How to Quote Parts of a Post -- PLEASE LEARN HOW TO DO THIS!

HOW TO's and FAQs FOR THE PERPLEXED
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

How to Quote Parts of a Post -- PLEASE LEARN HOW TO DO THIS!

Post by December »

Seriously...please learn this simple technique. Most of the time it’s not necessary to quote the whole of a previous post. If you only quote the lines you are specifically replying to, it not only makes your point clearer; it saves the rest of us from having to scroll past acres of quote to get to what you have to say. The boards are a lot easier to read if everyone takes the trouble to quote selectively!

HOW TO QUOTE PART OF A POST:

1) Copy the text you want to quote (by highlighting, copying etc).

2) Paste it into the composition box where you are writing your reply.

3) Highlight it again.

4) click on the button labelled "Quote" which appears above the composition box (next to bold, underline, italic buttons). This should have the effect of bracketing the text with things that look like: [quote] ... [/quote].

5) Hit the preview button to see what happened. If it worked, the text should now come out looking like a quote

If it isn’t working, check that you haven’t got the “disable BBcodes” box ticked (look below the Preview/Submit buttons).

Now the fancy stuff:

6) To preface the quotation with the poster’s name (ie "December Wrote") you have to go back and edit the first [quote]. Change it so it reads: [quote="December"] (You can do this by inserting the cursor after the "e" in "quote" and then typing the rest). If you do this EXACTLY (with quotation marks and no extraneous spaces), then when you submit or preview the quote should now say "December Wrote" at the top. If it doesn't work, check carefully that you haven't added or left out something.

7) If you want to quote something which itself has a quotation inside it, do it as follows:

• First, copy and paste the whole thing (steps 1-2 above). When you paste, you'll find that the inner quotation no longer appears as a quote -- it will have become ordinary text.

• Next, put the inner quotation into quote brackets (steps 3-6).

• Finally, do the same for the outer quotation. Sometimes the inner quotation runs right to the end of the text you want to quote (ie the outer quotation). If so, be sure and include it when you put quote brackets around the outer quote! Otherwise it won't end up INSIDE the outer quote).

The result should be nested quotations.

This is a first attempt at writing these instructions. If you find them confusing -- or they don't work -- please pm me and let me know!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
cecibelle_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Re: How to Quote Parts of a Post -- please learn how to do this!

Post by cecibelle_cullen »

Hi !!! thanks i didn't really knew how to post quotes since I'm new on the bord, but i got confused from step 6 and on. :?: :?: :)
Image Image Image
December

Post by December »

Sorry! Where exactly did you get lost?
cecibelle_cullen
Wandering Through Town

I didn't understand steps 6 and 7. :?: :)
thanks lol
Image Image Image
December

Post by December »

Uh, yes I got that. But what part don't you understand?

Have you enclosed the text you are quoting in [ quote] [/quote ] brackets? Once you do that, insert the cursor right after the "e' in the first bracket, and type in the equals sign, and the name of the person you're quoting in quotation marks -- exactly as it's written in step 6). When you post -- or preview -- the quote should now have the poster's name at the top. Have you tried doing this?
cecibelle_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Thanks, now that i tried that i understand it better so i can quote the right way. Sorry i was very confused :lol:
See you around the bord :D
Image Image Image
December

Post by December »

Glad it helped!
ash_luvs_carlisle
Settled in Forks

Re: How to Quote Parts of a Post -- PLEASE LEARN HOW TO DO T

Post by ash_luvs_carlisle »

how do you post quotes from the book?
"find the will" - Carlisle Cullen
Keeper of the Lex's Sonic Screwdriver

Post by 24601 »

ash_luvs_carlisle wrote:how do you post quotes from the book?
If you want to quote a part of the book in your post, just type in the appropriate section and highlight the text and click on the Quote button above the post box.

I hope this answered your question.
Noli improbos sinere te conterere
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

December wrote:Seriously...please learn this simple technique. Most of the time it’s not necessary to quote the whole of a previous post. If you only quote the lines you are specifically replying to, it not only makes your point clearer; it saves the rest of us from having to scroll past acres of quote to get to what you have to say. The boards are a lot easier to read if everyone takes the trouble to quote selectively!

HOW TO QUOTE PART OF A POST:

1) Copy the text you want to quote (by highlighting, copying etc).

2) Paste it into the composition box where you are writing your reply.

3) Highlight it again.

4) click on the button labelled "Quote" which appears above the composition box (next to bold, underline, italic buttons). This should have the effect of bracketing the text with things that look like:

5) Hit the preview button to see what happened. If it worked, the text should now come out looking like a quote

If it isn’t working, check that you haven’t got the “disable BBcodes” box ticked (look below the Preview/Submit buttons).

Now the fancy stuff:

6) To preface the quotation with the poster’s name (ie "December Wrote") you have to go back and edit the first
. Change it so it reads:
December wrote: (You can do this by inserting the cursor after the "e" in "quote" and then typing the rest). If you do this EXACTLY (with quotation marks and no extraneous spaces), then when you submit or preview the quote should now say "December Wrote" at the top. If it doesn't work, check carefully that you haven't added or left out something.

7) If you want to quote something which itself has a quotation inside it, do it as follows:

• First, copy and paste the whole thing (steps 1-2 above). When you paste, you'll find that the inner quotation no longer appears as a quote -- it will have become ordinary text.

• Next, put the inner quotation into quote brackets (steps 3-6).

• Finally, do the same for the outer quotation. Sometimes the inner quotation runs right to the end of the text you want to quote (ie the outer quotation). If so, be sure and include it when you put quote brackets around the outer quote! Otherwise it won't end up INSIDE the outer quote).

The result should be nested quotations.

This is a first attempt at writing these instructions. If you find them confusing -- or they don't work -- please pm me and let me know!
I think I'm getting the hang of this. Now I just need to learn to avoid needlessly long quotes.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”