Chapter 19: New

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
inhiding
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 19: New

Post by inhiding »

1. Bella mentions that she’ll have to tip Carlisle off about how the morphine effects the changing process if there’s ever a need to change someone again. Do you think there will be a need for the Cullens to change anyone in the future?
The fun thing about this is that it leaves possibilities open to the imagination. Sure, the family is paired off now, but remember how Alice sought them out, who's to say another vampire wouldn't seek out their coven, and then fall in love with another human.... the possibility is there.

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes? Honestly, the fact that she was able to focuse through all that distraction. If you were seeing so many new things at once, including new colors, and hearing things from MILES away, how could you not be assaulted by all the new noises and lights and colors? So to me, the fact that she wasn't completely distracted by all these things but within seconds, was able to focus, was what surprised me the most.

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to?
I think Bella had this idea that she was going to be practically feral, but almost all of them were, in fact, able to control themselves. Carlisle gained his control immediately. Rosalie never spilled human blood. Edward followed Carlisle's way at first (as a newborn) and I imagine Esme must have as well. Emmet made mistakes but for the most part, must have had some self-control. So given that, I think SHE thought she shouldn't be able to control her feelings, but there was some foreshadowing that she shouldn't turn completely wild. That, and the fact that as a human, Bella has always shown remarkable maturity, discipline, and self-control. If those traits were strengthened in her rebirth, then of course she was going to be a very different kind of newborn.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella? You know, the thing about Bella is that she's so far deep in her own mind,that she doesn't really have a sense of her physical self. So of course, this is totally in character with Bella.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

1. Bella mentions that she’ll have to tip Carlisle off about how the morphine effects the changing process if there’s ever a need to change someone again. Do you think there will be a need for the Cullens to change anyone in the future?
I dont think so, unless maybe Rosalie wants her own young child one day brought on by Bella's daughter. Otherwise no.

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes?
The clarity of everyting. I knew this would happen but for it to be so instant was what surprised me.

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to?
As she was such a controlled human before her transformation. Her heart has always been in the right place (pardon the pun). She is focused also on her surroundings, the Cullens, her baby so she is quite distracted with all the newness of everything.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella?
Definately in character as she was never one for admiring her appearence as a human. She had her self worked up that when she is transformed she would be a monster, and hadnt considered that she would be beautiful, like the rest of the Cullens.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Ishbel
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ishbel »

I think that its a good way to leave it completely open to the reader's interpretation, however I personally cannot see why they would need to (unless by chance they come across someone dying in the future that they need to turn for some reason although that seems a wee bit far fetched) seeing as how everyone is paired off and Nessie will have Jacob when she grows up who cannot be turned into a vampire anyway and will not age as long as he continues to transform into a wolf every now and then.

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes?

Her ability to focus so fast and ignore distractions was a bit of a surprise for me as I assumed she would find it very distracting & the new colour in the spectrum.

I think as she made the conscious choice to become a vampire without the desperate need (i.e. at her death bed) to prior to the point of actually becoming a vampire she had time to gear herself up to the idea of being unable to control her desires so she would be more prepared. Also when she was human she was a very caring character, who put others first and controlled her emotions so it would make sense for her to carry these traits into being a vampire.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella?

This in my opinion, very in character for Bella as she always came across as having quite low self esteem as she frequently made it clear while she was human that she believed she was a lot less pretty than Edward or the Cullens as a whole describing herself as average so she would definitely have found it hard to grasp.
Team Seth
holunder
Settled in Forks

Post by holunder »

Hm, I don't think so, because Carlisle said he wouldn't change more people. And there's no single vampire left, so...

Hm, the eight colour didn't surprise me, I thought it was ultraviolet light. And I got glasses about half a year ago, so I know the feeling when you can see sharp. I think it was her hearing. I mean, she could hear the music in an car on the highway!

I really have no idea. Maybe it is an second power of her.

Oh, cmon its Bella! Everytime she looks in an mirror, she doesn't recognize herself!
I love you.
That's why we're here.

Thanks for my avatar to kfkinslow02
cherrydarling1177
Settled in Forks

Post by cherrydarling1177 »

I think that pretty much depends on wheather or not Stephenie continues on with the series. LOL, ok, I know that's a lame answer. In all seriousness, it's hard to tell. You never really know. An interesting thought/question to ponder.

I'm not sure I would call it a "surprise" per se. I was more just fascinated with the idea of, "OMG Bella's FINALLY a vampire, I can't read this fast enough!" :P I do think her newborn self-control was quite amazing though, but then again she had lots of time to prepare herself mentally and we all know how much Bella lives in her private mind, so I'm sure that was one of the factors.

Mainly because she had years to prepare and was surrounded by vampires, etc. Also, her mind/shield has a lot to do with it.

This couldn't be MORE in character for Bella if she tried! She never thought and/or underestimated just how beautiful she was prior to the transformation. So IMO, this is sooooooooooo Bella.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

no, not unitl rennesme came along......then you have the whole mix up with the wolves and all so....maybe.

the cullens, somehow, were able to be MORE beautiful than they already were!! oh, and at the beginning of the chapter, she described like another color "that she had no name for" i thought that was pretty awesome!! :D

anticiation and will power....thats all!!!

a mix of both, because shes just changed and we dont know yet, or at least in this chapter, that her personality is changed or not. thought, i do think it totallly bella to not beileve what she was seeing.
Betting on Alice.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Ehh,.. maybe eventually. I'm sure the Cullens never thought they'd change someone after Emmett,.. expect the unexpected.

The extra color was a little different,.. it's so nice now to kind of get an idea of what it's like for the Cullens, how they see things and also how slow time seems to move,..

Possibly because she knew what to expect? Bella's always been a little different.

In character for sure,.. she never saw herself right, which most people don't. But I'm sure anyone who gets changed into a vampire and change drastically would not think it's them really.
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

This is my favourite chapter in Breaking Dawn! The whole transformation process is amazing - the way Bella adjusts and adapts to her new senses is beautiful to read and its also very reassuring to know that besides the looks, bloodlust and enormous strength, she actually is the exact same Bella. She still hates fashion, clothes, she still worries about everything, she's still very caring, considerate, too easy to take the blame etc. But now, the difference is that she fits in, she belongs in a world that she feels totally right in. It is sort of like she's discovering herself for the first time ever, and it's thrilling to read. I have to say, at first I was in two minds about Bella becoming a vampire - I was like, how can she just forget everything, i.e. her family, friendship with Jacob, education and become totally committed to a different lifestyle? But when you see her in this new environment, living this new life, it feels totally right. For the first time, she is totally comfortable with who she is and what she is doing.
Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to?
I think this is beacause, Bella is probably the first vampire in existence who actually chose this life. Most of them got their wills taken away from them - so they were uncontrollable, confused, angry, upset etc. But Bella has known for quite some time what she is getting herself into, and she knows what sort of vampire she wants to be. She knows she doesn't want to hurt people or kill people, she simply wants immortality with Edward. Also, Bella believes that if she wants something badly enough, she can control her instincts, and she wants not to be a killer. Bella enters the vampire world completely prepared for what she will feel and what it will bring her. She has time to deal with the possible consequences, and, moreover, she has a big vampire family to look out for her, help her, and protect her from herself. Also, because her reasons for wanting to become a vampire are mostly to do with her love and desire for Edward, this feeling and trait is intensified in her vampire life, and because that was such a dominant part of her desires in her human life, it is just as equal to her craving for blood when she's a vampire, allowing her to be easily distracted by just as strong an instinct.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I doubt it.

The "eighth color"... What on earth could it be?

Because she's Bella. Haha, she's always had that sort of self-control. It's not that surprising here.

In character -- she's never seen herself as beautiful before, so it's not surprising that she couldn't identify with the vampire in the mirror.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't think so. Everyone's paired up now!

That Edward was even more beautiful that before.

She was more prepared for this.

I think it's in character. Equating herself with beautiful is not something she is accustomed to.