General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Imprinting

Post by BreathelessVampire »

psugar wrote:I feel sad for Claire and Nessie, I mean who would want to find their true love that young I can picture it.
"How long have you guys been together?"
Nessie:Since the day I was born

That ought to be a great conversation starter.

I love that! Haha. "Since the day I was born"
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I do love the idea of imprinting, it shows that love can take many forms, and doesn't always have to be straight up intimate that it can evolve and change and grow, though it does get a bit creepy sometimes
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I will have to admit one thing I like about the imprinting is that Jacob will be there with Nessie while she grows up and they will be able to share things and learn about each other in ways they wouldn't if they had only met when she was older.
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I really love the idea of imprinting because it gives you the ability to have someone perfect in your life for you. It ia kind of a weird concept but then you will at least have someone your drawn to that you can share your life with. Even in Jacob and Renesmee's case, where he imprinted on her, he has the time and patience to wait for her to mature and wait for the true love to be truely realized. Likewise with Quil and Claire. I just think that imprinting is a good way to find your soulmate without the hassle of dating.
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Imprinting is, first and foremost, to pass on the werewolf gene.

^The above has absolutely nothing to do with personality. Which means, Jacob's wolfiness sensed that Renesmee was the strongest vampire-baby he could pass the gene onto along with his strongest-shapeshifter genes, and he imprinted on her.

People say it has to do with your 'perfect match', but that has nothing to do with the *purpose* of imprinting— which is to pass on the gene.

Therefore, Renesmee is just a tool, and Jacob is just a tool— they're both being used to create this monstrous super-baby. It's kind of strange.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
DestinedForHogwarts
Settled in Forks

Post by DestinedForHogwarts »

Amivera wrote:Imprinting is, first and foremost, to pass on the werewolf gene.

^The above has absolutely nothing to do with personality. Which means, Jacob's wolfiness sensed that Renesmee was the strongest vampire-baby he could pass the gene onto along with his strongest-shapeshifter genes, and he imprinted on her.

People say it has to do with your 'perfect match', but that has nothing to do with the *purpose* of imprinting— which is to pass on the gene.

Therefore, Renesmee is just a tool, and Jacob is just a tool— they're both being used to create this monstrous super-baby. It's kind of strange.
actually, this was just a theory that leah had and there is no way of proving it. you seem to have a very skeptical view of it. we have no idea why werewolves imprint and i think it definately has more to do with love than you say it does. i doubt that sam considers emily a tool and i doubt that jacob considers renesmee a tool. we even got to see imprinting through jacob's eyes and he didnt think 'oh, she would make one hell of a werewolf baby.' jacob thinks that renesmee is the center of his universe and the only one worth living for.
as for me, i love the idea of imprinting. i wish we could just know who our soulmate is by looking at them. i think it is a very powerful love that goes above the natural. so i am all for it! :D
AVH
Settled in Forks

Post by AVH »

Imprinting is an interesting concept.

It's a legitimate animal behaviour, which I find makes for a nice comparison. I.e. 'Real Life vs. Twilight.'

Konrad Lorenz first experimented with imprinting using Goslings. He took eggs that hadn't been hatched yet, and made sure that he was the first thing they saw upon leaving the egg. As a result, the goslings imprinted on him, and recognized him as their mother. I could go on about how they would then refuse to mate or interact with their own species, instead attempting to court other humans, and how that could possibly be applied to Jacob, but I digress (as in, will he abandon his own kinds for vampires or half vampire after imprinting on one?).

The thing that I find most interesting, is that Konrad Lorenz discovered that animals only imprint within a "critical period." This is a short period of time when an animal is first born. An animal won't imprint after this period. In Meyer's novel, the wolves can imprint at any time in their lives, even late into their lives. Whether this is intentional or not, it provides an interesting contrast between reality and fiction, and adds another subconscious layer of distinction between what we're reading, and what is commonly accepted.

=] Biology FTW.

~AVH
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

Amivera wrote:Imprinting is, first and foremost, to pass on the werewolf gene.

I like this theory, it happens in nature kind of, the female lion takes the more agile male.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
AD523
Settled in Forks

Post by AD523 »

I understand what you are saying but I don't think the imprinter (not sure if that's a word but you get my point) looks at it that way. If you remember how Jacob described Quil when he was playing with Claire on the beach. She was giving him hell and hitting him in the head with rocks and he was loving every minute of it. I think that once they imprint they really do love to make their imprintee happy. So, it's not like they have a problem giving them whatever they want.

I love using the word imprinter and imprintee...it makes it sound so official lol
I see your point and agree that they love to make their imprintee happy. I can appreciate that. The main point I was trying to make was: would you want to be the one doing the imprinting? I've heard a lot of people saying (including people I know) that they would love to have someone imprint on them. I just think it's important to see both sides of the issue. From the imprinter's and imprintee's point of view.
Lauren
Settled in Forks

Post by Lauren »

I had some really mixed feelings about the imprinting thing altogether. On one hand, it's of course really romantic that from seeing someone for the first time, the werewolf knows that this is the partner they are destined to spend the rest of their days with. However, I wonder whether those who are imprinted upon, ever think that it doesn't say anything about the emotions of the person doing the imprinting, just that they are in love with you and have no choice in the matter.
Though, all sides considered, it was a nice touch in the novels as it was a contrast between different types of love within the books: the love between Bella and Edward was difficult, took a lot of work and there were a lot of problems to overcome due to it; while those imprinted loves were, quite literally, effortless.