Discrepancies

A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Discrepancies

Postby December » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Does Bree's story dovetail perfectly with the events described in Eclipse? Or have you noticed any discrepancies?
Image
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
User avatar
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:09 am
Location: Putting the "Longa" into Ars Longa....

Re: Discrepancies

Postby Edwards Ragazza » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Andypalmer I think I know why you created this. I won't say I will let you get it out since you wanted this thread. If it doesn't match with mine then I will post my thoughts.
Image
Banner by TammyAZ
User avatar
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby andypalmer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 pm

OK - after re-reading the section in Eclipse, it's not a gaping as I had thought originally. In my mind at least, Riley's story of getting Bella's clothing didn't jive with my memory of the event; as in, I remembered more than one Vampire being involved - one in the house and one waiting with a "get away car."

Re-reading the section, it says that he "Had a car waiting," so I guess I may have read more into that than there should be. Weird, read something seven times and the same impression stays...
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Discrepancies

Postby Edwards Ragazza » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Andy I can understand why you would think that. I think us fans have read this series so many times we do know every detail. Could be a slip on SM's part however I can't blame her for remember every detail on her series especially if she is working on other things right now. Maybe the person who was the driver ended up getting into a fight and killed by another newborn since they were attacking each other.

My discrepancy was Did Edward hear Bree when she was trying to tell him about the Volturi? Or did he not hear because he was so blocked everything out after what just happened and was focusing on Bella? Because I never had the impression that Bree was talking to Edward the whole time the Volturi were there.
Image
Banner by TammyAZ
User avatar
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby MiVidaLoca » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 am

I think he for sure would have been listening to Bree because Bree was having such a hard time controlling herself.They can focus on many things as Edward said in Eclipse when telling Jacob how he can constantly be thinking about him and Bella but also other things. Edward would have wanted to know if Bree would make a move. Also, he interrupted the Volturi when Jane first was saying to kill her to say Bree could join them, that she didn't seem unwilling, and in both books he then looks at Carlisle and it seemed like Carlisle was caught off guard (as in, it wasn't his thoughts right at the moment but that Edward looked at him to go along with it because Carlisle was well respected in being able to tame new vampires as he did it with 3 of his own), but was right on board. But reading what Bree was thinking from that book, it would go right along with it. Now I always thought the close your eyes was for Bella, and Bree thought it was for her, I guess we will never know that.

Also his snippet to Jane and the timing, it seems came from Bree's thoughts. In eclipse I assumed it was something he was reading from Jane but it can go from either now getting this perspective.

It's to bad we can't get all the books from Edwards POV then we would know what was going on with everyone around Edward.

But reading the other book and just reading Eclipse again, I can see it flowing together.
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby andypalmer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 am

I must admit to having had a few errant thoughts during that scene. While Edward is more than capable of reading Bree's mind while tending to Bella, I have to wonder why the additional information of the contact between the Volturi and Victoria never came up. With Eclipse alone, we are left with the impression that the Volturi allowed "Seattle" to happen, hoping for damage to the Cullens, but to actually have set them against their target, meeting without dispensing justice, is an act that completely crosses the line. Convenient tardiness is one thing, but blatant double-dealing is something else entirely. I would have thought that, had this been known, that Carlisle or Edward would have brought it up in BD, in front of the two score witnesses; they could have won without needing Alice's surprise and caused serious damage to the Volturi's credibility, seriously tarnishing their "white hats", to borrow the Romanians phrasing.

I can only conclude that, despite Bree's efforts and intentions, that Edward didn't catch those thoughts and therefore was knowledgeable only of Jane's deliberate delay, not her clandestine complicity.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Discrepancies

Postby Edwards Ragazza » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:31 pm

MiVidaLoca wrote:
It's to bad we can't get all the books from Edwards POV then we would know what was going on with everyone around Edward.



Edwards pov is the only one that I want to hear for the whole saga too. I think if it was all the characters it would seem a little redundant.
Image
Banner by TammyAZ
User avatar
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby MiVidaLoca » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:45 pm

andypalmer wrote:I must admit to having had a few errant thoughts during that scene. While Edward is more than capable of reading Bree's mind while tending to Bella, I have to wonder why the additional information of the contact between the Volturi and Victoria never came up. With Eclipse alone, we are left with the impression that the Volturi allowed "Seattle" to happen, hoping for damage to the Cullens, but to actually have set them against their target, meeting without dispensing justice, is an act that completely crosses the line. Convenient tardiness is one thing, but blatant double-dealing is something else entirely. I would have thought that, had this been known, that Carlisle or Edward would have brought it up in BD, in front of the two score witnesses; they could have won without needing Alice's surprise and caused serious damage to the Volturi's credibility, seriously tarnishing their "white hats", to borrow the Romanians phrasing.

I can only conclude that, despite Bree's efforts and intentions, that Edward didn't catch those thoughts and therefore was knowledgeable only of Jane's deliberate delay, not her clandestine complicity.



I don't agree, they didn't want a fight. They didn't want to provoke the volturi and if they started throwing out accusations that is exactly what would have happened. They didn't have any proof that the Volturi tried to help destroy them. Reading it in Bree's thoughts isn't solid proof. The Volturi would have found a way to say it didn't happen. Aro wouldn't hold Carlisle hand to see the truth because he said he could still deceive with his thoughts. They felt that any fight would have resulted in lose of friends and family, even if they somehow did win. They wanted the Volturi gone. They know the volturi are shady people, marcus told them in BD how they would find charges, break ties and create ties to get the ones they want. The one person said they have the gift to see who is lying and said Aro was lying. Yet still, no one stood up. When you have that much fear over instilled over people, when push comes to shove, it's not going to be many that stand up. Those newborns were instilled to fear the sun and look what they did even when the proof was there that the sun couldn't hurt them.

I think if the Cullens would have tried to Provoke them with old allegations that they had no proof of at the scene in BD than the Volturi would have put it down and than brought up their own allegations that the Cullens made this stuff up to try and over take the Volturi etc. etc. That's how I see it.
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby MiVidaLoca » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Edwards Ragazza wrote:
MiVidaLoca wrote:
It's to bad we can't get all the books from Edwards POV then we would know what was going on with everyone around Edward.



Edwards pov is the only one that I want to hear for the whole saga too. I think if it was all the characters it would seem a little redundant.



Yeah with Edwards, then we can know about everyone, (well except bella of course) We would know what Jane was thinking, Bree was thinking, Aro, Alice, everyone. So we would have all our answers.

This new book gave us a look into the newborns and that side, which Edward couldn't have done since he wasn't there, so that was nice. But as far as the actual Twilight Saga books, having them in Edwards POV would really be awesome. I don't think it would ever happen though unfortunately even though I guarantee that any twilight fans would go buy them. It would be a tedious task for SM for sure though!
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Discrepancies

Postby andypalmer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 pm

MiVidaLoca wrote:I think if the Cullens would have tried to Provoke them with old allegations that they had no proof of at the scene in BD than the Volturi would have put it down and than brought up their own allegations that the Cullens made this stuff up to try and over take the Volturi etc. etc. That's how I see it.
Oh, I'm not saying to use it to provoke a fight, but I think there were a few key moments in Aro's show, when he was trying to take the moral high ground with the audience, that an inquiry, "if you're so concerned with protecting vampire kind, then why did Jane and members of your guard meet with the creator the newborns that were creating so much havoc in Seattle? My friends and I managed to take care of the problem, but your guard were there almost a week before hand and did nothing but encourage Victoria. How does my grand-daughter create more risk for our kind than the acts of your own guard?" Nothing to initiate a fight (as Aro couldn't afford to attack in response as it would be seen as validating Carlisle's comments), but certainly enough to quiet down the crowd of witnesses even earlier. If done early enough, it might even have prevented Irina's death.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Next

Return to Walking Around in the Newbie's Shoes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests