A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Re: "Explorations" of Bree's Novella

Post by andypalmer »

Oh, I pretty sure standard firearms can't harm them. I'm also pretty sure no vampire would want to take a 120mm enriched uranium tungsten round from an M1A2 Abrams tank. I suspect a high velocity armor piercing round from a 50 caliber sniper rifle would at least have some effect. Nonetheless, the point of my earlier post was ammunition that would collapse on impact, spreading the flammable and volatile material around the impact area.

Really, why would vampires have worried about detection for millenia if nothing short of nuclear weaponry could harm them? It would be consistent with SM's mythos that some of the legends of how vampires can be killed are based on real events.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

andypalmer wrote:Really, why would vampires have worried about detection for millenia if nothing short of nuclear weaponry could harm them? It would be consistent with SM's mythos that some of the legends of how vampires can be killed are based on real events.
Not necessarily.

If people knew about them, chances are people would try to figure out ways of killing them. So perhaps they (the vamps) have little to fear from current technology, but they could cause a commotion big enough to spur the creation of new ones with potentially disastrous results. If the humans remain unaware of their threat, then they needn't worry about the humans making anything specifically to hurt them.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Discrepancies

Post by vampyre_princess »

Edwards Ragazza wrote:My discrepancy was Did Edward hear Bree when she was trying to tell him about the Volturi? Or did he not hear because he was so blocked everything out after what just happened and was focusing on Bella? Because I never had the impression that Bree was talking to Edward the whole time the Volturi were there.
I think that he did hear what she said... as Bella desriebs in BD... it's easier for a vampire to concentrate on more than one thing at once... so I think he could concentrate on what Bree was telling him, and keep an eye on Bella.

I got so frustrated by the fact Bree kept saying Edward's hair was red... Bella describes it as bronze coloured... and so must Jess as she understood which one of the Cullen's Bella was aksing about. Did this get to anyone else or just me?
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Well, it's not the most flattering way she might have chosen to describe Edward, but bronze-haired = dark red. She's just a lot more matter of fact about it than Bella. And of course to her, vampires aren't going to be jaw-droppingly beautiful, the way Edward appears to Bella's human eyes.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

Yeah I never thought of that. sorry. Just reading it that stuck out like a sore thumb... cause from Bella's description of him, I fell in love with Edward so much. It just wasn't right him being described less than perfectly :oops:
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
December

Post by December »

I know! Cunning of Stephenie, isn't it? So hard to imagine someone looking at Edward and not just thinking...swoon.

*ducks crowbars whistling past her ear*
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Knives »

andypalmer wrote:A few gaps in your logic. Where does SM state that her vampires are made of diamond? I'll give you some time to look. Go ahead. Hmm. No luck?
Just because the outer shell of vampires is hard and has some diamond-like visual qualities does not mean that they share key chemical qualities, such as boiling point and general flammability nor even their tensile strength or toughness (which for diamonds, is only rated fair). The refractive argument was a huge stretch as well.
The mysterious and enigmatic Ms. December would be the one to track down the source of the quote, but Ms. Meyer is on record as stating that vampire skin is "Like diamond, only harder." Note the deliberate wording of the phrase. Try shooting diamond with any form of ammunition on earth sometime. The bullet will break first.

As far as vampires and detection goes, I believe you and I had this discussion on the science thread, Rings. At least, I think we did. If we didn't, please let me know - it's a favorite pet subject of mine ^_^

- Knives
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
December

Post by December »

The mysterious and enigmatic Ms. December is touched by the mysterious and enigmatic Mr. Knives's confidence in her archival skills. I'm actually pretty useless at chasing up Stephenie's quotes except where it's something I've had occasion to write about myself -- but there are some people I could ask. I'll get back to you on this.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

Knives wrote:Try shooting diamond with any form of ammunition on earth sometime. The bullet will break first.
I am afraid you are sorely mistaken. As I stated before, the toughness rating of diamonds is far from extraordinary. While a typical bullet won't shatter a diamond, bullets will chip pieces off; high velocity armor piercing ammunition will chip even larger pieces off. It's basic physics.
December

Post by December »

ETA
There is this remark of Stephenie's in PC #6;

Stephenie wrote:A: They sparkle because they have turned to substance that is somewhat like diamond. Their bodies have hardened, frozen into a kind of living stone. Each little cell in their skin has become a separate facet that reflects the light. These facets have a prism-like quality–they throw rainbows as they glitter.
Would that be what you were thinking of, or did she specifically say "like diamond only harder"?