Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby Susie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Jazz Girl wrote:Susie~ HAHAHA!! I actually loved Edward from the start. I find him utterly fascinating. And, I think you see small glimpses of the real Edward, ie the caring, gracious gentleman that he truly is when away from the tedium of petty high school crap. You see it almost immediately, even with Bella. In that first sort-of interaction in the cafeteria, he wants to step between Jessica and her snarky thoughts and Bella, protect her from Bella's pettiness. I think you are right in that it does give us such a deeper understanding of things that happen in Twilight, his reactions to her, his distance from her.


Jazzie - You found me! I agree about the high school social scene, how Edward hates it. My first emotional response in the first few pages is how he is a snob, not likeable (because I'm a human, and was once in a high school cafeteria), however, we quickly learn about him and YES we learn how much he hates himself. This is so important - the turning point is in Denali when he realizes he doesn't hate Bella, he hates himself. (I even got a little choked up when I read that.)

Bellsuz wrote:OH!! You've got to read the rest (unless you're trying to hold out of course!). I know what you mean as well about how Edward seemed unlikeable, but for me personally, I don't think it's him that's unlikeable...it's more like, it's kind of a wake up call to see how much Edward really dislikes himself. It controls his every move and thought. While we knew that about him, it was sort of a jolt to read it on paper. Personally (and I may be biased because I am totally about all things Edward) MS is my favorite piece of the puzzle if you will. I could read it forever if it went on that long. I loved reading what Edward heard in other people's heads and also what he thought about what they were thinking, lol! That was a tongue twister!!


Bellsuz - I love how you explain the theme of Edward's self-loathing! Since we have grown to love Edward, don't you just want to jump into the story and tell him to quit being so hard on himself?
Yes - I will read the rest, and soon, too! This discussion is great, but at this point, I have a limited range of what I can comment on! I'll read some more and then come back to this thread to post.
Image
User avatar
Susie
Frozen in Time
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby pennybug84 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:44 am

I have a question I've kind of been confused about. On page 144 Edward starts playing his piano again & writing Bella's lullaby. And it has Rosalies thoughts: "Edward is composing again? Rosalie thought, and her teeth clenched together in fierce resentment. In that moment, she slipped, and I could read all her underlying outrage. I saw why she was in such a poor temper with me. Why killing Isabella Swan had not bothered her conscience at all. With Rosalie, it was always about vanity."


But thinking back on what Rosalie says in Eclipse it go me thinking is the reason Rosalie reacts this way because she's upset that Edward is attracted to Bella & finds her beautiful when he didn't Rosalie? (How she explains it in Eclipse is better than I just did.) Is that what you guys got from reading it?
Image
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
User avatar
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor
 
Posts: 4087
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: hoping 2012 is better than 2011 was

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby ringswraith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 pm

pennybug84 wrote:I have a question I've kind of been confused about. On page 144 Edward starts playing his piano again & writing Bella's lullaby. And it has Rosalies thoughts: "Edward is composing again? Rosalie thought, and her teeth clenched together in fierce resentment. In that moment, she slipped, and I could read all her underlying outrage. I saw why she was in such a poor temper with me. Why killing Isabella Swan had not bothered her conscience at all. With Rosalie, it was always about vanity."


But thinking back on what Rosalie says in Eclipse it go me thinking is the reason Rosalie reacts this way because she's upset that Edward is attracted to Bella & finds her beautiful when he didn't Rosalie? (How she explains it in Eclipse is better than I just did.) Is that what you guys got from reading it?


That's exactly it, pennybug84. Essentially, Rosalie is so vain that she thought, since Edward didn't find her (the epitome of beauty) attractive, he wouldn't find anyone else attractive- least of all some human girl. It was a blow to her ego that Edward finally showed strong emotions for a woman, and that woman was not her (again, since she's the most beautiful one around, in her mind).
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby Openhome » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I would like to add to Rings excellent answer. Rosalie is forever locked in the mode of a woman scorned and beaten. She kept those memories on purpose, and I think perhaps she can't handle that kind of scorn because of her past pain as well. I'm not letting her off the hook, but to be changed because you were beaten, raped, and left for dead by your fiance would leave some pretty deep emotional scars on a shallow personality like hers. When she talks with Bella in Eclipse, we get a taste of both her shallowness (which she admits to) and her pain. As she mentioned, Edward's open disgust with her wounded her even further, even though he had every right to be angry that Carlisle had chosen someone like her to be immortal.
User avatar
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Chatting with Esme and giving her parenting advice

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby Susie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Well put!
Image
User avatar
Susie
Frozen in Time
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby pennybug84 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:39 am

Thanks for your input Openhome & ringswraith. :D

For the longest time I was confused on that part. But on my latest reading of Eclipse I finally thought I understood. Good to know you guys did too. (See one good thing about reading these books over & over again is seeing something new and understanding the characters better! :lol: )
Image
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
User avatar
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor
 
Posts: 4087
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: hoping 2012 is better than 2011 was

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby Susie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:08 pm

I am on page 140 now and I AM DYING!!!! I am a puddle.
The only reason I'm not done yet is because it is hard to read on my computer!

Some favorite lines:

"I could see how easy it would be to fall in love with Bella. It would be exactly like falling - effortless. Not letting myself love her was the opposite of falling, it was pulling myself up a cliff face, hand over hand, the task as grueling as if I had no more than mortal strength."

(first day back at school after Alice told him he was in love with Bella)

The scene when he sneaks into her room while she is sleeping is incredible.

"I could not feel the monster now, could not find him anywhere in me. Perhaps love had silenced him forever."

(after he hears Bella utter his name in her sleep)


I just had to express myself! Thank God for the Lexicon!
Image
User avatar
Susie
Frozen in Time
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby Jazz Girl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Susie wrote:I am on page 140 now and I AM DYING!!!! I am a puddle.
The only reason I'm not done yet is because it is hard to read on my computer!

Some favorite lines:

"I could see how easy it would be to fall in love with Bella. It would be exactly like falling - effortless. Not letting myself love her was the opposite of falling, it was pulling myself up a cliff face, hand over hand, the task as grueling as if I had no more than mortal strength."

(first day back at school after Alice told him he was in love with Bella)

The scene when he sneaks into her room while she is sleeping is incredible.

"I could not feel the monster now, could not find him anywhere in me. Perhaps love had silenced him forever."

(after he hears Bella utter his name in her sleep)


I just had to express myself! Thank God for the Lexicon!



Susie~ Oh ABSOLUTELY!!! There are so many many lines in MS that take your breath, your heart and your power of thought. I always knew how much, how deeply Edward loved Bella. But, once I read MS, it just became so much more....real. People always ask, would Edward have loved Bella if.... if she wasn't his singer, if he could read her mind, if she was x, y, or z. IN MS we have our answers. He tells us himself exactly how and why he loves her so amazingly. So beautiful. I love Edward's head.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Image
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
User avatar
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Rob's HalfwayHouse, shacked up with some FicWard.

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby MidnightSun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 am

HeY guys and gals

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me.... so in Stephenie Meyer's site it says

June 2008 Update: In response to the outrageous number of emails that I have received with questions concerning Midnight Sun, I talked to Stephenie this weekend and she asked me to let everyone know that Midnight Sun is her next project.She has not yet finished writing it (and there is no timeline set up, so we all need to put a lot of effort into being patient for a while longer), but she is definitely still planning on having it published. And, after Breaking Dawn comes out, Stephenie will have much more time to focus on writing Midnight Sun.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

but the letter where Stephenie states that she wasn't sure when she was going to pick it back up was written in August 2008 so I'm kinda trying not to jump the gun like I really want to!!! just wondering if anyone had any definite news either way
Image
MidnightSun
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Postby clpviolet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 am

MidnightSun wrote:HeY guys and gals

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me.... so in Stephenie Meyer's site it says

June 2008 Update: In response to the outrageous number of emails that I have received with questions concerning Midnight Sun, I talked to Stephenie this weekend and she asked me to let everyone know that Midnight Sun is her next project.She has not yet finished writing it (and there is no timeline set up, so we all need to put a lot of effort into being patient for a while longer), but she is definitely still planning on having it published. And, after Breaking Dawn comes out, Stephenie will have much more time to focus on writing Midnight Sun.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

but the letter where Stephenie states that she wasn't sure when she was going to pick it back up was written in August 2008 so I'm kinda trying not to jump the gun like I really want to!!! just wondering if anyone had any definite news either way


Recently, like a couple months ago she posted on her site that she is trying to get away from "vampires,etc." period. She wants to spend time with her family and just not think about MS. One day after enough time has passed (hopefully soon) she will get back to it. She basicly wants everyone to put it out of their minds cause all the pressure of EVERYONE asking about it is just not a good feeling to have when writing.....or something like that. Whenever she is over her "issues" she'll maybe feel like writing, finishing MS and then she will. She wants to want to write.....not write because we want her to finish. I think thats the jist of it. So as of now.....No news about MS.
Image
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
User avatar
clpviolet
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 am
Location: multi-tasking in my room

PreviousNext

Return to Odds and Ends

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron