General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Love Triangle-Bella, Edward, Jacob

Post by marielle »

I really really have no patience for Jacob.... I mean why can't he just accept he lost after he heard that Bella would marry Edward...please....
Like a lot of you, I really hated the part where he tricks Bella into kissing him, that was so low. I skip that part every time I reread Eclipse..
The triangle it self is a really good plot, and I think we all can relate up till some point, we all had to choose between two good things...

But still I'm a huge Team Edward supporter, ( i'm a bit baised) and I'm happy that Bella ends up being happy with Edward
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
squashedcupcake
Settled in Forks

Post by squashedcupcake »

Personally, I feel Bella should have a choice in this matter. Edward and Jacob are always fighting over her, and never giving her a chance to voice her opinion. Perhaps this is just Meyer's way of telling us the werewolves and vampires can rarely be friends. However, to me, it doesn't really matter whether she chooses Edward or Jacob, they're both great guys, and they all have something special about them.

This is why I have always been "impartial" about the teams. I'm not going to choose one over the other, mainly because Edward-groupies are malevolent to Jacob-groupies and vice versa- even in real life, i.e. the strange world outside the Internet. But of course Bella is now a vampire, so I suppose Edward is her only choice now.
xXButterflyXSkullsXx
Settled in Forks

Post by xXButterflyXSkullsXx »

Me and my friends were talking about this the other day.
I feel like the triangle is understandable. I've always thought of it as the part of Bella that loved Jacob was Renesmee. It explains the fast bond she had with him and the connection to him. Also the way she wouldn't let go of him even when she had Edward back. So I don't really blame her Bella or look down at the love triangle because of the reason behind it. Its not like she could help it...because she couldn't.
My Baby's father is a vampire...The other is a werewolf.

Team Switzerland -- Team Alice -- Team Esme -- Team Renesmee
kennysuewho
Settled in Forks

Post by kennysuewho »

squashedcupcake wrote:Personally, I feel Bella should have a choice in this matter. Edward and Jacob are always fighting over her, and never giving her a chance to voice her opinion.
I don't agree with this- Bella states over and over again that her choice is Edward, and that she only wants Jacob as a friend. This is where Jacob really annoys me (of course it's partly Bellas fault too), I understand that he loves her and obviously wants to win her away form Edward, but he is a really crappy friend to put her in the posistion he did. Bella was resisting the temptation of Jacob because she knew, in the end, it would only cause more pain for everyone involved, including Jacob. If he was a good friend he wouldn't have done that to her.
I think one very telling part of how Edwards love is stronger than Jacobs is when Jacob is carrying Bella through the woods and Bella tells him about asking Edward to stay with her
Bella: " But you wouldn't stay with me, even if I begged"
Jacob: "That's only because I know you better. Everything's going to go without a hitch. Even if you'd asked and I'd said no, you wouldn't be mad at me afterwards." Eclipse p.480
I don't beleive Edward is staying with Bella because he thinks she would be mad if he didn't, he's doing it because it is what she needs emotionally, but Jacob doesn't really understand the depth of the emotional connection Edward and Bella have, at least until Renesmee comes along. I guarantee he would stay with her.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

The first time I read the series I was like what love triangle clearly Bella states it will always be Edward. However when I read it again I did see Bella love Jacob in her own way but to me it was no where near as much love as she had for Edward. It can't be. I know some people didn't like Jacob but he never bothered me. I think many of us have been in his situation where we liked someone where we wanted more out of the relationship than they where willing to offer.
Banner by TammyAZ
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Wow. This thread was actually made. :)

First, some comments after perusing the previous posts...

Just because Bella falls even a little bit for Jacob does not make her... an "easy woman." She's human. It happens. Now, comparing her to Edward and saying that he'll never kiss another girl or fall in love with someone else? Guess what? He's not human. That's not a fair comparison to Bella.

Next, I shudder to think of just how many people read this series and think that love is supposed to be like this. And, by extension, what kind of "lesson" kids are getting from reading it. If you cannot separate reality from fantasy, that's a much bigger issue that cannot be addressed here. This is a work of fiction, not an instructional work.

Jacob became quite obsessive and controlling in his own right. Like when he realized a vampire (Alice, it turns out) was in Bella's home and he wanted to take her away, even after she told him she knew who was there. He may have been "healthier" in a sense, but I don't think he's necessarily "better" than Edward. I like to think that, if Edward were human and brought up in the same time as Jacob, they'd end up quite a bit alike. Jacob exists to show Bella that she has that option, the option to stay human, and be human, and remain with her human friends and family- and to illustrate to her just what she's giving up in order to be with Edward.

About "Jacob's Bella" being Renesmee: She (Renesmee) wasn't even around at the time of New Moon or Eclipse, so how is that reasoning made? Now if you meant during the pregnancy, that's a bit different, but it sounds as if you're equating Bella's falling for Jacob to being due to someone who doesn't exist at that point in the story.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

sweetpea wrote:. I think many of us have been in his situation where we liked someone where we wanted more out of the relationship than they where willing to offer.
This is VERY true. One of the things that I think SM brilliantly did was show that there are other choices, and that is something many of us have had to deal with. Secondly, I have been in two relationships where the guy wanted more than I did, and I have known of dozens of others. This point, where Bella has to choose, but there really isn't a choice made Bella the most real to me because I had gone through that.

Hi ringswraith! Where are your siggy and avi?
Phena
Settled in Forks

Post by Phena »

Like some of you have stated "what love triangle". I think that Stephanie put Jacob in the book because we needed something to drive us to "hate" and wish for Edward back. Jacob seems to help with Edward gone but Bella states through out the series that Jacob only makes the hole in her chest more bearable not that he heals it. The hole never heals until Edward comes back and I think the only reason she feels obligated to love Jacob is for what she has done to make him love her. She tells Jacob umpteen times that she loves Edward and Jacob refuses to listen it makes me so mad, Jacob is the one that refuses to let Bella go, he tries to imprint on her and make it harder on her. I think it is very selfish of Jacob to be so petty when he knows all along she loves Edward more, even if there is a small part that could love Jacob if her true love was not coming back.
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

Wow, I totally don't get alot of the points here. :shock: :?

Bella kissed Jacob. Get over it. That does not make her a ... (wow, I can't even quote posts without the language filter kicking in :roll: )! :o

It is possible to love more than one person. Edward left and nearly destroyed Bella, and Jacob was the one who kept her sane and helped her to start healing. I totally get that she fell in love with him. He was so good for her. There's no "feel obligated" about it...she fell in love with him. It's just that she loved Edward first and she loved him more.

I thought the love triangle was one of the best bits of characterisation of the Saga. It's so real....apart from the good ending, lol. :lol: In real life, someone always end up hurting.

Jacob is very young - incredibly so compared to Edward. How he behaves is very understandable given that. He doesn't have Edward's patience or self-sacrifice. Not that Edward always behaves well...he swings from one extreme to the other, making the situation far worse.
ringswraith wrote:Just because Bella falls even a little bit for Jacob does not make her... an "easy woman." She's human. It happens. Now, comparing her to Edward and saying that he'll never kiss another girl or fall in love with someone else? Guess what? He's not human. That's not a fair comparison to Bella.
Exactly right! How Edward feels is more like an imprinted wolf than a normal human.

But Bella is human.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
selle
Settled in Forks

Post by selle »

Firstly I was a bit sorry for Jake, I mean ... Bells chosen Edward and he was left alone... But later I realised that.. That was the right thing. Bellas' destiny is Edward, and no one could ever change it. I know that most of us would say that, if Edward never came back she would end up with Jake. Maybe she would, maybe wouldn't. She did feel something for Jake but never strong enough like for Edward. Triangles sides weren't equal... Bellas love and connection with Edward was more stronger than with Jake. I mean, if there wasn't Edward at all, I would completely agree that Bella ends up with Jake, but, for me, the triangle is a bit senseless, Edward waited for her ninety years, she is his destiny, Bella has never had boyfriend before Edward, he is her destiny... I am sorry for Jake, but... :)
*Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs.*