A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

Re: Fred's Power and Where Is He Now

Post by Oh-Marvelous-Things »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:Riley picked up all of his kids from the dregs, right? My money is on Fred being a brilliant but underprivelleged child, probably from an abusive home. To preserve himself from angry people, he would have been trying to make himself invisible or not worth noticing, maybe repelling people by acting weird because he was afraid a relationship would turn sour like his home did. That is exactly what his power does. People can't stand to think about him, even when he's not around. They call him "Freaky" not only because he's mentally repulsive, but because he wants them to so he can simply be left alone to study/think/do whatever it is that he does.
That seems to fit precisely right - good work! I agree.

Because if he was just one of those kids who just had really questionable hygiene as a human, it wouldn't make sense for that to follow him into his second life, since vampires don't have the same hygiene issues as humans. His power is more 'potent' (excuse the pun) than smell and nausea alone; he literally repels people from thinking of him.

I'd love to get more info on Fred! In some ways, I am more attached to him than I am to Bree or Diego. Do you guys think that if Bree succeeded in telling Edward about Fred through her thoughts during her last seconds, that he was one of the nomads that the Cullens tried to contact when they were pulling their forces together for BD?
For the latest news on The Host movie, novel, and sequels, visit...
TheHostFan.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Oh-Marvelous-Things wrote:His power is more 'potent' (excuse the pun) than smell and nausea alone; he literally repels people from thinking of him.
I also really doubt he smells. Vampires just don't stink, it would ruin their scent/pheremone attraction to their prey. Unless he has a scent that smells good to humans, but is repulsive to vampires. Like werewolf smell. But... vampireyer.
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

I never got the impression that Fred smelled bad at all. I always figured it was more like... his entire being repulsed people to the point that they disliked acknowledging his existence. In my mind, I thought of that one kid in high school who no one enjoyed even being around because it was uncomfortable - like they sent out awkward waves. You went out of your way to not talk to them, never looked up even when they spoke; they were a ghost more or less.

I think no one enjoyed having to be around Fred as a human so much so that as a vampire, a sort of barrier was created. If you can not stand someone enough, it gets to the point where they don't even register in your mind, right? Like, your whole being ignores them so well, they aren"t there basically.
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

From the Eclipse Fansite Interviews:
Freaky Fred: In his human life was that he was very introverted nerdy human science type very intelligent who observed everyone who kept his distance from people by always avoiding eye contact. That translated into his vampire repulsion technique no one wants to watch or see him. He still retains his intelligence and inquisitiveness.

I absolutely love it when we get new canon information. Squee!
TheHostFan.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

So I was right. Kinda. But, WHY was he introverted? People can just be naturally introverted, but to want to keep people away so badly it turns into a power that, uh, powerful, it must have an exterior reason. I want his back story, not just a general description. *grumbles*
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:So I was right. Kinda. But, WHY was he introverted? People can just be naturally introverted, but to want to keep people away so badly it turns into a power that, uh, powerful, it must have an exterior reason. I want his back story, not just a general description. *grumbles*
Ha ha. Well, I think we have a clue in his physical description. He's a fairly big guy - big, yet soft spoken. Bet he was that shy kid who normally would have stood out, but wanted to lurk in the background instead - no small feat given his enormous size. Big guys catch all kinds of stares, so Fred had to avoid looking at anyone. Maybe he was even insecure about his height and just wanted people to stop looking at him...
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Here's what Fred looks like:
He was tall, maybe six two, with the thick, curly blonde hair I'd noticed once before. He was broad-shouldered and muscular. ... like a college student ... he was good looking. As handsome as anyone else, maybe handsomer than most.
(Bree Tanner, p. 84)

Being a big guy wouldn't be why he'd want to keep people away. If he was good looking as a human, then maybe it was to keep stupid girls away while he was studying for his college thesis? ;)
I still think there was a psychological reason behind it. There usually is with vamp-powers.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Fred is one of the most interesting characters SM has written in the Twilight world. I would love to have more information on him! I think his talent is more mental than physical. I think he projects a state of mind onto the people he repels. So, I don't think his power would work on Bella. It would be very interesting to see Fred meet up with the Cullens.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I think that being a reuslive sort of power would be highly unusual anyway, but very effective. I mean, what was he like before he was turned then?
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

Total Twilight Fan wrote:I think that being a reuslive sort of power would be highly unusual anyway, but very effective. I mean, what was he like before he was turned then?
I agree - having a repulsive power is really unusual for a vampire, especially since their whole species is designed to be 'alluring' to their prey. In above posts, we've quoted the descriptions we've been given of Fred from Bree Tanner and from new fansite interviews; I love that we got some new Fred info. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by him, but I am!
TheHostFan.com