Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by openfire »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
Yeah I do. But I understand why she's doing it. She can't bear to leave Edward, to never see him again if he were to get hurt. She knows it's selfish, but she would do anything to make sure they don't lose each other. If anything were to happen to the rest of the Cullens tho, I don't think she'd ever forgive herself.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
I think he is thinking of the last time he left her, in New Moon. Perhaps seeing what she was like when they found her in the woods, since Jacob showed this to him. Althought, it may be a mixture of a few emotions...sadness (both about leaving Bella and that he is not going to be able to fight), guilt (for leaving Bella before, and for leaving his family in the fight over his Bella).

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
I think they do believe it is trivial. But I'm with Bella and think they need to take more care and be more cautious!!

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
I'm not sure. Maybe cos he can't talk and say the annoying stuff to her?? LOL. Just kidding. Not sure.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
Yes. But I understand completely why she did it. I know how it feels and I would ask him the same thing...I can be selfish like that too. Just imagining him in danger...if you can get him away from it...then no matter what, you do.
2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
He saw that she felt guilty about asking him and that she was super worried about him and thinking about when he left her, and he decided that if that's what she needed, he would do it.
3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
They're pretty confident it won't be a problem, with the wolves. They know it's possible something could go wrong, but even if they have doubts, there's no way they're going to tell Bella because that would just make everything worse.
4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
It's the way he naturally is, not moody and pressuring her to change her mind like he does when he's human. He's not his older, post-werewolf human self. And he can't talk. :lol:
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Somewhat,.. but I'm on her side. She gave her two options she could live with and Edward picked the one he could live with. I loved that!

Swoon... He loves her,.. he's going to look in her eyes everyday,.. Edward is usually thinking the opposite of what I am,.. so I'm not sure what he was thinking. Maybe the sadness that she had when he left her; maybe he realizes how much it really will hurt her to have her just waiting, not knowing what's going on.

I'm pretty sure they were telling the truth. Obviously they realize the danger, but they are taking precautions and preparing. I think they feel 100x better with the wolves on their side now.

He can't talk! lol I'm not sure,.. he was always so nice and sweet to her and it was almost like the werewolf transformation thing made him bipolar-ish. Now that he can't talk they can just make it easier.
jonilee73
Settled in Forks

Post by jonilee73 »

I can't say that it was selfish, simply because I know that I would do the same thing.

I think he was feeling regret that he had to sit out the fight, frustration at her for asking, but also love and sympathy for Bella. He loves her so much he can't bear to hurt her by refusing to stay with her. It's an odd mix of emotions, so it would be hard to read his expression.

If they weren't confident in their chances, Edward never would have agreed to sit out. I think they are nervous, but Edward never would have left his family if he truly believed they needed him.

She was so comfortable with him before and he changed so much after Edward came back. He started to become pushy about his feelings for Bella, but as a wolf, he can't talk. He can be there to comfort her and understand the way he used to and his pushyness can't break the peacefulness.
Forbidden to remember, terrifed to forget
You compare one small tree to the entire forest.

Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Yes, but understandable

Regret, or guilt, knowing how she felt when he left the last time and not wanting to cause that to her again.

They really believe it.

He can't talk, so he can't be sarcastic or mean.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Yes, I thought it was. But I do understand her fear.

He was probably worried about the rest of his family, knowing that if he didn't fight, they were in more danger. At the same time, he was feeling bad because it brought back memories of leaving Bella, and he only wanted her happiness. I think there were lots of things going through his mind at that moment.

They're definitely trying to make Bella feel better.

Because he doesn't talk. LOL.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No. He's made it clear that there's no real danger now the wolves are in, and I always thought it was a better idea that they stayed together. As Bella pointed out in the movie version of this scene, it's dangerous for them to be apart.

I think he's assessing how much of this is really to do with his having left her in New Moon. I think he can't work it out, but realises that it's irrelevant. She needs him, and that's all that matters.

I think they really believe it. There's no way Edward would agree to sit out if he thought the danger was real.

I agree with Bella. It's a lot to do with the fact that he can't ruin it by opening his mouth and saying something to spoil everything. He's just there for her, which is how it used to be.