well done, but I wish they would have shown them doing homework... especially since they put a line in where KStew actually said "we need to fit some homework in sometimes" or something like that. And I wish they would have incorporated the walks on the beach, and the fallen tree, which they kind of touched on after the Paul vs Jake fight, but it could have been better imo.

Well there is more but I have to head to class. Overall I am more than ecstatic with the movie! So great!
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
CastMeNotAway
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by CastMeNotAway »

I know I JUST posted above, but I had to comment on something the person below me said ;)
Heart_in_Hand wrote: I thought the wolf pack guys, other than Jacob and maybe Sam, were terrible actors. Maybe that's a but harsh, but I felt like I was listening to them reading lines... and it did bug me both times I saw the movie. I guess they weren't really terrible, but they were just so-so to me. Minimal parts I guess, so no big deal.
I TOTALLY agree with you on this one! Taylor was amazing, obviously, and I thought the guy playing Sam was decent... but the others... :?

Oh, and the guy who played Alec too. He only had one line, but it was pretty awful... I feel bad making fun of people, but my friend made me DIE laughing because when he says to Jane "such a clever girl" my friend leans over and whispers "such a bad actor" in the same monotone that he used. :lol:

Maybe they'll be able to step it up for Eclipse/Breaking Dawn (assuming they're gonna make a BD movie)? I'm really hoping the people they got for Seth and Leah do a better job!
Sig by me, icon by wwonder at LJ ~ 9/11/07 & 11/15/08 <3 ~ Official "Innocent Bystander" of the Robnapping Crew!
Swan
Settled in Forks

Geez the critics

Post by Swan »

Man, you know what they say about opinions.

All this bashing of Kristen's acting... Who is making the millions? Oh yeah, not you. I think she's incredible. She played the awkward new girl in Twilight excellently. Then she went from the blissful girl in love to the depressed, lost person incredibly in New Moon. She can cry. How many of her other projects have you seen? Did you see her in The Messengers? She had a melt-down in that movie and did a great job. I did get pissed that in both movies when she screams "No Edward! Don't!" they cut it out. It's in the both trailers though. She can act.

Charlie was great! He's not supposed to be this super dad full of emotions. He's been a bachelor all his life and he's not used to having a kid around much, especially a teenage girl. He is SUPPOSED to be awkward and confused. What were you expecting? Some deep dialogue from the police chief?

I could give a rat's patooty about the color of the freaking Volvo. Don't apologize, Chris. You did a great job! Crap, I wouldn't care if Edward drove a pink Focus as long as Chris got to direct the movie.
At midday we stumble as if it were twilight; among the strong, we are like the dead. Isaiah 59:10

Then Jonathan said to David: "Tomorrow is the New Moon festival." 1 Samuel 20:18

Its kingdom fell into sudden eclipse. Rev. 16:10
Heart_in_Hand

Re: Geez the critics

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Swan wrote:Man, you know what they say about opinions.

All this bashing of Kristen's acting... Who is making the millions? Oh yeah, not you. I think she's incredible. She played the awkward new girl in Twilight excellently. Then she went from the blissful girl in love to the depressed, lost person incredibly in New Moon. She can cry. How many of her other projects have you seen? Did you see her in The Messengers? She had a melt-down in that movie and did a great job. I did get pissed that in both movies when she screams "No Edward! Don't!" they cut it out. It's in the both trailers though. She can act.

Charlie was great! He's not supposed to be this super dad full of emotions. He's been a bachelor all his life and he's not used to having a kid around much, especially a teenage girl. He is SUPPOSED to be awkward and confused. What were you expecting? Some deep dialogue from the police chief?

I could give a rat's patooty about the color of the freaking Volvo. Don't apologize, Chris. You did a great job! Crap, I wouldn't care if Edward drove a pink Focus as long as Chris got to direct the movie.

Um.... who are you talking too? I'm pretty sure it's not me, as I don't think I said anything bad about KStew or Billy... or the car for that matter. In any case, while it's all fine and good for you to disagree with another person, it would be nice if you would quote the person you are disputing, or at least clarify who your borderline insulting post is going to be addressing.

I would also like to point out that, no, I don't think most people expected a deep, emotional speech from Charlie. What I do think people might have expected is some of the dialogue from the book. There was a very lovely confrontation between Bella and her dad in which Bella solidifies the fact that her and Edward are "kinda a package deal", so her dad should just get used to it. The movie failed to broach during this moment that Bella could go live with a house full of vampires if she had to, and she would be willing to do so if her dad would not accept Edward. I do think that's a big deal, and would have said a lot about both Bella's character and her relationship with Edward had it been included in the movie version of Charlie's discussion with his daughter.
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
swedishskinjer

Post by swedishskinjer »

CastMeNotAway wrote:I know I JUST posted above, but I had to comment on something the person below me said ;)
Heart_in_Hand wrote: I thought the wolf pack guys, other than Jacob and maybe Sam, were terrible actors. Maybe that's a but harsh, but I felt like I was listening to them reading lines... and it did bug me both times I saw the movie. I guess they weren't really terrible, but they were just so-so to me. Minimal parts I guess, so no big deal.
I TOTALLY agree with you on this one! Taylor was amazing, obviously, and I thought the guy playing Sam was decent... but the others... :?

Oh, and the guy who played Alec too. He only had one line, but it was pretty awful... I feel bad making fun of people, but my friend made me DIE laughing because when he says to Jane "such a clever girl" my friend leans over and whispers "such a bad actor" in the same monotone that he used. :lol:

Maybe they'll be able to step it up for Eclipse/Breaking Dawn (assuming they're gonna make a BD movie)? I'm really hoping the people they got for Seth and Leah do a better job!
It's difficult to judge acting on the basis of one line. Alec was portrayed by Cameron Bright, who is a fantastic child actor. That's the question: how do you play a character with one line? I simply can't judge the strength of someone's acting if they only utter one line and appear for roughly one minute in the entire movie. His voice was sufficiently creepy for Alec, so he did his job well, considering that he wasn't given much.

I wouldn't call Cameron a bad actor, though. He was terrific in Thank You for Smoking.

EDIT: I absolutely adored New Moon, but I agree that the ending was slightly rushed, particularly with the voting scene. Thankfully, Chris said that the DVD (which should be released near March of next year) will have a considerable amount of deleted scenes for our viewing pleasure, so that may remedy certain pacing issues.
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

I've Seen New Moon! (Spoiler Alert)

Post by rainbowcrayon »

I would agree with most of this thread. I do not particularly care for the acting of most of the characters, with the exception of Jacob, and perhaps Charlie (he did make me laugh). I would also agree that we should give Alec another chance, after all he did only have one line in which to prove himself, which is really not enough to create the elaborate character I suppose we expected. I was surprised scrolling down that some people have seen the movie so many times. I went twice. I don't really memorize the movie or whatever it is until it comes out on DVD.
swedishskinjer wrote:I absolutely adored New Moon, but I agree that the ending was slightly rushed, particularly with the voting scene. Thankfully, Chris said that the DVD (which should be released near March of next year) will have a considerable amount of deleted scenes for our viewing pleasure, so that may remedy certain pacing issues.
I did think it was a bit rushed as well, and I was disappointed that it did not leave off where the book did, as contrary to apparently many, I actually liked the ending of the book. I was unhappy for Jacob, of course, but it seemed like the best place with a decent amount of closure and enough to string along to another book (Eclipse).
So, I would have been happy if the movie had ended about two minutes earlier. But as I said, I did see it twice.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Alison wrote:Strip away everything, and you have one of the most beautiful tragic love stories ever. I think I noticed this most during the Volturi scene when Aro asks Edward how he can even stand next to Bella, and he answers, "It's not without difficulty." It is a simple line, but there is so much subtext to it.
Yep I totally agree with you. It bugs me when people slate it for being this that and the next thing, and escpecially for being a "rubbish" vampire film. But I never think of it like that, like a vampire movie; I think of it as a love story. A unbelievably awesome love story.

Miko Kikyou wrote:Edit: One more thing... Basically, Alice and Edward are the two strongest weapons the Cullens have because of their abilities.
Why did they lose so easily in the Volturi tower? They cannot do anything about Jane, but they could have dodged at least some of the attacks.
Yep I agree with what Caryn said before me. Edward and Alice knew that they could not win the fight. And they knew that if they started something, they would die, which is why they don't go in looking for a fight. But when Edward saw that there was no real hope of them getting out alive, he had [/i ]to try at least. He had to do everything he could to try and save Bella.

swedishskinjer wrote:Yep. I completely forgot about that line from Alice ("You're a human who knows entirely too much about vampires. They could kill us all.) My guess is that it will be on the DVD as a deleted scene extension.

Having seen the extended Volturi BTS that was shown in Italy, I also know that they cut some Volturi lines, too:

Aro - "And surely you see her potential?"

Jane - "You're letting them...go?"

Those lines should be in the DVD.

Can't. Wait. Until. The. Dvd. *explodes*
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

It would have been great if the DVD was released just before Christmas as would make a perfect gift for so many... Did someone say it is due to be released in March next year?
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Funkidiva~ We don't have the specific date yet. The late February/early March date is speculation based on Twilights timeline. But, I would be ALLLLLLLLLLLL for it for Christmas!!!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS