Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Pet

Post by December »

This is a thread for talking about Pet. Was it ok for the humans to turf her out of her host body without asking (and banish her to a distant planet) so that Wanderer could have it ? Or has she been terribly wronged?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Belice
Settled in Forks

Re: Pet

Post by Belice »

Well, all I know is that Wanda had to be saved somehow. I think Pet made a good choice, especially for Ian, although she did say she had family & friends where she lived (on earth). " My name is Petals to the Sun (?), but my friends & family just call me Pet." I don't know if that was fair to them. As for the "banishment"...I don't think you can call going to a better place a banishment. What I'd call a better place anyway.

Belice
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

Hmm. My first reaction is that she was not wronged for losing the body; she can live in any body, they might be interchangeable to her. But then I remember how so many of the Souls seem to react strongly to being human, so I suppose that Pet did miss out on having a human experience. But fundamentally, the body was never hers to take in the first place. I do feel badly that she had to experience fear and mistrust.

That said, I do find the whole thing creepy. A friend of mine wondered why Wanderer wasn't placed into Ian's body. Presumably he'd be strong enough to share the mental space with her. That way a human could voluntarily co-exist with a host and no human body would have to be sacrificed to a host consciousness. The ending in the book was a bit too pat, too much of a cop-out. I don't know, maybe the Souls need really advanced robots to inhabit. But they have no right to a body with a consciousness.

How about Pet's flower planet? Did the humans wrong a Flower by sending an extra Soul their way?
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Belice wrote:Well, all I know is that Wanda had to be saved somehow. I think Pet made a good choice, especially for Ian, although she did say she had family & friends where she lived (on earth).
I disagree. Pet seems to me too fragile. I think that Pet is sort of an excuse for Wanda not to work, although I know she wants to and she had no choice. But Pet is too little and too cute and everything that she can't really do anything in the caves. and I think that Jared, Mel and Jamie made a bad choice.
I don't get why do you think that it is a good choice for Ian...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

The girlie-wolf wrote:
Belice wrote:Well, all I know is that Wanda had to be saved somehow. I think Pet made a good choice, especially for Ian, although she did say she had family & friends where she lived (on earth).
I disagree. Pet seems to me too fragile. I think that Pet is sort of an excuse for Wanda not to work, although I know she wants to and she had no choice. But Pet is too little and too cute and everything that she can't really do anything in the caves. and I think that Jared, Mel and Jamie made a bad choice.
And I agree with you- Wanda herself wants to help alot and the body really didnt let her do it. I think that Mel should have picked, after all she spent ages getting to know what she wanted.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Total Twilight Fan wrote:
The girlie-wolf wrote:
And I agree with you- Wanda herself wants to help alot and the body really didnt let her do it. I think that Mel should have picked, after all she spent ages getting to know what she wanted.
Excatly! Mel needed to know which body to pick, but instead I think she did a really bad job....
And Jammie and Jared too...
But Ian was so incredibly cute that he gourded Wanda like this and never left her side ♥
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

The girlie-wolf wrote:
The girlie-wolf wrote:
Excatly! Mel needed to know which body to pick, but instead I think she did a really bad job....
But Ian was so incredibly cute that he gourded Wanda like this and never left her side ♥
You know that Ian would have loved Wanda regardless though, so Mel should have picked as she knew her better in my opinion. But then again, I did like Pet's body. I thought it was sweet, but not Wanda. I felt sorry for Pet.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

The girlie-wolf wrote:
The girlie-wolf wrote:
You know that Ian would have loved Wanda regardless though, so Mel should have picked as she knew her better in my opinion. But then again, I did like Pet's body. I thought it was sweet, but not Wanda. I felt sorry for Pet.
Yes, But I think that he would have been happier if she looked more like herself...Pet was sweet but I don't like her or her body... actually- I don't like any soal that is a real soal (not like Wanda or Burns).. They are too "perfect"
aussiesgrl
Settled in Forks

Post by aussiesgrl »

i really dont like 'Pet' for Wanda. I got used to wanda in mels body where she was strong and did everything she could to help out. She didnt worry about getting dirty or hurt so long as she did everything she could. Wanda was way stronger then Pet even before mel. im just really disapointed about pet.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

A mod's request...We really appreciate it if everyone tries to minimize the amount of text they quote, and avoid enormous nests of embedded quotations. Just quote the lines you’re specifically replying to: it makes your point clearer, and it means a lot less scrolling for everyone else to get to your contribution. The boards are a lot easier to read when everyone takes the trouble to quote selectively!

If you're not sure how to do this, check out How To Quote Parts of a Post in the Newborn in Seattle forum. You'll find detailed instructions there.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”