Illegal Activities

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby Amivera » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:08 am

skylarblue wrote:I believe that Carlisle wouldn't allow anyone in the family to do anything illegal for one's own personal gain or enjoyment.


You don't think driving dangerously over the speed limit is for one's personal gain or enjoyment? I'm sure they're just rushing off to cure cancer and put their miserably long lives to good use. Am I right, or am I right? :roll:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby skylarblue » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:16 am

Amivera wrote:
You don't think driving dangerously over the speed limit is for one's personal gain or enjoyment? I'm sure they're just rushing off to cure cancer and put their miserably long lives to good use. Am I right, or am I right? :roll:


I didn't mean it like that. Their driving fast doesn't really affect anyone because their reactions are faster then a humans, so if there was the possibility of an accident then they could react fast enough to stop it. For example when Bella was going to be crushed by Tyler's truck.

I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.
Image
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
User avatar
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry
 
Posts: 3251
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:21 pm
Location: LOST on an island with Emmett! :P

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby Amivera » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 pm

skylarblue wrote:I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.


Perhaps their driving fast couldn't hurt anyone, but that all depends. Rosalie has no special powers. She can't see the future, read minds, or feel anger from other drivers. Whether or not one has fast reflexes, I don't believe they should be allowed to break the law just because they THINK they won't hurt anyone.

Sure, they're vampires, but how quickly can they really react? If a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into the side of Rosalie's convertible, that other driver is going to die, because she's driving so quickly and dangerously.

Drunks think they can drive. They think "I'm not *that* drunk. I can still control this car", and we've all heard about what happens then.

:)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby twigal » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, but Edward said vampires have a lot better reflexes than humans so it's not like they're going to get into a crash.
I'm just going to waste time wandering through town until something Twilight-related comes by.
twigal
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby Davrick » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Amivera wrote:
skylarblue wrote:I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.


Perhaps their driving fast couldn't hurt anyone, but that all depends. Rosalie has no special powers. She can't see the future, read minds, or feel anger from other drivers. Whether or not one has fast reflexes, I don't believe they should be allowed to break the law just because they THINK they won't hurt anyone.

Sure, they're vampires, but how quickly can they really react? If a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into the side of Rosalie's convertible, that other driver is going to die, because she's driving so quickly and dangerously.

Drunks think they can drive. They think "I'm not *that* drunk. I can still control this car", and we've all heard about what happens then.

:)



Think about how they view the world and their concept of time, how much they can take in. A mortal catching a vampire off guard or unaware seems pretty impossible with how much they can process even at the peripheral. Edward has the advantage since he knows where everyone is(except Bella, but he never takes his eyes of her anyways), but I don't think the others would be too affected by not knowing.
Davrick
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby Amivera » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:21 pm

I disagree.

As I said before, you can't be completely sure that they'd be able to save themselves and others. What's their need for rushing, anyway? They have all the time in the world— literally.
There's no reason for them to drive fast— illegally — just because they have a 'need for speed'.

Drunk drivers think they won't hurt anyone. They think they're capable.
Vampires think they won't hurt anyone. They think they're capable.

You could make an argument for a difference, but there are always risks.
The Cullens do not *need* to drive at 110MPH, they just do. It is against the law. It is illegal. It is unnecessary.

Of course, it's all got to do with the way you look at things. I don't like car crashes. :D
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby Shakespeare » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:48 pm

In some ways the Cullens could be considered the "bad" vampires. Think about it--as harsh as the sounds, the normal vampires are just obeying the laws of nature. Humans are their food source. Only humans consider humans to be above other animals. As superior beings, the vampires just see us as food.

The Cullens, on the other hand, break laws and, with the exception of Carlisle, do absolutely nothing to aid society. They just take up space. I can understand their need to forge papers since it is essential for their survival, but I do not think they should be frivolously breaking the law. Alice predicting the stock market is especially disturbing. That is basically stealing. The only reason the stock market works is because people take risks when they invest. By eliminating the risk, the Cullens are indirectly stealing from people who need the money even more. As for driving fast, I agree with everything Amivera said. There is also the matter of them hunting animals out of season. Their loopholes in the law don't change the fact that there is a reason for restricting the hunting. I also find it improbable that no one notices the decrease in bears.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
User avatar
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby vampirenerd » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Ok...one comment on the driving fast thing. Think about after Bella wakes up from her transformation. When she goes into defense mode and then realizes she is the danger the family is afraid of. Think of all the things she notices and then the fact that it didn't even take her a second to notice all of that stuff. It would have taken a normal human quite awhile. There are a few instinces in the Twilight saga and Midnight Sun that show how much information they take in in half a second. I think they wouldn't be a danger to anyone.
Image
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby psugar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 pm

I wonder if the Cullens have a room filled with boxes upon boxes of illegal id's and all that other stuff.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
Image
User avatar
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 am
Location: Wait, I live somewhere! That news to me

Re: Illegal Activities

Postby vampirenerd » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Only if they keep all their old id's. I'm sure they could fill up boxes with the ones they've used in the past but to me they seem like they would just destroy the old ones whenever they get new ones...that way there is no evidence lol
Image
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron