BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Post by Variety »

Sorry, I know hardly anything about the Mormon faith, so would someone be able to outline the main beliefs of the LDS members?
I'm not very eloquent, and don't quite know where to start. You can find a good overview of the LDS beliefs here. You can also look at this list of basic beliefs called the Articles of Faith. If you have any exact questions, there are several people here who would be able to help, or direct you to someone who can.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

I second that. I'm trying, but I'm still confused.
------------------------------------------------------
oh hey, someone answered. haha, thanks.
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

What are you confused about samajama?
by Laniyeah on photobucket
love2dream
Settled in Forks

Post by love2dream »

What a wonderful thread! Bravo to all of you that have aksed questions! Thank you. You will find that most Mormons are happy to answer questions, no matter how silly you may think they are. We jump at the chance to clear up misunderstandings, myths and questions on our beliefs. Ask away!

Here are some questions I have been asked.
"How many moms do you have?" One.
"But how many wives does your dad have?" One. The Mormon church discontiued polygamy in 1890. Even for the short years it was practiced, it was less than 10% of the membership that practiced it. Please don't confuse us with the FLDS church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) does not allow its members to practice polygamy. More info here.

"Do you have horns?" (I'm serious. Someone asked me this in HS) No. No tails either. ;)

"Can Mormons have pierced ears?" Yes. We have been cautioned however to treat our bodies like a temple and a gift from God and to be careful not to disrespect our Father in Heaven by abusing the inside (why we avoid things like smoking, alcohol, and coffee) or outside of it. Like Bella said, mulitple piercings and tattoos are scary!

"You guys have grocery stores in your basements, huh?" Umm...sort of. Like the Boy Scouts (or Joseph of Egypt), we are taught to be prepared. In the past we were directed to have a year supply of food to sustain life in an emergency (natural disaster, job loss, etc.) Because of some recent food studies done by the church, they have slightly change this directive. We are now to build a 3 month supply of food that we use regulary (cereals, canned foods, boxed mixes, etc...) and long term storage of the basic staples (rice, beans, wheat, powdered milk, sugar, etc.) that when stored properly will last 20+ years. More info here.

Anything else? We welcome all questions.
FIND BELLA'S DRESS click here----->http://www.geocities.com/belladress
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

chessley_meyers wrote:Ahh...stake dances. Good luck with that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thinks its a little weird that the media always makes a big deal if celebrities are Mormon, but rarely if they are any other religion. I think its unfair that people like Stephenie Meyer have to take flak for their beliefs, when other famous people don't necessarily have to. Your thoughts?
I agree, I think ti's rediculous how themedia makes a big deal about it. I think that somebody's beliefs should be left personal. They shouldn't be broadcasted unless the person does it willingly.

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Hi, I just found this thread. I'm LDS too, but no, not from Utah. Can you believe I'm 16 and never gone to a stake dance before (or rather a multi-stake dance, mine's too small to go solo)? I know, but everyone says their lame and seriously, there is no one in my ward to go with. We have 4 active laurels (including me) and 3 active priests. I don't really know anyone from the stake either. So kinda depressing, that I've never gone to a church dance.
So what is the best church-based movie in your opinion (i.e. Singles Ward, R.M., Home Teachers). My favorite is The Best Two Years. It's so funny but also has that spiritual side. Only now when I watch it, they have pictures of the previous first presidency on the back of pictures with their girlfriends, but now whenever I see President Hinkley's face in that movie I can't find it as funny as I used to :cry: . I miss him so much (but I do love President Monson, he's a wonderful prophet)!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
~twilight_princess~
Wandering Through Town

Post by ~twilight_princess~ »

I'm LDS too, and I can answer any questions anyone has. I'm not from Utah either. Haha, I've heard a lot of those earlier questions too... Lol. For those of you who are mormon, I've had three older brothers go on missions, one is still currently out. When the time my first brother went out to the time my third brother gets back, it will have been five years since we've all been together... :-) But I love having missionary brothers.

I think stake dances rock, and I'll be a laurel next year.

Anyone with a facebook should join my Stephenie Meyer group! Here:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10202818409
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Favorite LDS movie?
Psh, SO Johnny Lingo!
*grins* He's hot.
And it made me laugh.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Oh yeah, Johnny Lingo I forgot about that one! But which one, the old one or the new one? I've only seen the new one and I really liked it.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

When people find out I'm LDS, the single comment I get most often is, "But you're so normal." I haven't decided yet if that's a compliment or a put-down. :?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry