Automotive Talk--cars, fuels, motorsports, etc.

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Automotive Talk--cars, fuels, motorsports, etc.

Post by bac »

This is a thread to discuss all things CAR related as well as OTHER MOTORSPORTS.

What do you think about alternative fuels for vehicles?

Do you watch auto racing? Motor bikes? Trucks? speed boats?

Discuss...
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Automotive Talk--cars, fuels, motorsports, etc.

Post by Chernaudi »

I'll start this topic off, which is fitting since I was the one who proposed it, I guess(if the previous statement even makes sense).

Here's what I originally wanted to post-the new 2011 model Audi A8: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/ ... 5478.shtml

Audi has diesel variants in the pipe line for North America in time for it's summer/fall 2010 launch in the US and Canada, and there is a proposed hybrid variant, though it's unknown if/when it'll be sold here, or if it'll be gasoline powered, diesel, or both.

And speaking of that, what does anyone think of the alterantive fueled vehicles our now or in the near future-Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have diesel fueled cars on market here(trivia fact, since this is a Twilight forum, after all-Nikki Reed owns an Audi Q7 3.0 TDI diesel SUV). And then there are the variety of hybrids, and the ethanol fueled cars.

And auto racing has entered the alternative fuel arena-Indy cars since 2006 have used ethanol based fuels as standard, and in 2006 as well, the Audi R10 TDI clean diesel Le Mans car started it's dominant run in the American Le Mans Series and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. And from 2007, the ALMS has encouraged teams to use two ethanol enriched/based fuels-E10(10% ethanol), and E85. And what of the Audi diesel fuel? It was then a special blend of low sulphur diesel fuel made partly from waste products of natural gas refinement(GTL, or gas to liquids), and from 2008, used 10% BTL(biomass to liquids), and is reportedly very similar to the GTL/BTL diesel that Shell sells to the public now. And Peugeot also built a successful diesel powered racing car, the Peugeot 908, to challenge the R10. And of course, the R10 is claimed by Audi to not smoke, nor make that much noise(for a racing car for sure): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RrMTe1Cb4g

So I was wondering what anyone thought of this subject, and if anyone wants to comment on auto racing(since that was also touched on as well), please do, as that's a subject also of this thread.

If anyone's interested, please comment.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
xJasper37
Settled in Forks

Post by xJasper37 »

Chernaudi said:
And speaking of that, what does anyone think of the alterantive fueled vehicles our now or in the near future-Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have diesel fueled cars on market here(trivia fact, since this is a Twilight forum, after all-Nikki Reed owns an Audi Q7 3.0 TDI diesel SUV). And then there are the variety of hybrids, and the ethanol fueled cars.
I am not a big fan of alternative fuels. yet. Form what I have seen the total cost is still too much and I am not convinced that the environmental impact will be any better. That said, if a fuel was made that could save $$$ and help the enviornment I would be right behind it.

I have looked closely at these hybrids and the TCO is still higher than a gas vehicle even with tax credits.

If they really want to do stimulus package, offer tax credits for the hybrids that would be multi year and would bring the cost of owning lower than a gas car. I would trade my car in (then again at 180,000 miles it may be time soon anyway).
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

I'm not the biggest fan of the current hybrids-Euro-spec diesels do as well if not better than hybrids, cost somewhat less, and can be serviced at a normal dealership. The problem with diesel is upfront fuel cost-diesel oil is used as the base for heating oil, and diesel cars get 30-40% better mileage than the equvalant gasoline engined vehicle, hence, why diesel for the past couple of years has equaled gasoline or has been more expensive-profit margins.

Ethanol is good, but where are you gonna get the biomass for it-rotting wood and switch grass are options, and per a unit of measure, ethanol is also cheaper, but ethanol cars get 30-40% less mileage than gasoline, so you're still spending just as much per mile as for gas or diesel.

Hybrids are an option, but they're expensive and what about the long term effects-those dead batteries have to go somewhere. KERS(Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems) are an option, but road car applications are a while away for a true KERS system-Zytek has developed KERS for their racing cars, and they also developed the technology that Toyota uses in the Prius. But Zytek claims that their racing KERS technology is far superior to the Prius system. But KERS is an unknown in motorsports-IMSA, who sanction the American Le Mans Series, allows KERS, but the ACO(who sanction the 24 Hours of Le Mans) hasn't put out offical rules for KERS equipped cars(they haven't even published the 2010 rules, and the 12 Hours of Sebring is only 4 months away), and KERS was used in Formula One, but F1 cars used KERS only as a power boost system.

So there is no #1 magic bullet solution-if there was a car that could run off of garbage and crap, that would kill two birds with one stone-fuel for cars, and recycling problems. But right now, if you want to dominate the 24 Hours of Le Mans or the ALMS or LMS, get an Audi R15 or a Peugeot 908, if you can afford one.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Wel I'm one of the few girls who really enjoys talking and watching cars.

My big weakness.... the Aston martin cars....and not just because edward has one... I've been fan of them before I knew what Twilight was....

Every year I follow every F1 race...I'm a huge underdog fan so I was happy to see Brawn winning this year.... ;)

My self I drive a small fuel efficient toyota...I love that car...I try to drive as efficient as possible but since I live in the city it isn't as easy anymore....
I hope they find out a way to drive on CO2 that would be usefull....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

CO2 would be useful, but it can't be combusted to produce power in any combustion engine(internal or external), and right now, I don't think that anyone has the technology to harness it as a compressed gas to power a road car.

But as for racing, does anyone follow that, since I've mentioned it-and it can be anything, but I don't really follow Indy Car or Motorcycle racing. I mostly follow Le Mans style racing(ALMS, LMS, etc), and on occasion, NASCAR or F1.

Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

In motorsport news, Audi is the first manufacturer and team to commit to the ACO's Le Mans Intercontental Cup: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/ ... 5500.shtml

Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Hey everyone!:) Don't be afriad to comment here if you have a question or opinion about this stuff, after all, it's getting kinda lonely here.

Anyways, a look back at March of 2009 and the 12 Hours of Sebring, as it might be the last great Sebring for at least a year(2010's grid looks kinda anemic right now): http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... f-sebring/

And on to maybe a more serious topic-large vs small as far as cars...

I know that the typical way of though is that bigger is better-not always, especially when fuel mileage and vehicle cost are factored in. But I don't think that a subcompact is a good choice for a family car, unless your immediate family is just your boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife. But then there are SUVs and large sedans that require large engines and cost and arm and a leg to buy and maintain.

One area that I feel that I've seen improvements in is how space is used in cars. Take newer Audi's, for example. Their cars are built as front wheel drive cars with the provision for an all-wheel drive system(sold under the trade name "quattro"). The problem is one of packaging, especially for longintudinally mounted engines, as they hang over the front wheel centerline and can unbalance the car, and to keep the car compact and lightweight, they were given short wheelbases, with the attendantly cramped rear passenger area or reduced trunk space. This was true of previous A4's. But the new A4 has a much longer wheelbase, though overall size is similar, because the clutch/torque converter and front differential have swapped places. This has also allowed for the engine to be moved towards the center of the car and the passenger space englarged without size or weight penalties.

And what of what cars are built out of. Audi is famous for building the top of the line cars(A8/S8 sedans and the R8 mid engined super car) out of aluminum-the A8 family and the R8 use an aluminum unitbody construction sold under the tradename of "Audi Space Frame"(or ASF). It allows the A8 to be a large car without being heavier, and it's construction allows the chassis to be stronger. So you have a lightweight, strong, safe, and fuel-efficent sedan compared to it's competition. One problem-aluminum is more expensive than steel and is harder to make a car body out of, which is why the Honda/Acura NSX was so expensive(though the A8 is slightly cheaper than the equivalant Mercedes-Benz S-Class or BMW 7 series). But for the mass market, there's the Audi TT-it's unitbody is make up of a mixture of steel and aluminum components.

And of course, there's carbon fiber, but right now, that's limited to trim on most cars or insanely expensive supercars(Ferrari Enzo, Maserati MC12, McLaren F1, et al), and, of course, racing cars(F1, Indy Cars, Le Mans Prototypes, and even on Super GT cars that race in Japan use carbon fiber chassis built partly around a production car chassis).

And of course, there are small cars, like the Mini, various foreign cars, and at the top of the list are the BMW 1 series and the soon to be launched Audi A1. The A1 is intended to replace the long out of production Audi A2, which used an aluminum unitbody, which gave the car excellent fuel economy(far better then the Toyota Prius), but made it too expensive for the market. Hopefully, the A1 will have more success.

With that said, what would one like to see in a car of the near future-a truly practical small car, sedans getting more poweriful but at the same time more fuel efficent and staying a practical size, or more racing bred technology trickling down into production cars(like an affordable carbon chassis cars, for instance)? What would you like to see?

xJasper37
Settled in Forks

Post by xJasper37 »

I would just like to see an affordable hybrid or high efficiency car.

Is this too much to ask?
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

If you're from Europe, buy a diesel. If you're from America, you're pretty much screwed right now-current hybrid technology is expensive and only German luxury/sports car makers are importing diesels right now. I think that only VW has relatively affordable diesels.