A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

Post by Lirpa »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I personally was worried about them as soon as she saw them on the street. I had no idea that Edward was going to show up, but was very happy when he did.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
No I was never afraid of Edward. He'd just save Bella, so I was not worried for her either. I wasn't sure if he would go back or not, but figured he did not want to scare Bella even more, so he would try not to do anything to bad.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
No I knew he was a vampire. I was surprised a little that he told her he could read minds. But he had already said that he could not stay away from her, so why not tell the truth.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
I figured she was special in some way, she had to be. Edward had taken an interest in her when he did not care about any of the other students at Forks H.S.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
No I thought it was romantic in a way. He wanted to make sure that Bella was safe, and she does kind of need that attention. Although had it been anyone else I would have been screaming STALKER!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Alphie wrote:1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?

When she went into the alley and didn't stick to lighted streets. but she wasn't familar. When I first read the book no I don't think I did

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?

WOW A man that really stands up for a woman. Someone who doesn't excuse bad behavior. Not afraid for him or Bella

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
No it was too early, I thought more along the lines watching and smelling and then in the car he said he heard what they said

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?

I think that him not being able to read her mind was just more of a reason for Edward to get to know her. She was something he never came across, but I didn't think it was coming as a power of Bella's

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
No I think he was concerned and also intregued
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
as soon as they started following her i was like, "run bella, run!!" i had no clue edward would save her, but im gald he did! :D

i was afraid of him. i mean, he was stalking bella, who wouldnt be afraid of their stalker?? :lol:

i knew he was a vampire but not that he could read minds! it was a little too starigh foreward for his personality if you ask me. if was interesting at how open he was.

i thought it was something like what edward had said. with him getting fm but shes pm... that was a very good theory.

i was scared of him. once again, who wouldnt be afraid of the guy who shows of everywhere?? but when he said he loved her and she loved him, it wasnt as scared anymore.
Betting on Alice.
Chyeah
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chyeah »

There was a line along the lines of, "They were herding me" that actually sent a shiver up my spine. Because Bella is the main character in a Young Adult novel that hadn't been very gory or scary at all so far (minus Edward dragging Bella to his truck), I could tell she wasn't going to be harmed.

I was worried that Edward was going to snap because of how angry he was, and I thought it would have been an interesting plot point if he went off the deep end, and it was addressed as being bad (not romantic). One of the reasons I don't like Twilight is because it could have been salvaged. There was so much to tell and so many possible plot points that would have been excellent, but we got Edward fuming silently.

I knew this was a vampire novel, so I wasn't too shocked, but if "Edward was a vampire" wasn't in the synopsis on the back of the book, I would have thought he was insane.

I didn't think it would ever be explained, so I didn't dwell on it.I figured it was just one of those things- like Bella's phobia of blood that never seems to be addressed after the science class event.

Okay, you had to ask.
Yes, I thought it was creepy. They had only spoken about three, four times before in their lives, and I didn't know why Edward would work so hard to keep her safe, let alone why he would follow her to Port Angeles. Had they not fallen in love so quickly afterward, and had he not watched her sleep later on, I probably would have brushed it off.
I'm an anti here for civil discussion on why Twihards like Twilight. However, if you personally insult me, I see no reason to respect you. You have been warned.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Yeah defo when Bella realised they weren't following her, and instead she "was being herded". I could feel the colour draining from my face, and I was generally scared for her. I didn't know that Edward would show up, but I hoped. But then again, I had no idea that he would have been following her.

I was never worried for Bella; I didn't think he would ever harm her. I was a bit afraid of him tho, with him driving very fast and speaking quite weird. I thought it was very sweet tho at the same time, how he rescued her, and how mad he was at the thugs.

Yeah I thought considering how secreative he was with everything else, he gave that away quite quickly. I had no idea that would be his secret! Completely took me by surprise!

Again I had no idea. I guessed that she was different to everyone somehow, maybe the same thing that attracted her to Edward (since he didn't seem to like any other human girl). Or maybe cos she loved him so much, that her mind didn't want to admit it to him yet, and someone thats how he couldn't hear her. I'm just rambling now lol, short answer: I had no idea :lol:

I thought it was weird, defo a bit like a stalker. If it was anyone else, I'd be screaming at Bella to run away from him lol.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

When she realized she was being trapped I was like "Oh no! Oh no!" but then I thought that Edward hadn't showed up in a while, and when he appeared I was like: "THANKS!".

Well, I understood his madness. And I was afraid because I actually thought he was going to kill them. But I wasn't worried for Bella, Edward had just saved her so I knew she wasn't in danger anymore.

I thought he gave it away a bit quickly, but I guessed he had no other choice but to tell the truth. After all, Bella had already seen a lot of supernatural things about him, so it was truth time.

I had 2 theories: a) It's because he's in love with her, b) Bella is different from other people.

I didn't consider the stalker thing until I noticed that other people did. But Bella didn't find it creepy or something like that, so I never really thought about it. If she liked it, I liked it.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Well since she is a main character I wasn't worried.
I felt he had feelings for her I knew he wouldn't hurt her.
No I wasn't b/c she kept the van incident a secret so Edward felt he could trust her.
I couldn't figure it out. I was shocked reading the last book.
5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?No he was not a stalker. I actually can't stand that word associated with this series. This is not a suspense/horror story so I hate when people point this out. My perception on this was Edward has been around for over a 100 years never finding the one that completes him and when he does she is human. We all know human life is fragile read the newspaper anything can happen to us. So I understand why he felt the need to keep her safe no matter what. He doesn't want to lose her. It is no different than a mother or father protecting their child from all harms way.
Banner by TammyAZ
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Right away! I'm a pretty paranoid person.. so her reaction is exactly how I would have handled that situation.. At the time, I wasn't thinking like.. oh Edward's going to come soon and save her! He had been gone and I didn't know he was obsessive about her..

I wasn't worried that Edward was going to hurt Bella or anything, but he was just being so aggressive talking to her..

There were constant statements made in the book that hinted towards the mind reading. I wouldn't think of the mind reading thing as such a big deal to tell someone.. but I guess if you're a vampire too, you don't really want to draw attention to yourself in anyway to anone lol

I thought that maybe because they were soulmates and meant to be. That's how things work. My boyfriend is the guy who can make everyone laugh, and I'm the only one who makes him laugh :)

As weird as it sounds I loved it.. just because she is SO obsessed with him too. Edward even said he was just trying to keep her alive.. and when you care about someone so much and they're a magnet for trouble.. I imagine you'd be a little over protective too!
HollyMarie1984
Settled in Forks

Post by HollyMarie1984 »

I had a feeling that Edward was going to ruch in and rescue her

I think he controlled himself well given the situation. No I wasn't afraid of him nor was I worried for Bella.

Actually yes I was....probably because I am used to tv shows dragging things out for so long lol

honestly I had no idea!

not at all...I thought is was very sweet
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I was worried as soon as she told us there were thugs… And for Edward, she mentioned there was a silver Volvo parked near… I was thinking that she will meet him in the street, not walk into thugs…

I wasn’t afraid of him; I was so relieved that he showed up. I saddened that he has to fight his instinct to do thing right…

I known he was a vampire (why they write it in the cover? Stupid marketing…), but I didn’t know he can read mind. And for the fact that he says it quickly… there wasn’t a lot of possible explanation to give her. Even if she didn’t have guest that he was a vampire, he can tell her that part of his reality… That how I see it. At this point, he chooses to let her know that he can read mind to explain her a little part of his reality.

I didn’t have any theory… I just take it as a matter of fact and guest that can be useful later… :)

On my first reading, no, I didn’t care of this. It just plain cute! I understand that he may have come on Port Angeles. He was worried about her and she IS a magnet for trouble…

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157