Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by openfire »

Susie wrote:CH said it was challenging for the actors to do this dramatic scene without having built up their characters yet. THOUGHTS?
Yeah I totally agree. I mean that scene in the film is so woah! :lol: I mean, Bella has to really show that she cares for Edward beyond anything...and of course, when Edward swoops in to rescue her, he has to show that he only cares for Bella's safety. That must have been difficult to act when they hardly knew one another and they hadn't had long to get into Bella and Edward's head. I think the ballet studio scene is one of the best in the film, so they all really done a wonderful job to have this great chemistry so close to the start of shooting the film.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

openfire wrote:
Susie wrote:CH said it was challenging for the actors to do this dramatic scene without having built up their characters yet. THOUGHTS?
Yeah I totally agree. I mean that scene in the film is so woah! :lol: I mean, Bella has to really show that she cares for Edward beyond anything...and of course, when Edward swoops in to rescue her, he has to show that he only cares for Bella's safety. That must have been difficult to act when they hardly knew one another and they hadn't had long to get into Bella and Edward's head. I think the ballet studio scene is one of the best in the film, so they all really done a wonderful job to have this great chemistry so close to the start of shooting the film.
Susie & Jaclyn~ I'm inclined to agree. I think this was one of CH's weaknesses as a director. How you can schedule filming the emotional climax of the film at the very beginning (I think it was literally the 3rd or 4th day of shooting) is beyond me. I know that they are professionals and, when I look back I think they did a fantastic job. But, at the same time, it handicaps them as actors I think. Ability and pathos can only take you so far. I can't imagine the differences we'd see in this scene if she'd moved it slightly in the schedule. That wouldn't have been a problem either, even with Cam's schedule. You merely shoot it in pieces, shooting Cam and Rob's scenes at one point, and revisiting Rob and Kris' scenes at a later time.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SadieElla
Settled in Forks

Post by SadieElla »

I was so happy when I was seeing the movie. It wasn't until weeks later that I was so disappointed. At first, I was just so happy to have ANYTHING that had the same sort of plot on that screen. And here's one problem I saw in the movie, which I blame on the director:

Okay, so I see Bella as the girl from The Princess Diaries. They're both very smart and clumsy, they both had the other students' attention, they both had close relationships with their mothers, bite their nails, thought they weren't very attractive, etc. So, I pictured Princess Mia as Bella.

So I went to the movies hoping to see Bella. I was so excited, and I was in Pennsylvania with my sister and brother. Everything was perfect. I waited the whole movie to see Bella, but she was never really there. Instead, there was this confused looking, frazzled girl. She was so unsure of things. She was so fragile and quiet. Which, you could say, is sort of a part of Bella, but it's not really who she is as a character.

Bella is partly sarcastic, stubborn, mature for her age, speaks when she wants to be heard, responsible, and independent character. The other part of her character is clumsy, accident prone, and physically, but not mentally, weak. And I think Kristen focused more on the second part of Bella, rather than the first. And it's not really her fault, it's the director's.

It's the director's responsibility to bring his or her vision to the screen. If one of the actors or actresses does something to mess with the vision, they're supposed to fix it. And if that movie is really how she saw the book, maybe she didn't read the book, or maybe she didn't understand it. Whatever the reason, her vision, in my opinion, wasn't as fantastic and perfect as Stephenie's. And it isn't that hard to make Twilight into a movie, because Stephenie practically wrote it like a movie.. A very, very long movie..

Bahh. I'm done ranting.

The short version is: I went to the theatre expecting to see someone I saw as my idol on screen, but my idol was kidnapped and replaced with someone really lame. I really, really hope at some point Kristen Stewart will actually act like Bella. She's able to act like Bella, I know she's fully capable, but she isn't. I seriously just want to go on set to correct her, and say, "No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong. Do it like this! Like a furious kitten that thinks it's a lion! Not like an angry awkward Canadian goose! D="
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Jazz Girl wrote:That wouldn't have been a problem either, even with Cam's schedule. You merely shoot it in pieces, shooting Cam and Rob's scenes at one point, and revisiting Rob and Kris' scenes at a later time. [/color]
Yes, but shooting it that way, in doing some of the ballet studioe scenes over here and some over there, isn't necessarily going to make it any easier, if they don't have the buildup of the previous scenes to help their character arcs at that point, considering the events that lead to Rob and Kristen's scenes. It would present its own difficulties, just as filming those scenes first did. Also, it would be hugely expensive to film Cam's stuff in the ballet studio, and then come back weeks later and set the whole thing up again to shoot Rob and Kris' stuff then.
SadieElla wrote:It's the director's responsibility to bring his or her vision to the screen. If one of the actors or actresses does something to mess with the vision, they're supposed to fix it. And if that movie is really how she saw the book, maybe she didn't read the book, or maybe she didn't understand it.

It's all interpretation, though. She might say that you were the one who didn't understand it. We all have our different interpretations of the subtleties that make up Bella Swan. We all see her slightly differently. I don't think there was ever going to be a version of her onscreen that met up to everyone's expectation. That's impossible, because everyone has different expectations.
SadieElla wrote:Whatever the reason, her vision, in my opinion, wasn't as fantastic and perfect as Stephenie's. And it isn't that hard to make Twilight into a movie, because Stephenie practically wrote it like a movie.. A very, very long movie..

I don't know if it is quite as easy as we'd like to think. SM's book is dialogue-heavy, something that doesn't usually work too well in movies. Cuts were certainly inevitable, and some changes can make it better, like moving the revelation of Bella telling Edward she knows he's a vampire from a car into a forest, which is a much more visual setting.
JanaryRain
Settled in Forks

Post by JanaryRain »

Plain and simple the movies could have been done much better. I wish they were more bad-a. Instead i found them intensely juvenile. I realize the books are young adult therefore the movies would be too, but i'm finding myself rolling my eyes more then taking the movie seriously.