General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by psugar »

I personally think the kid is gonna have a messed up life. First of all, she is being raised by about 5 billion people it seems, that's got to be confusing. She already has someone to fall in love with, that's got to suck who wants some tall shapeshifter following you around all the time. Plus what happens when she looks as old as her parents, how weird. The only way I see this work is if she acts like Edward and Bella are her brother and sister, which is just a little weird, you know?
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
Le-Petit-Mort
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Le-Petit-Mort »

I don't quite like how this situation turned out. Before the baby was even thought of, Bella didn't know hardly anything about kids and Edward probably only knew the basics of kids. But, when IT comes along, they are suddenly people who don't care about anything but sex and Renesmee. It didn't make any sense. Jacob didn't make matters any better. He acted like he knew more about what was best for IT instead of it's own parents. Him being around is going to screw that poor kid's mind up so bad. She isn't going to be able to find true love, because it's already picked out for her. That's like going fishing and having someone put a fish on the line for you. I have to agree with psugar. Too awkward. :?
LionandLamb123
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LionandLamb123 »

I loved the three of them! I think that Renesmee really completes Edward and Bella's relationship. :D I wish we could have seen more of Edward as a father, because when we did it was so sweet! :) One thing I did find a little odd though was Edward giving Renesmee an MP3 player. I thought that was a little random :lol: lol But I absolutley loved them as a family :D
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I personally love the ideal. I too feel that Renesmee completes them. Yeah, it's going to be a little weird growing up in that kind of family. But she already shows that she knows Bella is her mother and she prefers her. And she has such an advanced state of understanding that I don't think it will be hard for her to understand. The only weird thing is the fact that in 7 years she will be the same "age" as her parents. That would be hard to explain
AliceLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AliceLove »

I think that there wouldn't be much of a story if it weren't for Renesmee, and let's face it... she is pretty darn cute! :D

But I do agree that we should see more of Edward as a daddy, and the only time we REALLY see that is before Nessie is even born and he hears her thoughts. Even though he is Nessie's father, it's almost like Jacob is more fatherly to her, in his imprinting-ish way. :)

Thanks ilovetwilight!
Davrick
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Davrick »

I read through it twice so far and I really didn't have an issue believing Edward loved Nessie. I had to laugh at the reaction Ed went through when Bella realized she was pregnant though. Throughout the series he's dealt with the various problems that've sprung up, from vampires trying to kill his soulmate to thinking she was dead, it's not really been something that stopped him from being able to act. Bella going, Edward, I think I'm pregnant, and he's suddenly catatonic like a normal 17 year old teenager.

Reading a lot of these posts it seems like a lot of people didn't factor in the time factor either with how everything advanced. Until Edward heard Nessie, she was an it to him. He didn't have any time to get used to the idea that he was going to be a father, that the thing inside wasn't just killing the love of his life. Once he found out that the nudger loved Bella though, and loved him without even knowing him, it caused his outlook on it to change completely. It no longer was the enemy because it loved his Bella, and we've seen he can't really hate anything that loves her, just look at his relationship with Jacob.

The one that really touched me was the memory Nessie shared regarding Edward singing to her while Bella was changing. So he did spend time with her while Bella was undergoing the change(makes it sound like menopause when I say it like that.... ). After Bella was up though, what all we see is Nessie wanting to be with her momma, and that's right before the 3 month jump forward. Edward also shows expressed concern over Nessie's well being because of her advance in age, it was going to affect both he and Bella because they would live forever and it appeared like one of their blessings was going to burn itself out before their eyes.

As a family I also like the idea that the baby doesn't just affect their lives, but also getting to be the most spoiled half vampire in existence, she gets to fill a void for the entire family seems to have had that really never could've been addressed before. Rosalie wasn't the only one that benefited from it, and I like to think Bella knew part of that when she was going through all of it. Esme got herself a granddaughter.. Alice has a baby to shop for... etc... the entire family was taken with her, and we have such a small window to see everything it's hard to wrap your mind around it. I'm sure the three of them did things on their own, but then again, the extended family dynamic of the group dictated a lot of it.

That's probably why Stephenie said that Breaking Dawn would probably need to be two movies if it gets to that point, because there's so much there that we don't get to see. The time frame of it all is rapid but there's a lot that happens that she couldn't describe for us because she was confined to the space of a single novel. I think I'm gonna stop there cause I think I'm rambling now.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I absolutly love the storyline. I can imagine this this will be an amazing family to be apart of.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
I'Anne.
Settled in Forks

Post by I'Anne. »

I thinkt he whole Nessie-situation was genius. It's the closest they could get to having a normal family. And Edward was so worried about Bella missing out on human experiences like having a child if she turned into a vampire, and it turns out she can have both! The only thing that buggs me a little bit is that Jacob had to discover Nessie so early on. Couldn't he have let Edward and Bella have a few years with their kid? Oh well, I guess that's how it goes. But yeah, Jacob got a bit control-freaky over Renesmee, and I can't blame Edward or Bella for being kind of annoyed at him. But I think Edward had to deal with a difficult situation there, and he wasn't exactly sure how to handle it so that all their relations towards Renesmee were balanced. But I think he does truly love her, and at a few points in the book, you could really see it.
----x----JACOB----x----ImageImage----x----JACOB----x----
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

I liked this, it seems like in some way it does "complete" them. I was sad to see the connection change between B&E...but then again, she made it clear towards the end, she would NOT live w/o edward! so that love was not changed...it is just different! as a parent, I know that clearly! things shift when you have kids...not that your love your spouse less just that you have to make room for more...

I agree that it would have been nice to see Edward as a father more, but again from bella POV...she saw some - but she wanted to time she had and Edward wouldn't take that from her, so we saw more of her! jacob didn't care - he would force himself to get what he wanted...time with Renesmee.
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

I'Anne. wrote:snip The only thing that buggs me a little bit is that Jacob had to discover Nessie so early on. Couldn't he have let Edward and Bella have a few years with their kid? Oh well, I guess that's how it goes. But yeah, Jacob got a bit control-freaky over Renesmee, and I can't blame Edward or Bella for being kind of annoyed at himsnip.
I still don't quite understand comments like this, unless you can understand how Charlie might not like the way Bella was so attached to Edward. Once Jacob imprinted on nessie, it wasn't a matter of could he or could he not be around her. From his standpoint he had to be with her. Pretty much like Edward had to be with Bella.