General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Gen4Cullens
Settled in Forks

Re: Favorite Book of the Saga

Post by Gen4Cullens »

My favorite is definitely Breaking Dawn. I'm vampire obsessed in general, so getting to see the other characters fleshed out, and their extra abilities was huge. It was also the culmination of all that I had been hoping for with Edward and Bella...the wedding, honeymoon, Renesemee, and the happily ever after. I LOVED the end, when Bella was able to pull her shield back for Edward. Amazing.
"Do you know I told you so has a brother, Jacob? His name is shut the hell up!"

lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but will the graphic novel be getting its own thread?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

lady4string wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but will the graphic novel be getting its own thread?
It would make sense that it does. Just PM one or a few of the mods and request it. That's how we've gotten a number of really good threads. Usually, they will ask you to then have a few others attest to their want for that thread and then, bibbidi-bobbity-boo, there it is. :lol:
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I leave the mods in peace (I'm sure they get enough messages as it is) and I'm sure they'll soon add a thread. :)
ValerieC
Settled in Forks

Post by ValerieC »

Ohhh! They're all sooooo good!!

For me, Breaking Dawn is my favorite! There's just too much good stuff in that book to list
But a close second is Eclipse and Twilight - they're tied for me. Both have so many important and wonderful elements....Eclipse shows the true love and development of Edward and Bella while explaining so much of Bella and Jacob's relationship too. Plus, it has all the "kidnapping" scenes which are so fantastic....each kidnapping provided so much info....Rosalie's backstory, the infamous "leg hitch", etc.
Then there's Twilight ... the story that started this all. For me, any first book of a series is great because it has all of you background info. And espeicially this series....to see how Bella and Edward fall in love is so beautiful to read
Finally, New Moon is at the bottom of my list. And this is really for no other reason than I am not a Jacob fan. I am not a Jacob hater - I'm just not a fan. He's a very interesting and pivotal character that provides an entire dimension to the series that would never be there otherwise - but still - just not my cup of tea. (Don't crucify me Team Jacobers - I understand if you think Edward is overbearing and annoying - it's just a matter of opinion :D )
ajtucker8098
Settled in Forks

Post by ajtucker8098 »

I kinda hinted to this in my intro thread but I actually have two favorites books

Twilight and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is the introduction to the characters where they all first meet and you see the beginning of their relationships.

Breaking Dawn is the conclusion of what has happened through out the series with the characters. You see their growth and you see how their relationships with each other has changed. Oh yeah and FINALLY BELLA GOT HER WISH! I thought the wait for that was going to kill me lol.

This is the first series or books for that matter that have made me scream out loud "Hurry up already"...LOL
"I tried to be good but I got bored"
BellaSeni
Settled in Forks

Post by BellaSeni »

I like two books Breaking Dawn and Eclipse because the history it's so well tell that makes us
feel like we are there watching everything
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (mods, please move this to the right forum if this isn't the correct spot), but why do so many people hate Breaking Dawn? It seems that so many hate that Bella got pregnant, but I don't understand the outrage because of that. One complaint is that she goes into Mary Sue territory here because she doesn't go through the crazy newborn phase, but I didn't want to read 50+ pages of her thirst and crazed newborn year. I think SM did that to propel the action forward. On a criticism note, yes, Bella does near Mary Sue-ness sometimes in this book, but I understand why Meyer did what she did with Bella's newborn time.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

lady4string wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (mods, please move this to the right forum if this isn't the correct spot), but why do so many people hate Breaking Dawn? It seems that so many hate that Bella got pregnant, but I don't understand the outrage because of that. One complaint is that she goes into Mary Sue territory here because she doesn't go through the crazy newborn phase, but I didn't want to read 50+ pages of her thirst and crazed newborn year. I think SM did that to propel the action forward. On a criticism note, yes, Bella does near Mary Sue-ness sometimes in this book, but I understand why Meyer did what she did with Bella's newborn time.
Lady~ I'm thinking the Breaking Dawn Discussion Thread might be the correct place for the discussion. But, as you asked, I'll give you my thoughts and then they can move both out posts, if they feel it necessary. I think the reason people reacted so strongly to the way things ended was it very much seemed that Renesmee was very much the form of a deus ex machina device for the story. That is to say that she tied up sooooo many issues in a nice neat little bow. She gave Jacob his imprint, thus removing the complication of his and Bella's "relationship", as well as providing somewhat of an explanation for it. Also, she provided a bit of an out in terms of Bella's crazed newbornness, although I think that's an unrelated issue. Personally, I think a lot of readers are too jaded to accept an HEA ending. That's been the biggest complaint I've seen is that "she didn't have to earn it, she didn't lose anything, she didn't suffer enough" to get her happiness. I completely disagree, but that's another post on the Bella thread.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

About Breaking Dawn~ I like a lot of the book. I love the wedding, and the honeymoon. I am so happy that Bella and Edward got their HEA. I liked that Bella was such a perfect newborn. Both because Edward deserved to see her happy to be sure that he did the right thing, but also because I always thought that she would excel at being a vampire. They deserved it, and the ending of BD is just perfect with Bella finally letting Edward read her mind. I think that meant so much to the both of them. I wanted nothing else than for them to find eternal happiness and I think they really did with the end of BD.

But...I feel that they could and should have gotten the HEA without Renesmee. Like JG points out, I think she just ties too many loose ends. Everything is solved, so they won't have to deal with any more problems with Jacob. And I don't think that was the right ending for Jacob. And I think Edward and Bella should have spent time just being together, the two of them. So for me, Nessie was unnecessary for the HEA, and that makes BD my least favorite book of the saga.

My favorite is New Moon. Not because I am Team Jacob. Quite the contrary..*points to signature* But because I feel that NM is a turning point in Bella and Edward's relationship, and I think what happened there is so important for the progression of their relationship. The breakup was so important, and it truly left an impact on me. And everything from Italy and onwards are among my absolute favorites in the entire saga.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~