True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twi-nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by twi-nerd »

SweetImpakt wrote:
funkidiva wrote:Thats the problem with the UK showing American dramas - we are normally behind a season in most shows.
Lol , you're lucky they even show it at all :D Here in Belgium we don't get to see it, so I simply have to buy the DVD's on Amazon or something to be able to watch the series.And they still haven't released the second season on DVD. :cry:
They Haven't Released The Second Season Out Here Either(: Does That Help?
My favorite band Pierce the Veil. I LOVE VIC FUENTES!! Thank you so much Chloe for the banner.
egaeci
Learning to Love Green

Post by egaeci »

*Possible spoilers for those who haven't seen the second season*

I just recently discovered this series, and there are things I really like and things I don't like at all. Is the TV show following the books closely? Are both seasons based on books, ie, are there "books left" that haven't been filmed yet, or the other way around? *completely new to the subject, obviously*

I liked season 2 better than the first one. Can't really take Bill seriously though, don't know if this is because of the actor or if he is supposed to be that...well, stiff. I like Sam though, a lot. When he first shifted I was all but jumping up and down in the living room - a vampire and a shape shifter competing for the same girl, wonder why that feels familiar..? :lol:

And of course, I like Eric and his people, all bored-out-of-their-minds-psychopaths, but still (mostly) civilized. Not as genuinely evil as Aro or Angelus, but still quite evil. Him speaking Swedish is a bit surreal though, to have the American accent broken up by that very Stockholmish theatrical accent... Hilarious, especieally when speaking of children being delicious. :D

The whole Mary Ann thing though, not my cup of tea.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Ive only seen series one so far and am on book 3. The TV series are loosly based on the books and the storylines that follow the main characters are similar, however the TV series have added some extra characters and changed things at times, like most series do. Books are well worth a read though and are just as enjoyable and exciting. I think there are 9 books out at present with a 10th to be released soon, or maybe the 10th is already out...?

Im a team Sam girl myself too :D
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
egaeci
Learning to Love Green

Post by egaeci »

So I guess that means I've got a couple of new vampire books to read then! :)
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

egaeci wrote:So I guess that means I've got a couple of new vampire books to read then! :)
egeaci, yes you should start reading the books! They're awesome! The tv-series don't stay really close to the books, especially not the second season. There are 9 books atm, and the 10th is coming out in may. I'm totally team Eric btw, but only since the last few books!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Ive finished Club Dead and loved it - starting to get drawn in by Eric now :D Just started book 4 and am even more smitten by him haha
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

funkidiva book 4 was my turning point. Since then I'm totally team Eric. I love his bad side a lot. He's just sexy, he's my fav character!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Crimson Fury
Settled in Forks

Post by Crimson Fury »

I've read all but the latest book. They're pretty good. Not my absolute favorite series, but I still liked them. I should get back into it one of these days.

I'm Team Bill, but I still love Eric. I really, really hope that Sookie ends up with either Bill or Eric in the end, and not some other guy. I can't imagine her being with anyone else. :)
HarryTuttle
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Ser

Post by HarryTuttle »

I've read only the first book which was fascinating and great, i've been hooked into this show for 2 years. Jessica never looks so fine!

But does anyone think the show is a bit of a metaphor on Alan Ball's sexuality? i mean some unintentionally funny things like coming out of the coffin, being different and "God hates fangs" signs, those made me laugh big time. I know Alan Ball (the creator of this show, Six Feet Under and writer of American Beauty & Towel-Head) is gay and i think he uses those as funny references.

Not nearly as metaphorical as in "The Lost Boys" where Sam (Corey Haim's character) dresses flamboyantly even with a "Born to Shop" t-shirt, singing in the bubble bath about "Not getting a man", hiding a stuffed beaver in the closet and the biggest one of them all which is strange, a half naked poster of Rob Lowe (80's teen heartthrobe) on his closet door. I've always been wondering about Sam for years with those things, i mean a boy shouldn't have a Rob Lowe poster in his room even a half-naked one as it belongs in a girl's room, i mean he could have had a Demi Moore poster in his room as she was a heartthrobe to teen boys back then.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Ser

Post by funkidiva »

I agree Chrimson Fury - I hope Sookie either ends up with Bill, Eric or Sam and not someone else.

About to start book 7 and have pre-ordered book 9 in soft-back as in the UK it is only available in hardback at the mo.

I cannot comment on Alan Ball's sexuality really as I have never thought about it. I loved Six Foot Under however and watched every series and really enjoyed it. Thats why im glad he did True Blood as I like his gritty, dark humour and take on things. That show never made me think about his sexual preference though...