General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: The Quileutes ~A.K.A. The La Push Gang

Post by ringswraith »

Of course that assumes that their bodies don't adapt to their new circumstances. Seeing as the tribe still has kids, then the male wolves are most definitely not sterile. So I don't agree that Leah is either.

I also don't buy the "not changing" aspect of that argument (re: Leah). If their bodies no longer change, then why would they still need air, or have beating hearts? They'd be just like the vampires at that point.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I also agree that Leah's body hasn't exactly stopped changing, but she is infertile (for now). Her period has stopped while she's phasing, and if you're unable to have a period for whatever reason, you're unable to have children. But I also agree that she isn't infertile forever...just until she stops phasing and gets her period back.

It would also make sense that if the wolves normal temp is higher than most men, then the temp at which sperm can surivive would be higher also. Then again it could be that whole SM and science problem lol.
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

The males bodies could have adapted to their new temp, but the women's bodies haven't. The wolves sperm is still going to have to swim up the v#gina (why can't I say this word? It's the proper word for that part of the female anatomy. Why can I say uterus and not v#gina?) into the uterus, and try to fertilize the egg. The eggs won't be designed to deal with the extra heat. Temperature is very important when it comes to conception.

You can still get pregnant without getting your period. When you're breast feeding, you might not get your period, but you're still ovulating. My human sexuality professor's second child was conceived that way. You can get pregnant without having a period. You can also have a period and still be infertile.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

suzzeeQ wrote:The males bodies could have adapted to their new temp, but the women's bodies haven't.
With all due respect, we don't know this for a fact. Leah's the first female shapeshifter- ever, apparently- so who's to say what her body has and hasn't done?

And as you pointed out, she could still be ovulating, and thus still get pregnant. Or perhaps, as Leah believes, she really is a "dead-end" and she really can't conceive. This is mostly speculation.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

I wasn't talking about Leah. I was talking about the imprints- the women who will be having sex with their imprinters and making babies. I've should have made that more clear.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

suzzeeQ wrote:I wasn't talking about Leah. I was talking about the imprints- the women who will be having sex with their imprinters and making babies. I've should have made that more clear.
Then how would the tribe have continued to have children? All the wolf "bloodlines" should have died out.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

I'm not debating what happened; I'm debating what should have been possible. Scientifically, it shouldn't have happened. Eggs are temperature sensitive and extra hot sperm should have killed the egg, thus not creating a baby. In my opinion, not enough research was done to ensure this made sense. The males SHOULD be infertile for the duration of the time they phase; that doesn't mean they are.

Other men in the tribe could have had the gene, but because there wasn't enough vampires in the area, they never phased. They continued to pass on the werewolf gene without actually phasing themselves. That's why there are so many now.

Plus, the wolves' piping hot semen probably damage, if not destroy, their imprints uteruses.
Last edited by suzzeeQ on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Still doesn't fit given that we have people who are directly descended from members of the previous Pack (Ephraim and company), which means men who have phased have had kids. I'm of the opinion that it's useless to bring science into these discussions as they really won't go anywhere. :)
SunnySummerSunshine

Post by SunnySummerSunshine »

Sorry, but I think that science is not reliable in this topic because the Twilight Saga is entirely fictional and fantasy to begin with. :(
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

There is a thread dedicated to the Science in Twilight on the Lex with 41 pages. Smeyer tried to use chromosomes (biology) to try to explain the wolves and Renameme (the 24 chromosomes thing).