A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Diego

Post by December »

A thread for discussing Diego. Because such an awesome guy deserves a thread of his own.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
JustMe44
Settled in Forks

Re: Diego

Post by JustMe44 »

I am trying to figure out why Diego was so interested in exposing himself to the sun or why he would even risk the chance. I would also really like to know why some of the vampires are just completely not so evil (other than drinking human blood). The other ones besides Bree, Diego, & Fred were all crazy. I wonder what factor (whether general or specific) from their previous life contributes to their behavior in their vapire life.

I also would like to hear everyone's thoughts on why animal blood never crosses their minds, or is it really just that unappealing or repulsive or are they so consumed with the 'frenzy' of human blood that it never even crosses their minds. I just don't get why they feel they HAVE to drink human blood and don't even consider alternative methods. I think what I'm really trying to understand is how they can go from being human with having regards to human life to being a vampire but so reluctant to take human life.
GO VOLS!!
December

Post by December »

I think what I'm really trying to understand is how they can go from being human with having regards to human life to being a vampire but so reluctant to take human life.

Oh golly. There's been so much discussion of this over the years. If you're interested, you might have a look through the old TUGMP threads on the Lex Archives. Or have a look at what Stephenie says in PC #12.

I think the short answer to why none of them thinks of trying animal blood is that to a vampire, animal blood is really really unappetizing. To us, it might seem like a natural substitute (blood is blood, right?), but to them it barely seems like food at all. And does almost nothing to quench the pain and thirst. As Edward says, it can help make them strong enough to resist, but it doesn't really address the craving at all.
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

JustMe44 wrote:I am trying to figure out why Diego was so interested in exposing himself to the sun or why he would even risk the chance. I would also really like to know why some of the vampires are just completely not so evil (other than drinking human blood). The other ones besides Bree, Diego, & Fred were all crazy. I wonder what factor (whether general or specific) from their previous life contributes to their behavior in their vapire life.

I also would like to hear everyone's thoughts on why animal blood never crosses their minds, or is it really just that unappealing or repulsive or are they so consumed with the 'frenzy' of human blood that it never even crosses their minds. I just don't get why they feel they HAVE to drink human blood and don't even consider alternative methods. I think what I'm really trying to understand is how they can go from being human with having regards to human life to being a vampire but so reluctant to take human life.
I think Diego just didn't believe Riley, and knowing the truth was important to him. I'm not sure why he stood out in the shade in the first place, but it was clever of him to figure out that human vampire legends were probably not the most reliable source of information about vampires.

Newborns are bloodthirsty and Riley was deliberately selecting thugs.

I also don't get the lack of empathy for humans. Yes yes, they're gods, but I thought it was cool how uncomfortable Bree was in the bookstore, remembering her experiences in similar places as a human. It had never occurred to me before that they might actually have to actively suppress their humanity in order to live their vampire lives.

Can anyone tell me why Riley thought knowing about the sun was worthy of a death sentence? Possibilities are that if word got out, it might disband the group. It might discredit Riley. But the group was about to attack the Cullens anyways, and Diego would have kept quiet out of loyalty to Riley... I almost think that Diego was punished simply for thinking independently.

Also, props to Diego for not revealing that BREE knew about the sun; otherwise I can only assume that she too would have been killed. He was a great character, and I wish that Bree would have trusted her gut and run off with Fred when she had the chance.
December

Post by December »

vampball wrote: It had never occurred to me before that they might actually have to actively suppress their humanity in order to live their vampire lives.

It's a nice touch that, isn't it? Yes, the bloodlust pretty much wipes out every other thought when it's in the ascendancy -- but in those moments between, a decent person like Bree has twinges. Some spark of regret for their lost humanity lives on, until finally worn away by time and habituation. Definitely suggests that she'd have made it as a veggie vamp if she'd lived...(see the What If? thread).
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

My questions are: what exactly went down when Diego caught up with Riley to tell him about his discovery of the sun? The only logical explanation that forms in my head is that Riley didn't know about the sun too and therefore took Diego to Victoria to share this fascinating news with her. Thinking it was too dangerous for him to go back to the rest of the Newborns, I guess she decided to kill him off right then and there. Unless Riley didn't like Diego as much as he claimed to have and heartlessly misled Diego to be killed as well...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I really loved Diego. He was such an awesome guy!!! I hated when he went to tell Riley & then never came back. I was really sad!!!! :( I wish he & Bree had left when they could.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

I couldn't help but hope right along with Bree that Diego had somehow survived, right up to the end. I just wanted to think it was possible that the few good newborns would get their happy ending. :(

Diego was a really amazing character for a number of reasons. I kind of got the feel that he was a more playful, less dignified Edward. His only character flaw was that he trusted too easily. While Bree was originally wary of him, Diego opened up to her immediately. And even when he saw that Riley had less then honorable intentions, he gave him the benefit of the doubt. Diego stood for everything that was friendly and optimistic - two traits which could never survive in a household of bloodthirsty and vengeful vampires. :(
December

Post by December »

Diego stood for everything that was friendly and optimistic - two traits which could never survive in a household of bloodthirsty and vengeful vampires.

Interesting observation! And raises the question of how any of the Cullens -- or Bella -- would have fared in Bree's circumstances. Jasper would obviously have been all right -- as would Edward probably. But Alice? Esme? Carlisle? (Tries to picture Carlisle in that 21st century teen hellhole and gives up...). And what about Bella? Does she have the necessary reserves of wariness and shrewdness to survive?
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

December wrote:Interesting observation! And raises the question of how any of the Cullens -- or Bella -- would have fared in Bree's circumstances. Jasper would obviously have been all right -- as would Edward probably. But Alice? Esme? Carlisle? (Tries to picture Carlisle in that 21st century teen hellhole and gives up...). And what about Bella? Does she have the necessary reserves of wariness and shrewdness to survive?

I doubt any of them would have the necessary suspicion in observing their comrades to survive. I can just imagine poor Esme trying to mother everyone and getting an arm torn off. :( Take for example how Esme and Carlisle reacted to Bree in her surrender; had that been any other vampire who they showed mercy, it would have ended very badly. Esme is too trusting and Carlisle too willing to see the good in others even where it may not exist. With crafty vampires like Raoul on the prowl in the coven, either of them would have made for an easy target, the same way Diego almost was in BT.

I think the best example of this might be Carlisle time spent with the Volturi. We all know the Volturi to be some pretty bad guys, but even still Carlisle was unwilling to say a thing against them. He managed to stay in their company only because the Volturi maintained a sense of civility to hide their true nature; what is they weren't so willing to hold back? I doubt Carlisle would have lasted very long. :(