Twilight Saga Q&A #4

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby ringswraith » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 am

egaeci is essentially right. James and Demetri are both trackers, though not in the same manner.

James was a tracker in the more traditional sense. Superior senses, all the cunning of a hunter- not necessarily a "superpower" (although Stephenie Meyer does put an asterisk next to his name at the end of Breaking Dawn, so there has to be more to it than just this).

Demetri relies on his power pretty much exclusively. One difference here is that Demetri can know where you are at any time, supposedly no matter the distance between you; James has to actively track you (via scent and/or other means) and figure out where you are. It's like the difference between an experienced hunter tracking a deer in the forest, versus a hunter who put a tracking collar on a deer and is trying to locate it with his device.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby chowzinha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 am

Oh, ok, it makes sense now!

thanks a lot!
Image
User avatar
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:44 pm
Location: Bahia, Brasil xD

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby Jazz Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am

So, I was thinking this morning about Carlisle and Edward and Bella. During my musings, something occured to me and I want to get some folks opinions about this.

Knowing what we know about the newborn phase and how Carlisle was as a newborn, do you think it is possible that Carlisle did in fact have a "gift" and that it was the kind of enhanced super self control that people often discuss in relation to Bella?
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Image
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
User avatar
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Rob's HalfwayHouse, shacked up with some FicWard.

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby ringswraith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Jazz Girl wrote:Knowing what we know about the newborn phase and how Carlisle was as a newborn, do you think it is possible that Carlisle did in fact have a "gift" and that it was the kind of enhanced super self control that people often discuss in relation to Bella?


That sounds like a logical question. Though I am leaning towards "no."

First, if he did have that "super self control," it shouldn't have taken him over a century to resist the lure of blood and get to the point where he could practice medicine. Edward characterizes this process as "tortuous," which also leads me to believe Carlisle had no such gift.

I'd also imagine that, if he did have that ability, Edward wouldn't be in quite as much awe of him as he is. Carlisle represents someone who's "beaten the system" through diligence and hard work (and lots of time). Knowing that he had this ability all along sort of cheapens his accomplishment.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby Jazz Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Hmmmmmm.... I don't know that I would go so far as to say it cheapens the accomplishment. But, I certainly see your point.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Image
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
User avatar
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Rob's HalfwayHouse, shacked up with some FicWard.

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby ringswraith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Jazz Girl wrote:Hmmmmmm.... I don't know that I would go so far as to say it cheapens the accomplishment. But, I certainly see your point.


IMO it does. I mean, you hear about a vampire who's practically immune to the lure of human blood, that he's built up his resistance over centuries of living... You think, wow, this guy is incredible!

Then you learn that he's actually got a gift for control, and it really only took him less than a decade to accomplish this... Suddenly he's not so incredible anymore.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby Jazz Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:08 pm

ringswraith wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:Hmmmmmm.... I don't know that I would go so far as to say it cheapens the accomplishment. But, I certainly see your point.


IMO it does. I mean, you hear about a vampire who's practically immune to the lure of human blood, that he's built up his resistance over centuries of living... You think, wow, this guy is incredible!

Then you learn that he's actually got a gift for control, and it really only took him less than a decade to accomplish this... Suddenly he's not so incredible anymore.



True, true. I suppose then it's a good thing that we can continue to admire Carlisle for the amazing being that he is. :D
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Image
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
User avatar
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Rob's HalfwayHouse, shacked up with some FicWard.

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby Openhome » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Sometimes the less gifted you are, the more amazing your accomplishments. I agree with Rings *waves hi* and the idea that Carlisle would be less amazing if he was gifted. He doesn't cheat, he worked for it. I know that the people I admire the most aren't those with tremendous gifts, but those who, through their own personal strength, have overcome things.
User avatar
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Chatting with Esme and giving her parenting advice

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby sanctnuae » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:26 am

hiya i was just wondering why Edwards eyes didnt turn red at the end of twilight after saving Bella from James' venom.
He had to have drunk her blood as well as just sucking out the venom so his eyes according to SM should have been burgundy.
i was thinking about contacts but i think Bella would have noticed that and said something

Also any theories on what Embry and Quil whispered in NM in Jacobs garage. I know theres no real answer to this but it makes me smile when i try to imagine what they are saying.
sanctnuae
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Postby Jazz Girl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am

sanctnuae wrote:hiya i was just wondering why Edwards eyes didnt turn red at the end of twilight after saving Bella from James' venom.
He had to have drunk her blood as well as just sucking out the venom so his eyes according to SM should have been burgundy.
i was thinking about contacts but i think Bella would have noticed that and said something

Also any theories on what Embry and Quil whispered in NM in Jacobs garage. I know theres no real answer to this but it makes me smile when i try to imagine what they are saying.


Sanctunae~ As to the question about Quil and Embry, can't really tell you and honestly don't have any theories at the moment. I haven't read New Moon since before the film's release, so I'd need to go back and look at where you're talking about to be sure.

As to Edward's eyes after drinking Bella's blood in Twilight, this has actually been the subject of much discussion here and around the Lex. I believe there is even discussion by SM in one of her interviews linked on the main page. But, to save you some time and a lot of searching, I believe the conclusion was that the amount of blood that Edward took in was not significant enough to turn his eyes, least ways the significantly. There might have been a bit of darkening or burgundy tinge. Yes, it took him a little time to stop, but he essentially took in ONLY enough to pull the venom out and no more. So, no change in eye color.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Image
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
User avatar
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Rob's HalfwayHouse, shacked up with some FicWard.

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron